Shady Ebay seller

Posts
4,344
Likes
12,770
With all recent scam posts, I thought I'd share a recent experience I had on Ebay. I purchased a Seiko 6139 from a seller in Argentina, wattches.ar. He describes himself as a watchmaker and collector, and had 98% positive feedback. I felt that I was likely safe in buying from him. The watch was described as fully functional and original, but in need of a cleaning.

When the watch arrived I found that the inner bezel did not rotate, the chrono would not reset properly, and that it would sometimes stop. I posted it here and several members pointed out that it had an incorrect crown.

Thinking that a service would sort it, I sent it to my regular watch maker who said that it was cobbled together, that the stem and crown were both incorrect for the watch, and that the movement was damaged.

I contacted the seller, and he agreed to take it back. He has had the watch now for quite some time and has not issued a refund. Enough time has elapsed that there is no recourse through ebay or paypal. I do not have the watch nor the money I spent on it. Caveat emptor.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
I do not purchase anything from Argentina or Peru for this reason. Both countries seem to have a disproportionate number of untrustworthy sellers and scams. Thanks for sharing your experience for the benefit of other members. Very unfortunate that this happened to you.
 
Posts
13,489
Likes
31,802
If you funded your PayPal payment with a credit card you may still have recourse.
 
Posts
4,344
Likes
12,770
I do not purchase anything from Argentina or Peru for this reason. Both countries seem to have a disproportionate number of untrustworthy sellers and scams. Thanks for sharing your experience for the benefit of other members. Very unfortunate that this happened to you.
For twenty years I avoided S. America, India, and the Philippines. I allowed myself to ignore my own advice, and had to relearn why I don't buy from S. America and Asia the hard way.
Edited:
 
Posts
4,344
Likes
12,770
If you funded your PayPal payment with a credit card you may still have recourse.
Nope, I had a little money in my PayPal account and used it. I was too trusting for too long to open a dispute by the time I knew I had been taken.
 
Posts
1,504
Likes
2,434
Nope, I had a little money in my PayPal account and used it. I was too trusting for too long to open a dispute by the time I knew I had been taken.

You should at least ding his 98% approval rating a notch.
 
Posts
94
Likes
220
Hi,I just had a similar experience. I bought a watch off Ebay which came from Serbia.
I found it was worth the chance and I'd had a few good experiences come from that area before. The seller also had 100% feedback in last year so I felt confident.
The watch arrived in due time. As I unpacked the watch and inspected it, I found that the crown was glued to the stem and that the bezel was also glued to the middle case.
I made this know to the seller and told him I wanted a refund. He said he was sorry about the situation and that he would refund me as soon as I had returned the watch.
I confirmed with Ebay, that since the item was not as described that the seller was responsible for the shipping cost to return the watch and that he had to send me a shipping label. The seller insisted that I shouldn’t involve Ebay in the process and that I should just send the watch back and he would refund the watch and shipping cost once he received it.Suspicious…I told him that the procedure was that he should send a shipping label or send me the money so I could buy one locally.
He tried to send me a partial refund so I could use that amount to buy a shipping label.
I made it known to him that if I accepted his partial refund that afterwards I could never get my total refund…Second suspension.
Finally I had my case escalate to a dispute with Ebay.
Ebay gave the seller time to sort things out , which he never did, and I finally got my total refund.

My conclusion , follow the rules even if the person sounds honest.
Be extra careful and consult with Ebay agents (chat). They were very helpful in my case.

PS. Ebay insisted that all communication be done through their site so to follow our exchanges.
They consult these exchanges to reach a decision.
 
Posts
9,243
Likes
76,981
Just for balance, a couple of years back I bought an Eterna 1000 from a Buenos Aires based eBay seller/dealer called Estelau.

The transaction was smooth. The watch arrived in the UK quickly and was as good or better than advertised.
 
Posts
16,305
Likes
45,025
Just for balance, a couple of years back I bought an Eterna 1000 from a Buenos Aires based eBay seller/dealer called Estelau.

The transaction was smooth. The watch arrived in the UK quickly and was as good or better than advertised.
This is true. I bought a nice watch from Columbia and a couple from Mexico without problems.
 
Posts
2,994
Likes
4,749
I have accidently impulsed parts (and perhaps a watch or two) from S America, only noticing when the tracking updated. No problems yet , but I would never do 50 bucks shipping. So if the shipping is reasonable ...

The only out and out subterfuge was a Florida pawnshop. Had to involve eBay. Curiously some wrong and rusty parts were shipped after I got the refund and left negative feedback.
 
Posts
1
Likes
2
With all recent scam posts, I thought I'd share a recent experience I had on Ebay. I purchased a Seiko 6139 from a seller in Argentina, wattches.ar. He describes himself as a watchmaker and collector, and had 98% positive feedback. I felt that I was likely safe in buying from him. The watch was described as fully functional and original, but in need of a cleaning.

When the watch arrived I found that the inner bezel did not rotate, the chrono would not reset properly, and that it would sometimes stop. I posted it here and several members pointed out that it had an incorrect crown.

Thinking that a service would sort it, I sent it to my regular watch maker who said that it was cobbled together, that the stem and crown were both incorrect for the watch, and that the movement was damaged.

I contacted the seller, and he agreed to take it back. He has had the watch now for quite some time and has not issued a refund. Enough time has elapsed that there is no recourse through ebay or paypal. I do not have the watch nor the money I spent on it. Caveat emptor.
Sadly, 2 years on, I have a similar issue with the same seller as you Waltesfalcon. I purchased a Tissot PR516 described in excellent condition, and serviced 1 year ago. Paid AU$527 through PayPal.

