Forums Latest Members

Should I put the original crystal on this vintage Omega Seamaster?

1. lawler Jun 13, 2020

I bought a vintage Omega Seamaster from the forum recently, as pictured, and would like some advice on the crystal if possible.

The seller sent the watch with an aftermarket crystal that does not have the magnified date window and is a simple domed crystal.

He also included an original signed crystal that he believes is the correct one for this watch. However, he did state that his watch servicer tried to fit this previously and was not able to (picture below).

I am getting the watch ready to send for a service in the UK with Simon Freese as it is running extremely fast and wondering whether to ask if he can fit this crystal and whether I should do so?

Most pictures online of this reference watch do not have the magnified crystal, especially on the black dial watches of this model.

Would you recommend getting this done and does anyone have any pictures examples of this watch (or one similar) that has an original crystal with the magnified date window?

1536D315-0143-4A10-8440-B0EF71FBDFD3.png

5FD1DEFC-D080-4D67-B2C1-4498397E9721.jpeg

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 13, 2020

Magnifiers are a personal preference item. I am not aware of any Omega reference that specifically calls for a magnifier crystal, i.e. they are/were optional.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. lawler Jun 13, 2020

Are they not the norm then?

I like the fact that a signed crystal was included with the watch but not quite sure if it would enhance the look or not.

4. connieseamaster Jun 13, 2020

Screenshot_20200613-130911.png [​IMG]

Hopefully that works. My late 60s Connie with a magnifying crystal. I like that it makes the date pop just a bit, but not nearly as much as you'd see on a DJ. I also vastly prefer internal cyclopses to external ones