Forums Latest Members

Should I swap my 1863 for new 3861 sapphire??

1. Speedy17 Apr 29, 2021

Hey Folks - I know there are a bunch of threads on this already but was wondering if I made a mistake by recently getting an 1863, and whether I should swap for a sapphire 3861. This is my first speedy and I have always wanted one. Got it for a milestone celebration and it's something I want to keep and eventually pass to my kids. I have reached out to the AD to see if swap is an option.

Would love your thoughts / help folks! Thanks all!

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2021

What are you hoping to gain?

Scarecrow Boat and Foo2rama like this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Apr 29, 2021

Are you asking if someone will trade you a new 3861 for your 1863? Unlikely.

4. Speedy17 Apr 29, 2021

The higher magnetic resistance (i feel like the 1863 is already magnetized a bit from working on my computer because it seems to be running a little fast - checked next to a compass and the needle moved) and newer bracelet style.

Is there any downside beside upfront cost for the swap? I believe I read the 3861 movement will be more expensive to service in the future (but hopefully at less frequency)?

I've asked my AD if I can swap the two and pay the difference to see if it's even an option.

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2021

If it is really annoying you then maybe you should do the swap, but my question was really to ask have you analysed why you want to. If it was just 'newer is best so I'll have that' then that's not a great reason but I see you have thought it through. I don't honestly think you can easily magnetise a modern watch all that easily unless you are working with a cyclotron on a regular basis so I honestly doubt you have a problem there. it might be running badly for a number of reasons but I doubt magnetic flux is the issue. I haven't magnetised a watch in 30 years and I have worked with some devices that have the capability to generate sizeable fields. if you have, you'll know since it will run very fast, not just a few seconds a day, more like minutes.

There are some downsides to changing, I don't personally like the new bracelet design, the less traditional and less balanced text layout and the increase in price. The step dial is a nice plus though so go with what you feel is best. Servicing is a bit of a red herring. The 1861 is easier for an Indy to work on but with the parts limitations even they will have problems before too long unless they have a parts account. I don't believe the 3861 has a longer service interval, the coax escapement doesn't magically make the other moving parts not need periodic maintenance.

Neither is a bad choice really.

Edited Apr 29, 2021
    Caliber561 and blufinz52 like this.
  6. Speedy17 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks for the reply. This was super helpful and much appreciated! My watch seems to be picking up about 20-30 secs a day roughly. What else could be causing that? If I end up keeping it and not swapping, assume that i should send to Omega to take a look because it is basically new?

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2021

Yes that is a lot and does warrant investigation. The problem is if you send it away for rectification you will be without it for weeks, maybe months. Maybe a swap is the best answer for you!

8. Evitzee Apr 29, 2021

How new is new? 20-30 seconds per day is excessive, is this rate greater than it was when you got it? I just don't think magnetization is really that much of a problem in real life if you take a few precautions, like don't put your watch next to your phone or on your tablet's magnetic cover at night. If it really is magnetized buy a good demagnetizer and do it yourself. It's a ten second operation. It seems like you are talking yourself into not liking your 1863 for whatever reason. A new, or updated, model of any product is NOT an automatic improvement. Some are, some aren't.

9. Speedy17 Apr 29, 2021

It's only a couple of weeks old. Not sure if it was fast from the outset. I was reading about the precautions you mentioned; however, one night I took it off for a few mins and put on my desk a few inches from my laptop and forgot to move it when i went to bed so it sat there overnight. Then I decided to check it out and noticed the compass needle move and seems to pick up ~1 min over three days vs. time on my phone.

To be honest I have wanted a Speedy for a while, and this was my first significant watch purchase (and probably only one for a while) so i wanted to make sure that I made the right decision....So I wanted to get others opinions as well ... Sorry if this seems silly...

10. Evitzee Apr 29, 2021

It's not silly to you, but it is likely irrational to us sitting in the peanut gallery. The older version went strong for over 50 years with little real change, it isn't any less of a desirable watch now that there is a new kid on the block. But you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to flip it for a 3861 version. Most dealers won't take a definitely used watch back without you taking a real hit in the wallet. Unless he also has a case of 'pre-owned' watches in his store he really won't want to take the watch back as he can't sell it as new.

11. Gruesome Apr 29, 2021

I see two issues:
    - the 'running fast' issue should get sorted out. Unfortunately that might involve a trip of your watch to the Omega service center. I'm not sure what the specs are for the 1861/1863 movements, so this may or may not be a warranty issue.
    - the 'which watch should I have bought' issue. I think there are equally valid reasons to get the last of the space certified 1861 Speedmasters (or 1863 with see-through case back), and to get the coaxial manual wind 3861 update. Personally, if I would go coaxial, I would go for one of the more modern 9300 or 9900 column wheel vertical clutch automatics (like the 9300 I actually own, and wear all the time).
    So, I don't think there is anything wrong with buying the last 1861/1863 before they disappear. It's a good decision, and probably smarter and more enjoyable than to put that money into the stock market...

Vaipec and Stripey like this.
  12. speedyproftw Apr 29, 2021

Dedalus05 likes this.
  13. kcgunner Apr 30, 2021

I'm kinda in the same boat. I bought my 1861 last August. Now I want the 3861. But I'll wait until later this year or next. The prices haven't come down that much so I can't eat probably 2k in price difference. But if you're gaining that much time have it looked at. I hate that mine gains +10 s/day so +20-30 would really bug me.

14. hronists Apr 30, 2021

So, you got a watch you've always wanted, celebrated milestone, wanted to pass to your kids.

Now there is another watch that you want and most likely pass to your kids etc etc.

Be careful, it's a dangerous path :)

Charlemagne1333 likes this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 30, 2021

The watch you have had all the kinks worked out and fixed by small tweaks over time...

The new watch is having all the kinks worked out by people wearing them now...

I know which one I would be keeping ;)

MtnMarine and fendushi like this.
  16. fendushi Apr 30, 2021

I will eventually add a 3861 to my collection but I will never give up my 1863. It's the last of the non coaxial movement.

17. Speedy17 May 3, 2021

Thanks for this and for all the feedback from others. I really appreciate it! I’m leaning towards keeping it but still haven’t got final confirmation from the AD either way.

At the end of the day I think one of the main drivers for wanting to swap is that my new 1863 is running fast which it shouldn’t be because its brand new which is a bummer... hopefully omega can solve this ...