Forums Latest Members

Shopping Around & Dealership Etiquette

1. C-Man May 16, 2019

Hello folks! I am new to these parts, and at the moment, I am shopping around for what is my holy grail watch, an Omega Speedmaster Professional. I am not wealthy by any means, and this purchase is the result of me saving my hard earned cash for a very long time to buy this watch. In doing research, I was curious if there is a certain etiquette one needs when walking into their local AD when shopping around for prices and such beyond the obvious when going into any place expensive?

WatchCor and superfly like this.
  2. Evitzee May 16, 2019

If you know you are not going to buy from an AD but only going in there to try the watch on before going online and ordering at a discount, ie showrooming, I think that is poor etiquette. If you are open to buying from the AD after some negotiation and getting a good feeling that they will be there for you when you have a problem, need an adjustment, or a new strap then go into the AD and see how it all works. A bricks and mortar store has costs that an online seller doesn't have, that's reality.

An AD can sweeten the pot with a leather strap and deployant buckle as a free add on, the Geneva boutique did that two years ago. And they can throw in an Omega pen and other freebies to close the sale, and a half-bottle of champagne. Every little bit helps.

Edited May 16, 2019
    Tet, KAP, WatchShopping and 5 others like this.
  3. lillatroll May 16, 2019

I think it is important to go to a shop and try the watch on. You can never really know if you like something before you try it on and a shop might have something you like more.
    I don t think there is anything wrong with going to a shop and telling them you are interested in buying a watch and trying a few on. You might decide you like the salesperson enough that you want to buy from them regardless of price.
    Find out what the best price you can get from the internet and see what they can counter offer. It might be a free extra strap or some kind of gift. Dealing with someone face to face is possibly a lot easier if there are problems with your watch further down the line.

shishy, Nathan1967, superfly and 2 others like this.
  4. C-Man May 16, 2019

Thank you guys, I am going to the local Omega Dealer this Friday, and I was initially curious about going in without the initial intent to buy and I feel bad about my initial plan to do this. I have only held this watch in person two times in my life which was years ago, and now that I have finally reached the funds to spare on a watch like this I have done diligent research in hopes of doing this the right way. Normally, I would think any purchase of this type would merit me trying it on first which I have only done once before. I am accustom to buying rather expensive guitars and that in itself I feel has a more relaxed etiquette.

superfly likes this.
  5. boraxman May 16, 2019

I would try an Omega Boutique if you have one close....Im sure they will let you try them all on without any kind of pressure.

superfly, Taddyangle and C-Man like this.
  6. Uniqez May 16, 2019

Saving money is a poor etiquette you think?

Nathan1967 and Wryfox like this.
  7. Evitzee May 16, 2019

Why twist my words? Let me repeat what I said: If you know you aren't going to buy from an AD because you can get a better price online and are only using his store to see if the watch fits your wrist and looks appropriate that is bad etiquette.

Tet, WatchCor, NGO1 and 2 others like this.
  8. michael22 May 16, 2019

Shops exist for people to look & inspect & try on.

9. Evitzee May 16, 2019

And to buy. If the shops don't SELL they go out of business. Econ 101.

Tet, kkt, akshayluc420 and 10 others like this.
  10. michael22 May 16, 2019

Sometimes, not every time.
    It is acceptable to change one's mind, to want to think about it for a while after the first look.
    The OP wants to try on a watch before paying for it. Presumably there will be some decision making between those two steps.
    I don't think one must have already decided before walking into the store.

11. Uniqez May 16, 2019

100% agreed! This is how people actually shop in 21 century. You go to AD and try, if everything fits your bill (price, warranty, availability, freebies etc. ) - you buy from them. If you have tight budget and you know you can buy the same watch X% cheaper from online retailer, grey dealer, OF private sale section - you buy from them. This is reality. As OP said that he was saving up for the watch for some time, he should be able to go to any dealer and try, then decide where he is going to buy it, without being obligated to buy from an AD.

C-Man, superfly and michael22 like this.
  12. michael22 May 16, 2019

It's up to the shop staff to convince the browser to buy.
    I'm sure most of us have walked out of a shop due to staff behaviour. And in other shops decided to buy because the staff were excellent.

The Father, Wryfox, C-Man and 2 others like this.
  13. MCC May 16, 2019

@C-Man , I think it is no different than buying a Gibson which you seem to like. If you are buying stock Les Paul then you can try one in a shop and buy the same model on line because either way you know it will need to be set up to suit your tastes. Sometimes a shop will do this for you meaning that the $$ you save buying on line may not be such a great saving. If you are buying something really special like a custom shop then bricks and mortar is the only way to go. In my view buying watches works in a very similar way.

C-Man and superfly like this.
  14. C-Man May 16, 2019

I appreciate all the feedback, I have no qualms about buying from an AD, and I am definitely trying to avoid the gray market if I can for a first time purchase like this. However, if I could save potentially $1000.00 plus on this including a potential service cost I wouldn't mind that either, so I saved a long time and researched a long time for a reason so that all these options would be open. Luckily, this forum and various other watch forums have a plethora of information and reliable well loved AD's, but I am not going to contact any of the trusted forum guys until I have tried this watch on in person again. I told my wife I'd give it a couple weeks to look though so that I can do my best to avoid the rush to jump into something where my excitement gets the better of me. Based off the responses here it seems like a judgement call on my part that I have to live with.