After a 4 week shipment period from Argentina, the watch arrived. The internal movement was loose inside the case, and the hour hand was totally misaligned with the minute hand (on the hour). Immediately I contacted the seller and he asked if I could get a quote to repair it locally. The cost locally was too high and he offered $100 compensation or full refund. I opted for a full refund. All this communication was made through Ebay (Money Back Guarantee). This is an important part of the process that all buyers should follow. He sent me a return UPS label which did not work and consequently sent me another label.

This part of the process took longer than it needed to be because of weekends involved and public holidays in Argentina. Four days after the parcel was picked up from my home, I received a call from a UPS co-ordinator from Tullamarine airport asking for a commercial invoice. Therefore, I know for a fact that it was in the UPS system.

I allowed another 4 weeks for transit to Argentina. After this time elapsed, I contacted the seller. He had not yet received the shipment. I immediately contacted UPS. They could not find the shipment and the tracking number showed up nothing. I then made a claim for the lost parcel. UPS said they would get back to me in 5 to 10 business days. I heard nothing from them. I contacted UPS and was told that the case was rectified several days ago. However, I was never told this. Adding insult to injury, they said that the claim could only be made by the seller, as he had organised the return label. I gave the relevant information back to the seller. I allowed a few days to pass before contacting the seller. I had contacted him 3 times over 3 days with no response.

Time to contact Ebay. Stupidly, I let this go too long before escalation. They have a “Platform of Time” in which to escalate. There was no way they were going to change their mind. I messaged them, contacted them by phone, they didn’t budge. I then tried with PayPal via an email address I found. I gave a detailed account of the situation. They refused to budge on a refund. So far I had tried UPS, Ebay, Paypal, all no resolution. In desperation I put the details into a note, dare I say, to ChatGP. The result was an exceptional upgrade to my notes. Amazing. I then sent this to an online agent on Ebay. Within 15minutes the situation changed. The case was opened and closed in my favour. I was refunded the full amount.

The reason for this long winded description is based upon my personal experience over 3 months from start to finish, for any future purchases you should closely follow the “Platform” rules of Ebay and PayPal. If done in time, the results are quicker, and usually in your favour. As for couriers, it is most important that you have copies of all documents and proof of pick up. Also check the tracking numbers a few days after pickup to ensure it is working. If not working contact the courier and send the same information to Ebay. Always keep your emails and proof of any communication between the seller and yourself.



The critical wording in my case was as follows….

We have reviewed the transaction details for you and can see that you've done your part in the return process by shipping back the item, since it was a faulty item the return label is the seller's responsibility and here the seller has to resolve this issue with their shipping company.



I hope that this information may be useful for anyone caught up with a similar situation.
 
Posts
201
Likes
242
Sadly, 2 years on, I have a similar issue with the same seller as you Waltesfalcon. I purchased a Tissot PR516 described in excellent condition, and serviced 1 year ago. Paid AU$527 through PayPal.

After a 4 week shipment period from Argentina, the watch arrived. The internal movement was loose inside the case, and the hour hand was totally misaligned with the minute hand (on the hour). Immediately I contacted the seller and he asked if I could get a quote to repair it locally. The cost locally was too high and he offered $100 compensation or full refund. I opted for a full refund. All this communication was made through Ebay (Money Back Guarantee). This is an important part of the process that all buyers should follow. He sent me a return UPS label which did not work and consequently sent me another label.

This part of the process took longer than it needed to be because of weekends involved and public holidays in Argentina. Four days after the parcel was picked up from my home, I received a call from a UPS co-ordinator from Tullamarine airport asking for a commercial invoice. Therefore, I know for a fact that it was in the UPS system.

I allowed another 4 weeks for transit to Argentina. After this time elapsed, I contacted the seller. He had not yet received the shipment. I immediately contacted UPS. They could not find the shipment and the tracking number showed up nothing. I then made a claim for the lost parcel. UPS said they would get back to me in 5 to 10 business days. I heard nothing from them. I contacted UPS and was told that the case was rectified several days ago. However, I was never told this. Adding insult to injury, they said that the claim could only be made by the seller, as he had organised the return label. I gave the relevant information back to the seller. I allowed a few days to pass before contacting the seller. I had contacted him 3 times over 3 days with no response.

Time to contact Ebay. Stupidly, I let this go too long before escalation. They have a “Platform of Time” in which to escalate. There was no way they were going to change their mind. I messaged them, contacted them by phone, they didn’t budge. I then tried with PayPal via an email address I found. I gave a detailed account of the situation. They refused to budge on a refund. So far I had tried UPS, Ebay, Paypal, all no resolution. In desperation I put the details into a note, dare I say, to ChatGP. The result was an exceptional upgrade to my notes. Amazing. I then sent this to an online agent on Ebay. Within 15minutes the situation changed. The case was opened and closed in my favour. I was refunded the full amount.

The reason for this long winded description is based upon my personal experience over 3 months from start to finish, for any future purchases you should closely follow the “Platform” rules of Ebay and PayPal. If done in time, the results are quicker, and usually in your favour. As for couriers, it is most important that you have copies of all documents and proof of pick up. Also check the tracking numbers a few days after pickup to ensure it is working. If not working contact the courier and send the same information to Ebay. Always keep your emails and proof of any communication between the seller and yourself.



The critical wording in my case was as follows….

We have reviewed the transaction details for you and can see that you've done your part in the return process by shipping back the item, since it was a faulty item the return label is the seller's responsibility and here the seller has to resolve this issue with their shipping company.



I hope that this information may be useful for anyone caught up with a similar situation.
I’m sorry you went through so much trouble. Sounds like a true nightmare situation and a very good reminder of the risks involved all around
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,108
Nope, I had a little money in my PayPal account and used it. I was too trusting for too long to open a dispute by the time I knew I had been taken.
I’m assuming you are escalating with EBay.