Forums Latest Members

Shopping Around & Dealership Etiquette

1. asrnj77 May 17, 2019

Food for thought but have you considered going a little older. Sure the new Speedmaster will have the fancy box and the warranty (which is great to have) but there is plenty to be said about a nice 3590.50 with cream patina. You can still go modern-vintage (is that a thing?) for $3500-4500 which is less than what you’d pay for a brand new one at the boutique

Eve likes this.
  2. C-Man May 17, 2019

Hey Folks! I appreciate the thoughtful suggestions! I went into my local Omega Boutique here in Orange County, CA, and I was absolutely floored with the watch and the service. I was initially intimidated walking in, but the people were very kind and let me try on the different all the different versions of the Speedmaster with no issues and pressure. I left with a few free Omega goods, and the card of a salesman I felt comfortable with.

The people were extremely kind and passionate. So much so, I felt compelled to buy the watch on the spot, but I knew passions were high so I walked out regretting not buying it. I am going to do my best to negotiate a price I feel comfortable with, but I am worried the Omega store wouldn’t be willing to negotiate something better. I am not interested in an older version because I want a new one to make my own mark on if that makes sense.

The feeling was truly surreal, I was surprised how well it fit my wrist. It felt perfect and was slim enough to fit under a dress shirt sleeve with no issues. I have wanted this watch for many years, and finally even being able to put it on made me tear a little. I wonder if you Speedmaster owners feel this sense of passion and history when you put it on. Being from Blue Collar roots, it made me realize how blessed I am to even hold one! The Hesalite crystal killed me dead especially over the Sapphire, the best part is is the wife loved it too!

I can’t wait to post this thing here once I get it!

3. sjg22 May 17, 2019

Go into an AD and try on a Speedmaster without any hesitation.

You may well meet a great (or attractive ;), both work) salesperson and end up walking out with the watch regardless of your initial intent, to buy online or otherwise.

Believe me, they will be happy to have you come in - you’re what they call in the sales industry a “warm lead”.

C-Man likes this.
  4. zwjk May 17, 2019

The Omega boutiques provide very good service, unfortunately they do not negotiate on prices (here in Australia anyway).

I agree with the above poster; go into a couple of ADs and play them against each other to get the best deal.

C-Man likes this.
  5. Snap Crackle May 17, 2019

You know what this actually means..........she now gets a reduced!! :D Good luck and congratulations on these steps to acquiring your grail. Speedy Pro Moon w/hesalite had been my grail of grails since high school. There is something about it that only owners of that watch can describe and whenever I look at it in my watch box, I feel like I have a piece of history in the house.

Enjoy the process of purchasing your grail. Just remember a couple things and your grail break-in period will be pain-free: You might wake up 3 times the first few nights just to make sure it is still there, trust me, it is and it doesn't have legs so it can't go anywhere. You may even stay up all night the first night with it and that is just fine. Also, don't worry, your wife is NOT(pray) going to drop it when she looks at it or holds your new trophy.:D This process is a satisfaction that only us watch nerds can understand and appreciate.

Pictures when you finally own it or we don't believe you and it didn't happen

DiiQue and C-Man like this.
  6. steelfish May 18, 2019

I'd say to just be open and honest. For me, if it's just a passing interest I'll say that. If it's a possible (and soon) planned purchase I'll again be honest and may well say:

'If you've time can I have a look at X please? I'm planning a purchase and need to know if I like it before I work out my plans. Couldn't afford to buy today at retail'. Often times its resulted in a discount offered so I could move it further up my list and afford to buy it there and then.

Everyone's a winner!