All I have is Gibson Custom Shop guitars, and in fact, I was actually inspired by this watch because I saw one of my guitar heroes Mark Knopfler wearing one many years ago. My JB Champion mesh band, and Polywatch, has been waiting for this watch a long time, and I am just glad it will be soon!

hanky6, superfly and KingCrouchy like this.
  15. OceanPerpetual May 16, 2019

There is no reason to defend yourself at all, going into a store to try on a piece does not mean you are obligated to buy from there. Don't take forum people too seriously, you just do you.

shishy, Wryfox, C-Man and 3 others like this.
  16. ilayd May 16, 2019

I think going to an Omega Boutique without an intent to buy is a little less taboo than an Authorized Dealer. Here is my thinking on this.... An AD is a watch store or jewelry store that is often privately owned that has the authority to carry Omega watches, so in this case you are potentially wasting their time when they can be making another sale. When you go to an OB, they are existing for several reasons in addition to selling watches. An OB also functions as a showroom of the watches, and to provide great customer service, while keeping the Omega brand popular, and known for great customer service. Also, I've found that in most cases, the employees there are more than happy to show you some watches (as I've noticed they often have some downtime... people arent lining up in droves to spend thousands on watches). That being said, if I was chatting to the salesperson and saw potential customers walk in, I'd let them go there and see if they can make a sale.

But, you absolutely must go and try the watch on before you buy (regardless of where you ultimately buy from). In fact, I went to an OB twice until I settled on the Speedy. Both times I went, the salesperson was friendly but absolutely a bore and barely knew about the watches, from what it seemed to me. Each question he answered with a "Ummm, I think so?" He did not at all inspire me to buy a watch from anyone at that OB. Anyways, after settling on a watch, I ended up buying one here on the forums at a much lower price and with Omega warranty still.

After receiving my watch, I headed to a different OB to get the band sized, and the salesperson that helped me was a complete 180 from the first OB I visited. This guy was a watch fan too! While he was talking about all the watches, you can tell he was giddy just talking about them. He also knew a lot and was able to tell me quite a lot of info about small changes and differences between all sorts of models. Honestly, if I had gone to this OB first, I would have possibly been swayed to buy my Speedy from him. Regardless, I got great customer service, and as a result, I have purchased a good amount of extras through him (adjustable clasp and saddle links to convert the Speedy to an adjustable band), and a pricey Omega book. I even sent people from this forum who went to buy one of those books as well. I know because he called and thanked me for sending customers their way.

At the end of the day, buying here on OF meant I could get the watch sooner (probably by over a year) than if I had to collect enough money for it retail (even if slightly discounted). Even with the extra parts and the book, I am still below retail price on the watch. I say look at all your options, and once you know that the Speedy fits you well, see where you feel most comfortable doing your deal. Either way, you'll end up in the Speedy Owner's club.

C-Man, BenjaminT, KingCrouchy and 3 others like this.
  17. superfly May 16, 2019

Don't be shy about letting the AD know the online price he's competing with. Let's say the difference is $1,000. You could say,

"Look, I d really like to purchase from you because you've given me such great service. But $1,000 is a $1,000. I can't afford to waste money. [PAUSE. CONSIDER. PONDER.] Would you be willing to meet me halfway and come down $500. If so, I'll buy it right now."

And you would actually have to buy right then if the AD agrees, or you may lose credibility and you'll almost certainly agitate the AD.

Worst case scenario is the AD says no and sticks firm to his price. If that happens, you can leave to think it over, knowing you gave the AD a good opportunity to make a sale.

You can't lose.

Unless you pay for a watch and leave without a watch. Just avoid doing that.;)

18. Braindrain May 16, 2019

Yes, let them know their competition and allow them a chance to meet it. Some ADs will do a very good job at that.

19. chum_2000_uk May 17, 2019

I agree with the sentiments of a few people here; the ones that are basically saying don't over think it, just go in, have a chat with the sales people, tell them you'd like to try on one or two of the Speedmasters, maybe even tell them you've been looking at them for ages etc.

If they don't make every effort to be nice to you and give you that warm feeling about them as a potential vendor and the watch then I'd suggest they probably aren't very good at their jobs. At which point you should say thanks, but no thanks and find somewhere else that does want your business.

The last 2 times I've been into an AD looking to buy a PO and an SMPc before it, I found it a very pleasant experience. Obviously the sales people were looking to close a deal if possible, but they weren't overly pushy. I didn't end up buying either watch from them. With the latest PO acquisition I had already done my homework and knew I could get the watch for £1k under list price unworn from an online seller with local office (had it in writing via email correspondence), so after trying the watch on and knowing I wanted one I proceeded to try and get them down as near to that price. In the end though, they were only prepared to knock about 10% off MSRP so I walked. I told them if they could do it for £4k or under I'd buy it today... They said no. I'm not sorry I went the route I did, I got a brand new watch for about £500 less than the AD were prepared to do it for. Fully stamped from a UK sourced AD, full warranty etc etc. on the watch I bought. Imo the very little, if anything extra the AD was offering was certainly not worth £500 or even the £350 extra I was trying to bargain them down to.

whyboddau, C-Man and superfly like this.
  20. LemansBoiler May 17, 2019

I fully agree with this and have done it several times on watches and cars. Be open and honest with them, explain that you know what you want and are ready to buy at another price you have in hand. Explain you’d prefer to buy and form a relationship locally, that’s why you’re there. I also don’t commit to buy right then, treat it as a fact finding trip. If they make an offer, say you’re going to grab lunch and consider it before coming back, gives both of you an opportunity to consider options.

These people are in sales, it’s their job to sell you and I feel you’re giving them a leg up being transparent about what it’ll take to close the deal.

C-Man and superfly like this.