Forums Latest Members
  1. John R Smith Oct 15, 2013

Right, another historical question from Smith ::jumpy::

We have already established the start dates for copper-plated movements.

We all know that genuine Omega crystals have the little Omega symbol dead centre, like this -

'62 Seamaster-9.jpg

When did this symbol start to appear? Does anyone out there know?

Thanks in advance for your input . . .

Magnix and sphinx77 like this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

There was a discussion around this issue here fairly recently, but I don't the thread, hopefully someone else will remember.

I do know that the crystal on one of my 1952 Constellations has an original signed crystal.

sphinx77 likes this.
  3. mac_omega Oct 15, 2013

I also have a question about Omega logo on crystals for the Speedy experts:

Did the early Speedmaster models like 2915 and 2998 already have a logo on the crystal or not?

Thank you in advance

flqt-9000 likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 15, 2013

Yes.

5. ulackfocus Oct 15, 2013

The start of logo crystals would have been in the very early 50's.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 15, 2013

I believe that is generally correct. However, different models started at different dates. I think the Centenary had signed crystals from the very beginning in 1948, as did the Seamasters. I don't think the famed 1953 "Broad Arrow" watches for the British Military had the logo crystals originally. You have to remember that some people replaced crystals along the way and if they went to a factory authorized shop, they may have received logo crystals on Omegas that didn't originally have them.

For example, I recently replaced a crystal on a 1950 Chronometer that did not have a logo. Omega looked up the case reference and ordered one from Switzerland that had the logo. So now if you looked at the watch you'd think that that particular case reference (2517) always had logo crystals. In reality, there is no way that I know for sure whether it did or did not.

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

Tako Taki 8, DaveK and sphinx77 like this.
  7. John R Smith Oct 16, 2013

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic. There is probably no way of being absolutely sure on this issue, other than by finding some documentary evidence from the factory. As Gator points out, there is no way of knowing whether or not a watch actually retains its original crystal, so the best we can do is make an educated guess.

8. mstanga Oct 16, 2013

Yes it's true but they are not all identical
    starting 50's until late 70's we find a kind of logo, later another one, so it is very easy to understand if you have a proper crystal or not on your 2915 or 2998 :)

sphinx77 likes this.
  9. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 16, 2013

My 2699 came into my possession in mint condition with an omega logo on the crystal which I believe original to the watch.

[​IMG]

movement serial # 13.54X.XXX ...

felsby likes this.
  10. mstanga Oct 16, 2013

What you are saying might be correct.
    All you have to do is to look very close at the Omega logo's legs, because the more recents' one are different than the older one. :)

felsby likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

That's called 'happy feet'.

12. mstanga Oct 16, 2013

With the little help of some pictures it could be easier to explain.
    ORIGINAL.jpg AFTER MARKET.jpg

sphinx77 likes this.
  13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Oct 16, 2013

[​IMG]

Made in China

[​IMG]

60's original

14. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 16, 2013

The "legs" of the symbol are also longer on
    original crystals just like on the crowns.
    I also have a pet theory I can't prove that
    these symbols were lined up straight at
    the build and an NOS(or untouched) watch should have
    the symbol aligned straight up. I have an NOS 145.022
    that still has the wax seal and it's lined up perfect.

145_012.jpg

kkt and TJH like this.
  15. John R Smith Oct 16, 2013

Well it certainly makes sense that the factory would have lined up the Omega symbols perfectly. I thought that the example I gave you at the top of this thread was an original crystal. It was on a 1962 Seamaster and it was lined up perfectly. The crystal was also pretty scratched up when I got it, and I spent a pleasant afternoon buffing all the marks out. But now it seems that it may not have been.

Actually, I have a terrible confession to make. When I have had the crystal replaced (as on my black dial 2635 recently) I have specified a generic crystal, not because I am a skinflint but because I am so rough on them. The watches that I wear always seem to get scratched up no matter how hard I try to be careful. I may as well buy the cheaper crystals and replace them often.

Tako Taki 8 and felsby like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

A couple of further observations:

1. I think you are giving Omega too much credit for lining up the logos. I know MSNWatch has a couple of NOS vintage Omegas. I wonder if the logos on his crystals line up like that. I have a couple of Omegas which I believe have original crystals. Neither line up. However, my watches are not NOS. The crystal orientation could have been changed when the watches were last serviced.

2. The "After Market" picture is actually a modern OEM Omega crystal. It is the same as on my 1950 Chronometer that was sent to Omega NYC for crystal replacement. It also may have been used on some of the older 1950's and '60's crystals. Remember that Omega used several suppliers for peripheral parts like crystals, crowns watchbands and buckles. The logos each supplier used may have been a bit different.

3. While I don't doubt that there are counterfeit Omega crystals out there, I'm not convinced it's possible to prove a particular crystal is fake simply by looking at the logo. Now if you get your Omega serviced in a Beijing back alley, that's another story...:p

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 16, 2013

I have to agree with gator, I'm sitting here with a c-case Constellation with a cyclops crystal and the Omega symbol is 90 degrees off, so clearly if Omega didn't care if they were made with the symbol oriented "correctly" I doubt they were all put on lined up perfectly either.

DaveK and sphinx77 like this.
  18. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 16, 2013

As I said, it's just a pet theory. There are a lot out there though.
    And that would make them all coincidences I guess.
    I just now did a google image search for NOS Omega
    and grabbed this off another forum. Due to angle of photo, symbol is
    at 11 oclock. My 145.022 NOS is just like this.
    http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=msg&th=196997&rid=0
    Coincidence?

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

Omega QC might be better now than it was then. I think XJR proved the point for vintage crystals, at least.
    gatorcpa

20. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 16, 2013