Forums Latest Members
  1. dcf977 Jul 22, 2017

I'm a new member and I'm looking for some input from the experts as I shop for my first real timepiece. I've always had a thing for Omegas, it probably started with the whole James Bond thing. Once I started doing some real research I learned about the Moonwatch and I guess I'm hooked. I see Omegas as stylish, high quality and not overly pretentious. The watch is a gift from my wife for our 10th anniversary.

I've been to a local AD to try on various models and sizes. I was convinced I was going to want an Aqua Terra 8500 but when I was there in person I knew that it the was the Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional for me. It's a classic, the perfect watch to start with.

I was leaning sapphire crystal due to scratch worries. After research here it sounds like those worries are overblown, I can buff most scratches from the Hesalite and why not save the $1k. Anyone disagree? I think the visable movement on the sandwich is cool but also appreciate the timelessness of the original solid caseback. I was also concerned about the manual wind, but it sounds like people kind of like it. Any thoughts on your experience with your first mechanical watch and manual vs. automatic winding would be appreciated.

I don't need the boutique experience and don't want to pay full retail if I don't have to. If I could get an AD down 20% I'd probably spend a little more for the factory warranty and local resource. If not I'm considering the grey market but I want authentic, new/unworn, in box, with serial number, etc.. I'd be fine with a model year older than 2017, but don't want used. I've already written off the likes of Jomashop.

In another post I saw mention of Chrono24. Is this a trusted marketplace? One particular listing with all the characteristics above says I can still get the two year factory warranty even though I'd be buying online at less than retail. Is this possible? Does anyone know the Chicago market well enough to recommend an AD that will negotiate? Should I just contact @Kringkily. I'm targeting the 311.30.42.30.01.005

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to offer their thoughts, experiences, advice or recommendations.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 22, 2017

3. Shailor Jul 22, 2017

That's a beautiful watch offered by Kringkily and at a great price!

4. dcf977 Jul 23, 2017

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 23, 2017

Only that I bought my 311.30.42.30.01.005 from Chitownwatch a year ago and was very pleased with the transaction. I see that the watch is now $3,600 (I paid $3,500), but still a very reasonable price imo. Based on my experience, I think you can buy from them with confidence.