Forums Latest Members

Should my Jumbo Seamaster 2976 crystal have an Omega Logo

1. DJG2645 Nov 15, 2020

Hi OF,

I was wearing my much loved SM 2976 today and I noticed my crystal doesn't have the omega logo in centre. I think this has probably been replaced at some point.

I am curious if an Omega crystal would be hard to source?

The current crystal/acrylic feels a little plasticy so wondering if an Omega one would be feel more like glass?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this :)
    Regards,
    Dave

IMG_20201030_102528.jpg IMG_20201030_102518.jpg

Shabbaz and Spruce like this.
  2. SkunkPrince Nov 15, 2020

Looks like late 50s, so I would suggest most likely would have.

3. riimar Nov 16, 2020

4. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Nov 16, 2020

If the current crystal is ok I wouldn't sweat it. Crystal's are consumable items and were routinely changed along with crowns during the lifetime of a watch.
    Doubt a omega logo crystal will feel any different and the only person that will notice is you when looking through a loupe.
    If you find it bothers you over time then wait until a service or repair is due and do it then

5. new_heuer Nov 16, 2020

The genuine Omega crystal is available from cousins for £21.91 plus VAT

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 09.07.11.png
    Shabbaz likes this.
  6. DJG2645 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think it is only right it gets a proper Omega Glass! Especially thanks to @new_heuer that's so kind of you to find the correct one for me! I will be purchasing one of those today :)

Shabbaz and new_heuer like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2020

Can I ask how you selected this as the correct crystal? I've just gone onto the site, searched for case 2976, and looked for the ":glass" as they call it there, and it comes up as "No results found", so I'm curious how you determined that this was the right crystal?

The crystal for this case is 063PZ5171.

For the OP - the chances of this being an original crystal are very slim, and these are changed regularly at service. There is possibly a difference between an Omega crystal and a generic one - it is not just cosmetic with the symbol as has been suggested. The tension rings in Omega crystals are often stepped, and this provides a recess in the ring for the dial to sit in. Generic crystals don't usually have this same step, so this can lead to damage on the perimeter of the dial, they can cause the movement to sit further back in the case than it should, etc.

This is a photo of a generic tension ring on the left, and an Omega one on the right:

[​IMG]

The arrows represent the width of the outer part of the crystal - little difficult to see here but the one on the right has a step in the tension ring.

Here is a tension ring removed form a crystal, so you can see the step more clearly:

[​IMG]

This is more than just a logo in the middle of the crystal.

Cheers, Al

8. DJG2645 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks very much for the detail @Archer, I should have mentioned that I am planning to get my SM in for a service (not Omega) and thought it a good time to address the crystal and let someone far more qualified than me replace it for me if needed :).