Slow release of White Speedmaster

Omega’s inability to deliver the White Speedmaster to loyal customers while the grey market is saturated with them is a bad look. I’ve paid in full for mine with an Omega Boutique where I have a strong buying history. No sign of the watch and no ETA. First world problems - but - seriously, this is so Rolex-like it makes me want to ask for a refund.

I'm sure you'll get yours eventually- but if you see one for less than what you paid no one could blame you for pulling the trigger on that one and asking for your money back. I've seen some on the gray market at markup. Doesn't really bother me, people will try to scalp these while they can.

The Omega boutique in the Trafford Centre in Manchester UK, had one in the window yesterday with a 'exclusive preview ' sign and no price so presumably they don't have any ready to sell. G
Edited:

Omega has clearly went down the path of Rolex, I personally think it’s scammy and lost my respect to omega. Shame, a great watchmaker gone

Omega has clearly went down the path of Rolex, I personally think it’s scammy and lost my respect to omega. Shame, a great watchmaker gone
Not really sure what you mean it’s a watch that’s only been released and they’re being pumped out in huge numbers as is evident by the number of owners here and the pile currently being scalped. These aren’t an LE, they’re going to keep making them so the price is going to stabilise before too long but in the mean time short of sending people to the gulag for flipping them there isn’t much you can do.

Know of a few people that have received theirs and a few waiting. Normal for a new watch getting released.
The Rolex connection is just 🤨 as no waiting list, just hot demand for a new release.
Flippers gunna flip, it’s what they do in everything from concert tickets to LEs to anything new.

Omega did a masterful job of teasing this watch with a couple of Daniel Craig wrist pics, and the internet took over. Why anyone would PIF for a normal production watch is strange but it seems many got sucked in to doing this. Cases of over exuberance and FOMO. I do fault the OB's who went down this PIF route where it was legal to do so, it was unnecessary and too Rolex-like, but it seems that is where Omega wants to go. Anyway, everyone will get their watch eventually. Remain calm and carry on.

Couldn't agree more, brother. The last time I was at my local Omega Boutique they only had one green aquaterra on hand for me to try on, and they told me that if I bought it I might be able to get a black Seamaster Professional sometime in the next year. They weren't even sure when I could get a black Speedmaster professional, but seemed to imply that if I bought a couple watches it might happen eventually.

I thought about it, but I don't really want to have to buy an aquaterra in order to get the black SMP that I want. So I left empty-handed, after having the SA add me to the list for a black SMP.

I looked at some online watch sellers but these second-hand market prices are still crazy, I don't want to pay 10 to 20% over MSRP for a standard release! I could understand if it was a super limited release like a Snoopy or maybe a brand new item with HIGH demand, but not being able to get an established and regular flagship of their brand is just crazy.

What a sad world we live in today

@ErichPryde I'm a bit confused by your comment. I see black SMPs selling for low to mid $3k on eBay recently. Way under retail. Of course those are pre-owned, not new. If I was in the market for a current gen SMP that’s the route I would go.

I do agree that them trying to get you to buy watches you don’t want to get a basic SMP is nonsense. I hope this is the exception at OBs and not the rule.

Omega did a masterful job of teasing this watch with a couple of Daniel Craig wrist pics, and the internet took over. Why anyone would PIF for a normal production watch is strange but it seems many got sucked in to doing this. Cases of over exuberance and FOMO. I do fault the OB's who went down this PIF route where it was legal to do so, it was unnecessary and too Rolex-like, but it seems that is where Omega wants to go. Anyway, everyone will get their watch eventually. Remain calm and carry on.

I paid in full because there was an expectation I would have it in a reasonable amount of time. When my OB only has the display watch some three months after the release it’s pretty clear Omega is either ill-equipped to make the watch OR are making it difficult to get in order to keep the hype going.

As it relates to flippers - Omega Boutique employees shouldn’t be selling these to people that don’t have a buying history.

@ErichPryde I'm a bit confused by your comment. I see black SMPs selling for low to mid $3k on eBay recently. Way under retail. Of course those are pre-owned, not new. If I was in the market for a current gen SMP that’s the route I would go.

I do agree that them trying to get you to buy watches you don’t want to get a basic SMP is nonsense. I hope this is the exception at OBs and not the rule.

I should have included an /s or emoji probably, but the entire post is tongue in cheek. Have you ever walked into an Omega Boutique and not been able to handle and look at almost any watch in their regular catalog short of an Ed White and maybe a Snoopy or other LE? I realize that Omega has some limited releases that seem to get "the Rolex treatment" but seriously. To be clear, I have never had anything short of a positive experience at an Omega Boutique and the story above is utter satire.

