Should I trade my Speedy for a SM300?

Hi All

One for the naysayers and enablers alike: I've got a Speedmaster 145.022-78 (movement s/n 44820xxx)

Good condition, unpolished case but clearly worn and well-loved (dings and scuffs and so on). An honest example.

But I have a hankering for a SM300 (166.024 / 165.024).

Random and somewhat gratuitous picture for those who don't know what a vintage SM300 looks like -- and for the rest you who do and just want some eye-candy:

IMG_0575.jpeg

I know these are a real minefield: plenty of frankens, re-dials and otherwise wrong ones out there, not to mention the outright fakes. (Heck you can even buy a case / dial / handset kit on etsy -- presumably Chinese -- and drop in your own cal. 552. I wish I'd bought a watchco job back when they were reasonably priced!)

Anyway: pros and cons? Prices? (I'm assuming I'd be trading up and adding cash to whatever the Speedy is worth.) Would you?

Thanks

‘78 Speedy is nothing “special” (no offense to anyone), post step dial and pretty much the same until the 90’s. As Fred said, SM300’s are much rarer. I would say your ‘78 would be worth about 2/3-1/2 what a decent vintage 300 (condition assumed as decent in both)
I own a watchco and love it- frankly if you are patient they do pop up and can be had around $4k last I checked (although since they tightened up the rules on buying cases from Omega, the secondary market on watchco’s has all but dried up). Just make sure if you are after a watchco that it was built with genuine Omega parts and not an Etsy kit.

Even if the vintage Seamaster is not seen very often, I would keep the Speedmaster just for the reason that I like it more..😀

Hi All

One for the naysayers and enablers alike: I've got a Speedmaster 145.022-78 (movement s/n 44820xxx)

Good condition, unpolished case but clearly worn and well-loved (dings and scuffs and so on). An honest example.

But I have a hankering for a SM300 (166.024 / 165.024).

Random and somewhat gratuitous picture for those who don't know what a vintage SM300 looks like -- and for the rest you who do and just want some eye-candy:

IMG_0575.jpeg

I know these are a real minefield: plenty of frankens, re-dials and otherwise wrong ones out there, not to mention the outright fakes. (Heck you can even buy a case / dial / handset kit on etsy -- presumably Chinese -- and drop in your own cal. 552. I wish I'd bought a watchco job back when they were reasonably priced!)

Anyway: pros and cons? Prices? (I'm assuming I'd be trading up and adding cash to whatever the Speedy is worth.) Would you?

Thanks
Is the watch pictured here the actual one you'll be getting?

My feeble brain does not comprehend having one at the expense of the other.

My feeble brain does not comprehend having one at the expense of the other.
More of a yes, and kind of guy.

If the hankerin is that intense yes go for it, seldom do I deny a strong hankerin

It all depends on conditions of all components and age correctness of all parts. These watches are often Frankensteined . A rubbish sm300 not worth a pristine Speed, and viceversa

Is the watch pictured here the actual one you'll be getting?

No just a random pic

No just a random pic

If thats true, and you want one in similar condition/attraction as the one you pictured, then unless your '78 is collector grade + B&P, you will still have to put a lot of cash on the table with the watch.

The main con in your idea is that there are so many fakes on the market you really have to do your homework or you will get ripped off. Also, it is unlikely someone who has a Seamaster 300 you want also wants your Speedmaster in a trade. They probably will only want cash, which means you either buy it when you see it and sell your Speedmaster separately, or sell the Speedmaster first to get some of the cash.

Revo......did you pupate and come out as a horological butterfly? 😗😁.

I say go for it if you can find the right watch, but then again you put a lot of effort into that Speedmaster so there must be a bit of a bond formed!

After looking at many SM300's recently and seeing just how many fakes and new builds there are, I highly recommend posting photos of the watch in question as long as it doesn't impact the deal.

After looking at many SM300's recently and seeing just how many fakes and new builds there are, I highly recommend posting photos of the watch in question as long as it doesn't impact the deal.
Agreed. This is like trying to buy an all original Ranchero. Be careful.