AveConscientia and C-Man like this.
  7. KAP May 18, 2019

My brother-in-law had a hardware store in a medium sized town (brink and mortar). Often "customers" would come in and ask advice, guidance and try things out then leave and purchase online at a cheaper price which he could not compete with due to fixed costs. People wanted to see and hold the item before purchasing which online can't offer, but these online businesses could certainly undercut since costs selling online were much less. Ultimately after a number of years, his business went into bankruptcy primarily since this customer practice escalated and he is still reaping the negative consequences. Consider the cumulative consequences and etiquette questions in these circumstances as you consider purchases. Oh by the way, online purchasing over the past 20 years has limited my ability to browse and shop locally because of businesses closing. What I read above is a short term versus long term issue in purchasing.

Edited May 18, 2019
    superfly and C-Man like this.
  8. chum_2000_uk May 18, 2019

Surely that's just business though isn't it. You're always going to have competition (unless your business is truly unique, in which case it probably won't be for long). If you can't manage to adapt to that competition then you're going to go bust.

Sorry, but that's just the harsh reality of it. I don't think it should mean we as consumers should be emotionally blackmailed into paying more for an already high priced luxury good, which is already lining the pockets of many people in the Swatch group. Sorry, but that's not our problem (I know you've argued that indirectly it is, but that's a very personal view based on circumstance imo).

Surely if it gets to the point where no AD's or OB's can stay open because it doesn't make financial sense and Omega become an online company, they'll lose a lot of sales because people need to try these watches on before purchase. They'll surely have to provide better incentives for AD's, or open more OB's.

Sorry if this all seems a bit insensitive, it sucks that your brother in law lost his business. But he's hardly alone is he. The majority of businesses fail unfortunately. Again, imo not a reason for the OP to pay more for a watch he's saved so hard for because he's getting emotionally blackmailed.

KingCrouchy, C-Man and Wryfox like this.
  9. Wryfox May 18, 2019

As much as we all like the corner store, this is the reality in a free market. Sears was once great, right? Everyone went there for tools, right? They couldn't adapt and the ship was too big and too slow. That's how it is in the real world for all business. If you want to win the customer, you have to offer more than anyone else does. It is literally that simple, and is as old as human history. Sure the guy at the corner is nice and friendly and you know his family, but your hard earned cash is paying for his inability to keep up with the times. Nostalgia is expensive.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 18, 2019

My view is browse all you want. Get your price points and (if overseas) exchange rates sorted. If you find a dealer you like, see if they will work with you. They are also more likely to stand behind the watch. If I’m put off by snooty behavior or absolute refusal to negotiate, which usually go together, I’m gone. I love the dealers who know this is a big ticket purchase and will do their best to see that you make the right decision on model and price. They are also the ones who will ensure that any issues are resolved at no cost. Such as strap changes, warranty issues and even recovery of VAT.

C-Man, LemansBoiler and Nathan1967 like this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 18, 2019

Exactly. There have been many a time that I have entered a retail shop intending to buy and staff has other priorities.

C-Man, michael22 and Larry S like this.
  12. FlyingSnoopy May 18, 2019

There is nothing wrong with going in a ad or OB and look around and test the watches.
    Besides they are not stupid, they know you can buy then cheaper in grey market dealers...
    So long you are polite go ahead.
    I have bought watches from boutiques, ads and grey dealers. Nothing beats the experience of a boutique and although you pay more you have other advantages
    But certainly go in and look and test..
    Part of the fun
    Cheers

C-Man likes this.
  13. boraxman May 18, 2019

C-Man go on and treat yourself. We are not promised tomorrow and you should have one on your wrist by now...Go get one and start enjoying it!

C-Man, michael22 and superfly like this.
  14. Furioso May 20, 2019

So interesting...more and more interested in looking into trusted sellers here for my AT...they was defective w/in 4 days from an AD....looked at a different AD over the weekend, just really strikes me as a fave, gotta figure out how to get one . A bittersweet experience for sure.

15. whyboddau Jun 1, 2019

Funny Sears is brought up because they were the Amazon of their day. 100 years ago you could order a prefab home from them via their catalogue and have it shipped. It shows that times change. What doesn’t change is price shopping and haggling. As long as there is competition, there will be haggling haha!