Forums Latest Members

Is the 300MC too big for me? Should I swap for the Trilogy Seamaster?

1. Jetguy87 Feb 22, 2019

Hi all -- posting two pictures (sorry for the quality!) for some opinions: does this 300MC work on my wrist size (~6.5"), or does it look like a dinner plate? Thoughts and reasons for my question after the pics....
    IMG_7726.JPG

IMG_7727.jpg

I've had it for just over three years (since late 2015) and love it, but the only thing that's kind of bothered me is the size, as I think it wears a bit big. When Omega announced the trilogy in 2017, I was thus very interested -- the trilogy Seamaster, with its 39 mm diameter and thinner case (I think the difference is around 1mm?) was very appealing.

I've tried the trilogy Seamaster on a few times. Although it's beautiful, and the smaller diameter is nice, it initially felt disproportionate. The thickness of the case, I felt, was not proportionate to its diameter. Put differently, even though the 300MC is both thick and wears big, the thickness and diameter match each other. The trilogy, on the other hand, seemed too thick for its overall size.

That said, I've gone back a few times and it's grown on me to the point that, if I come across one at the right price, I'm thinking about picking it up and selling my 300MC.

At the same time (and maybe I'm just rationalizing), there are clear things about the 300MC that I prefer: it's the only piece with a ceramic bezel in my collection and I like the dial more than the trilogy version (recessed hour markers, more texture on the dial itself, and less aggressive fauxtina). I also consider it a compromise between the extremes of the trilogy (or the original CK2913) and a PO (which I've occasionally thought about, but is way too big for me, even in the 2500 version). That is, it has vintage cues, but with its thicker bezel and overall proportions, it's closer to the size and presence of a PO. So the only thing that the trilogy has going for it is its size and more vintage-style feel.

2. Folgono Feb 22, 2019

What is the size of your wirst ? Mine is 6.5" and I wore this 300MC a few times. Size is pretty ok, on the large side for my wrist but I can still appreciate it. However the smaller Omega divers with the new gen calibers like the PO 37.5mm feel pretty ridiculous and even worse than the 42mm version because they decreased the diameter but basically kept the same thickness.

Considering the picture the size seems to suit you despite the fact that watches tend to seem a tad bigger on wristshots so I would keep it if you like it. If you need a reason for a new watch that's a different story. :D

superfly likes this.
  3. Lbreak Feb 22, 2019

From the pictures, I think it looks fine. Be sure to remember pictures often do not represent the fit and feel in person, so take all of our opinions with a grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you are digging the style, I would say both PO and Trilogy would be great choices. Speaking from my experience with my 6.7 inch wrist, if you like ceramic bezels, I think the new PO 37.5mm would be worth checking out. In my opinion, PO 37.5mm is a tad too thick in terms of proportion. I kinda agree with you that the trilogy seamaster would be a good choice if you find the 300MC too big. 14mm thickness is alright, you will get used to it :D, but the price is higher than a 300MC or latest PO...

4. JeremyS Feb 22, 2019

Looks fine on your wrist—the second pic especially. I would say you’re fine as long as you feel comfortable. You could try the 39.5mm Planet Ocean, but I think the 300 looks great.

The Trilogy version is lovely, but I prefer the ceramic bezel of the regular 300 better. The ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal are more scratch resistant.

Jas likes this.
  5. italy1861 Feb 22, 2019

Looks fine to me , it sounds like you like the watch so I’d say keep on enjoying it..

6. Au79 Aluminium Feb 22, 2019

I think it looks good on your wrist also. I don't think it looks large at all. If comfort is an issue, one thing I'd like to note is where you wear the watch on your wrist makes a difference IMHO. It looks like you like to wear your watch right over your wrist fold. Because of my abnormally protruding wrist bone, I can't wear it like you do. It hits my bone and is uncomfortable. I wear my watches higher on my wrist toward my arm. I find that even larger clunky watches are more comfortable to wear this way and i too have a relatively small wrist. I wear it like this.

PSX_20190222_080836.jpg
    Tet and valkyrie_rider like this.
  7. Stufflers Mom Feb 22, 2019

It will ultimately comes down to what you prefer, but if it were me I'd choose the SM300MC all day long.

7e09a99e-3b48-470d-9c41-2bf215d0c199_zpsfqzp94ip.jpg

8. jownz Feb 22, 2019

Hello all (and sorry for my english writing),

Sounds fine too me, especially the second pic. I owned the SM300MC a few months on 7" wrist and had the same questions about swapping to the SM300 Trilogy, that i tried several times, and finally bought the Speedy Trilogy (not so logical, i admit..). If swap, You'll get a "vintage feel" but lose the ceramic, the brushed case-back (Trilogy's case back scares me every time i change the bracelet or put on a table..) and it will become more shiny and less-toolish, so there is no good compromise imo.

Why not try it on a strap ? It feels more casual and less bulky.

9. Hec Feb 22, 2019

I think you need the Trilogy Seamaster also. You definitely must own both so you can wear one or the other depending on how the wrist feels on that particular day.

I am sure this is what you wanted to hear! ;)

Happy Friday!

Jetguy87 likes this.
  10. zrleopold Feb 22, 2019

I think it looks good! The 300MC is my favorite modern diver!

11CB3791-D81B-4B43-AC82-C867CC612997.jpeg
  11. VintageWatchIta Feb 22, 2019

In my opinion, your 300MC looks fine and fits well on your wrist, it is proportionated. Yes the Trilogy is a bit thinner but I would keep the 300MC! :thumbsup:

12. Bimmerman77 Feb 22, 2019

Looks great man. It’s ultimately up to you, but I’d wear it and not think twice about it.

13. Jetguy87 Feb 22, 2019

Thanks everyone for your replies! Seems like the consensus is that I can pull it off (though additional opinions are always welcome ::popcorn::). Great pics too!

About 6.5" last I checked, and I feel the same way -- just scratching the upper limit of what I can wear, but I can still get away with it.

If I had unlimited money and space, sure :D But unfortunately the two of them are just too similar...

14. solesman Feb 24, 2019

I had the Spectre 300 and felt it wore that little bit too big on my 6.75in wrist. It was the end links on the bracelet that made it look a little big. I sold it on for the 300 60th and no issues at all. The bracelet end links are much better and it wears amazingly. Both great watches. It's how it feels to you though that matters.

15. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 24, 2019

Jetguy87 likes this.
  16. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Feb 24, 2019

I have the same issue with the wrist bone, often think about getting a bastard file onto it;)

Fantastic TV dial BTW, that's one of my all time favourite Speedmasters!

Au79 likes this.