Forums Latest Members

Size is gettting sane again

1. JwRosenthal Oct 14, 2019

Just saw this

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/longines-legend-diver-36mm-black-dial
    C3B65074-72D0-48DC-B642-5DF00F52DFE3.jpeg A232BE12-DB1A-4A27-A98D-B2A61D36CA1B.jpeg E145CDA1-8A4F-4C31-AC98-B01D1EBFD9D0.jpeg

Next to an original one
    3340E374-7095-4045-AFFE-DB0BEDF15F35.jpeg
    Looks like the industry may be swinging the pendulum back to “normal” sizes. The Rado Captain Cook at 37mm was a breathe of fresh air to me as a return to sane sizing, then they brought out the big ones which made me think it was just a fluke.

Any others going back to “regular” size?

Tako Yaki, michael22, Wivac and 6 others like this.
  2. Henneth Oct 14, 2019

Beautiful watch, but why didn’t they match the lume color on hands and dial? ::confused2::

Jantar and KstateSkier like this.
  3. DeepBlue Oct 14, 2019

I hope so. 36-38mm watches is the sweetspot. Atleast for me anyway.

Tako Yaki, Tony, Canoeist and 4 others like this.
  4. saulgoodman Oct 14, 2019

I know this is subjective and dictated by wrist size for the most part, but what do you consider “normal“ sizes? For me with a 7 inch wrist 36 mm to 42 mm, depending on the type and style of watch, seems to be my sweet spot.

To answer your question, it seems to me that micro brands may be leading the way. Halios and Monta for example, seem to be coming up with more traditional sizes while Omega for some reason persist in putting out larger watches like the recent 43 mm aqua terra GMT.

5. JwRosenthal Oct 14, 2019

Same as you, 36-42 for me (but over 38 it needs a pronounced bezel which tends to make them wear smaller). I don’t think we will ever see a return under 36 for a man’s watch, but it’s nice to see the size reduction starting from the big companies.

Canoeist and ckamp like this.
  6. Pun Oct 14, 2019

I still consider 35-38mm as the most decent size for a gentleman’s watch. It was there for many decades before Quartz crisis disrupted the entire market sentiments. It’s a good sign that sanity is coming back in one of the most civilized legacies of the mankind.

Canoeist, Tony and Larry S like this.
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 14, 2019

No Date! No Date! No Date!

8. Pun Oct 14, 2019

I agree! Agree! Agree!

Spruce, Caliber561 and wagudc like this.
  9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 14, 2019

Many people are asking for 36mm-38mm and I'm over here asking for 32-35mm. "Normal" sizing for decades. I'm looking at you, Longines.

Though that diver is excellent and a proper size.

10. saulgoodman Oct 14, 2019

I know what you mean about the pronounced bezel on the larger watches. My biggest watch is a 42 mm Hamilton GMT that I have owned for a few years. Until recently, it looked dainty next to some of the wrist tanks that some of the industry was putting out. Recently, I have been looking at it and wondering if it is time for it to go based on it’s size. I only wear it when I travel, and it has quite a few memories attached to it, so I will probably hang on to it. But this is definitely as big as I want to go. I sure wish Hamilton made this model, and many of their other 42 models in 38 mm and 40 mm.

F5FAF95F-0522-4D68-92E5-ED664152E14A.jpeg

Tony and Vitezi like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Oct 14, 2019

A few years ago Hamilton did the khaki field watch in 36mm. Those of us who have the original military watches (which were 33mm) we’re thrilled to see it- then bye-bye. Out came the 38mm mechanical in its place which totally screws the form factor of that watch.
    These guys tickle the market and if it doesn’t catch like wildfire instantly, they discontinue then go back to what’s safe.
    I think the issue with many of these big companies is that they are like an oil tanker and take forever to change course. The smaller companies (micro-brands) are far more lithe.

kkt and Pun like this.
  12. WatchCor Oct 14, 2019

Absolutely a wonderful trend imo. Most of my collection is 36-40mm and it is the sweet spot for me with my wrist size.

13. saulgoodman Oct 14, 2019

I think beyond that the fact is that the watch industry, like most other sellers of accessories, caters to fashion trends. There are far many more customers who know squat about watches but want to be trendy, than there are WIS. The watch companies know where their bread is buttered and until fashion trends change, they will cater to their bigger sectors.

14. JwRosenthal Oct 14, 2019

A quote from the Hondinkee article which I find amusing

“This watch is specifically geared toward the ladies (hey now!), but after a brief chat with my H Bros, we all agree this watch is perfectly suitable for men too (it’s a gender neutral world and I’m just living in it).”

I have no problem being in touch with my feminine side. :p

kkt, michael22 and Kbjohn like this.
  15. saulgoodman Oct 14, 2019

It wasn’t that long ago that the standard size for men’s watches was 34 mm. I still have one, and it looks pretty good! My wife saw it on me for the first time in a while the other day and she asked me why I was wearing a girls watch, LOL! It is a different world!

16. JwRosenthal Oct 14, 2019

Totally agreed, but I am hoping this is the beginning of the industry responding to a change in the trend. There is no doubt that the vintage watch craze of the last decade has fueled the deluge of re-issues and remodels, almost all of which have been upsided for modern tastes. But I am thinking that the pursuit of “authenticity” that has been so prevalent over the last 5 years among the hipster crowd is making the consumers balk at the mammoth sizes- they don’t look/wear like the originals.
    I think we have seen a few upsized reissues that turned out to be huge dissapointments like the Hamilton Intramatic ‘68 Chrono becuase it was just too big at 42mm (minimal bezel, all dial to the edge). If they had done that watch in 38mm, I think it would have appealed to a much wider audience, both male and female, collectors and trend buyers.

17. percymon Oct 14, 2019

Apart from a gold Seiko dress watch I chose for my 16th birthday (34 years ago) which looks like a childs sized watch these days, the smallest I have is 39mm Seamaster quartz. I can wear that today and be reasonably comfortable with the looks; the simplicity and clarity of the dial and bezel no doubt helps. Now if I put on a 40mm speedmaster FOIS it looks absolutely lost on my wrist, even a 42mm Moonwatch looks small to my eye. Yet I look at the WRUW today thread 6+ times a day and most speedies look huge, either the effect of a close up photo or many people here have small wrists. My flighmaster I would call about normal for me (case width, forget depth), my PO is a touch on the big size but I do have other 44-46mm watches which sit more comfortably to my eye (albeit they are more complex Chrono /pilot type dials).

So for me 39-40mm with a plain dial, 44-46mm for a Chrono or multiple dial.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 14, 2019

I have long questioned watches the size of dinner plates. I applaud the trend.

Tako Yaki, Tony, Pun and 1 other person like this.
  19. Stufflers Mom Oct 14, 2019

The trouble with these smaller watches can be that while the case size is reduced the height of the cases don't always follow with the result being you have a small top heavy and out of proportion wristwatch.

drhombus24 and Larry S like this.
  20. penninn Oct 14, 2019

Totally agree with you here. I almost bought the 42mm longings about a year ago but it’s just to big for me. This is ideal size !

Epictetus likes this.