I think what bothers me about this entire chain of reasoning is that because of the scarcity, whether or not because of demand or artificially created, Rolex watches hold on to value pretty well, something that Omega watches don't (always) do. So the scarcity is fine until it suddenly is inconvenient. It's like, if you want unlimited availability at a lower price, buy Tissot. There's a sliding scale at work here, but people have illogical expectations that cause them to be quick to post nonsense seem to think that Omega should simultaneously somehow managed to be an investment, exclusive, but also highly available.

Like... this isn't isolated to luxury items but it is exactly part of the luxury item game.

Edit (edit((edit(((edit)))))) to add: TL;DR Omega has been making limited edition, highly exclusive watches for a handful of decades. Exclusively isn't a new thing to the brand. If anything the white speedy (un)availability due to demand demonstrates just how much more highly respected Omega is now seen by luxury watch buyers.
Edited:

I paid in full because there was an expectation I would have it in a reasonable amount of time. When my OB only has the display watch some three months after the release it’s pretty clear Omega is either ill-equipped to make the watch OR are making it difficult to get in order to keep the hype going.

As it relates to flippers - Omega Boutique employees shouldn’t be selling these to people that don’t have a buying history.

Have you shared your thought process and concerns directly with a sales associate at the boutique? If you can do it calmly and professionally, that might be a great first step. Maybe even get you some additional information.

I should have included an /s or emoji probably, but the entire post is tongue in cheek. Have you ever walked into an Omega Boutique and not been able to handle and look at almost any watch in their regular catalog short of an Ed White and maybe a Snoopy or other LE? I realize that Omega has some limited releases that seem to get "the Rolex treatment" but seriously. To be clear, I have never had anything short of a positive experience at an Omega Boutique and the story above is utter satire.

I think what bothers me about this entire chain of reasoning is that because of the scarcity, whether or not because of demand or artificially created, Rolex watches hold on to value pretty well, something that Omega watches don't (always) do. So the scarcity is fine until it suddenly is inconvenient. It's like, if you want unlimited availability at a lower price, buy Tissot. There's a sliding scale at work here, but people have illogical expectations that cause them to be quick to post nonsense seem to think that Omega should simultaneously somehow managed to be an investment, exclusive, but also highly available.

Like... this isn't isolated to luxury items but it is exactly part of the luxury item game.

Edit (edit((edit(((edit)))))) to add: TL;DR Omega has been making limited edition, highly exclusive watches for a handful of decades. Exclusively isn't a new thing to the brand. If anything the white speedy (un)availability due to demand demonstrates just how much more highly respected Omega is now seen by luxury watch buyers.

Not sure this response was directed at my original post - but - scarcity and inconvenience are two different things. I have an Ed White. It’s scarce and I waited a long time for it. It was worth it. The White Speedmaster was released in March. I am first on the list at an OB. I paid in full. It’s almost June. 20+ of them on Chrono 24 - but no ETA for mine. Inconvenient - yes. End of the world - no. It’s a strange way to handle loyal customers.

Not sure this response was directed at my original post - but - scarcity and inconvenience are two different things. I have an Ed White. It’s scarce and I waited a long time for it. It was worth it. The White Speedmaster was released in March. I am first on the list at an OB. I paid in full. It’s almost June. 20+ of them on Chrono 24 - but no ETA for mine. Inconvenient - yes. End of the world - no. It’s a strange way to handle loyal customers.

My response was aimed at the person that finds it so incredibly clear that Omega has become rolex. I think that your frustration is valid. My comment to you was the one asking if you had called your boutique.

My first post wasn't super clear, apologies.

I understand the frustration. My local OB asked for payment in full, which I declined. I put down a 20% deposit at my AD and I still haven’t heard anything. I am wondering if I should just forget about it and ask for my deposit back and wait until they maybe sell under retail gray. Although it was be a funny joke if they discontinued this model a year from now as unlikely as that would be

I should have included an /s or emoji probably, but the entire post is tongue in cheek.
Sorry it went right over my head. I’m usually pretty good with sarcasm.

Sorry it went right over my head. I’m usually pretty good with sarcasm.
I think if you just pretend that I am talking about wanting a black Submariner...

😉

On the other hand, there are white Speedmasters readily available in different OBs around the world. Enter, pay and leave with it. No need to be a loyal costumer, or a costumer at all. No reserve, no deposit. As any other normal product in any shop.