Forums Latest Members
  1. reverbtime Jan 20, 2020

Hello, newbie here! I have a 40mm Oris Artelier Date in very good condition which is just a little to big for my 6.5 in. wrist. I am being offered to trade it for a 1975 Omega Geneve 166.0163 automatic with caliber 1012. The person says the Omega Geneve was last serviced in 2018.

Just read the fantastic thread here called "Learn How to Fish", which makes me conclude that I don't see razor sharp edges on the Geneve, so it probably has been polished/overpolished? How does the movement and dial look and is this a good movement/model?

Would this be a good deal, or should I keep the Oris perhaps? Thank you for any help!!

[​IMG]

gen8.png gen7.png gen6.png gen4.jpg gen3.jpg gen2.jpg gen1.jpg
    Edited Jan 20, 2020
  2. Canuck Jan 20, 2020

Keep the Oris. This later calibre from Omega was in the dying days of Omega, before Swatch bought the company. These later calibers from Omega are not popular among collectors, so keep you eyes peeled for a good one at a good price. You’ll end up with two watches.

Uniqez, DaveK and kip595 like this.
  3. kip595 Jan 20, 2020

At a guess, you might be actually be able to flip your Oris, find a decent Geneve, and have some profit left to pocket or spend towards extras like a bracelet or leather wrist strap. That would probably be a greater investment of your time on investigation and searching though.

4. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 20, 2020

I started off with two Oris Big Crowns, which I still have and love but rarely get wrist time. I’ve since acquired four Omega Geneve's, which I wear and rotate regularly. I’m a fan!

I’d recommend a 5** movement automatic Geneve, nice faces and lovely looking movements regularly available on eBay in gold plate or stainless steel for around £500, give or take, or a little more for 9 carat.

These late 60s watches generally have slimmer, less clunky cases than the one you’ve photographed.

5. Dan S Jan 20, 2020

As mentioned above, the Geneve is an ok example of an entry-level Omega from slightly after the golden age. However, if that is what you're looking for, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have the slightest idea how much your Oris is worth, but if it's worth more than the Omega, you can still work out a trade with cash thrown in. Could be less work than having to sell the Oris separately.

kip595 likes this.
  6. Donn Chambers Jan 21, 2020

As others have said, I wouldn’t do a straight trade for that Geneve — your Oris is much more attractive. IF it were a 50s era Seamaster or Constellation instead, I’d be all for it. But not for a Geneve.

7. reverbtime Jan 21, 2020

Thank you for all the help! I have decided to keep the Oris (might sell it in the future). The person with the Omega did not ask too many questions about my Oris which brought a red flag to my head that he might to trying to get to rid of it soon for an issue it might have.

And as many mentioned this Geneve is not particularity desirable. So for my first vintage Omega I will keep on an eye for a vintage Constellation with 56x movement instead!

wilderbeast likes this.