Forums Latest Members

Servicing ...how necessary?

1. Madjam1966 Jul 15, 2017

I've taken an interest in mechanical watches now for a good couple of decades and until last week I've yet to own anything too 'special'/expensive (albeit a subjective term of course).

A colleague informed me has was gifted a Rolex Sub for his 21st. ..he is now about 45 and to date he's never had the back off it. It keeps great time and in his words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (despite of course servicing being a preventative measure, not a reactive one, a la large cars, etc). Needless to say he's saved himself a fortune in not having it serviced. Another colleague, conversely, has an Explorer II and meticulously has it serviced bang on recommended times, and has therefore paid a small fortune in maintaining his watch. Both are happy. ..one is now more well off (and smug) than the other, or will that one day backfire on the Sub owner?

No doubt this has been covered before and no doubt my questioning it at all will no doubt have many thinking I am being horologically blasphemous, but are we all over doing it with our regular service schedules and paying lots of money unnecessarily? If a movement component packs up, is it likely to cost more to have that changed once than paying preventative servicing costs for many years? Someone likened that to car servicing (ie. you'd not risk a breakdown and engine failure by skipping services) which I can understand the comparison ...the difference being I can usually live without a watch for a while yet with a car I can't (and the latter will almost always cost alot more to repair anyhow and that preventative care, let alone safety aspects, would be foolish to ignore. .).

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 15, 2017

There are a lot of older threads about this if you search but generally the "I wore my Rolex for 20 years no worries" lot get quite the sticker shock when they find out how many parts need replacing when it does stop. Just have it serviced on the normal schedule and have the seals changed at the regular interval if its going to be wet and you'll be fine. Your mate won't be though, his auto winding system and probably a lot more will be flogged out by now.

Larry S and Foo2rama like this.
  3. ChrisN Jul 15, 2017

NT931, tyrantlizardrex and dsio like this.
  4. Madjam1966 Jul 15, 2017

5. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Jul 15, 2017

It's necessary. So do it. If you can't afford it don't buy watches.

Larry S likes this.
  6. Madjam1966 Jul 16, 2017

I don't think that's in any doubt. It's more the frequency etc.

7. NT931 Jul 16, 2017

Yup, and that's been covered a fair bit in the earlier threads.

8. M'Bob Jul 16, 2017

bovecHD and Euxinus like this.
  9. KJH666 Jul 18, 2017

Would you not bother servicing your car and keep driving it until the day it stopped...

10. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 18, 2017

If I could get it fixed for the same price that I would have been paying every year , yes I would.
    Omega fixed price maintenance will repair your watch if it's 20 years old and broken for the same price as a routine service once it's out of warranty.

11. Madjam1966 Jul 18, 2017

I don't think you can compare a car with a watch (let alone the priority needs and reasons for the latter). But in answer to your question, I'd always have a car serviced regularly to help pre-empt and miniiice the risk of a breakdown, help prolong its life and performance and especially to ensure it's safe and roadworthy etc. Not quite the same for a watch that isn't going to be a safety risk to anyone whether it's serviced or not.

12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 18, 2017

I have no issue taking my modern Omega watches in for service. They have recently increased service prices.

My modern ploprof was serviced there about a year ago. I think it was $500. New hands were installed, at least hour and minutes hands were.
    Watch was 6 or so years when I brought in for service. Was running fine. Seems to me I could have waited another 6 years and then had it serviced.

I would never consider this approach with a vintage speedmaster.

Not sure I can get there on doing this with my modern Omega watches.

But I understand the logic.

Archer likes this.
  13. KJH666 Jul 18, 2017

Quite, I was just illustrating the principal of if it ain't broke don't fix it. I prefer to be cautious on these things, especially if a watch has some desirability or value. When I bought my 105.003 from a respected dealer there was no recent service history even though the watch was running fine. Within about 5 days the watch was with Simon Freese for a full movement service and will come back with an 18 month warranty and all for less than £400.00 - money well spent I say.

Madjam1966 likes this.
  14. Madjam1966 Jul 18, 2017

That's a perfect example of servicing need. Hope it's returned welland shiny

15. KJH666 Jul 18, 2017

Thank you. Will post some images as he is also working on the hands for me. Unfortunately he has just announced delays on his website due to volume of work - can you guys stop recommending him until he has finished work on my watch please.

16. kippyk Jul 18, 2017

I am an Engineer and encounter similar questions in a professional capacity. The question is not black and white but very gray. Let's say the recommended maintenance is every 5 years. If you wear the watch every day, use it when biking, etc then you want to have it serviced every 5 years. If you wear it once a week, then you could probably bring it in less.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2017

As I've said countless times before, there is no one answer for every situation.

Taddyangle likes this.
  18. river rat Jul 18, 2017

What I do when I buy a vintage mechanical watch it's got to be worth more than a service. Why buy a 150 dollar vintage watch and it cost 200-350 to service it don't make since. I remember when I first got into this hobby I started with pocket watches. I got a Hamilton 940 pocket watch off Ebay with out having a watchmaker look at it I winded it the green tarnish around the stem should of told me some thing pop went the mainspring. Ever since then most vintage watches new to the collection get checked out and service if necessary. I remember getting a vintage Cir. 1972 Omega Speedy at the Pasadena NAWCC Regional about 7 years ago it ran but did not know the service history the bracelet was stretched it showed it's age. So had it service guess what the mainspring broke as the watchmaker was removing it you just can't tell what's wrong with in the watch.

Edited Jul 18, 2017
  19. No.15 Jul 18, 2017

I am new to the passion and on shaky grounds when it comes to watch values. So the method I am currently employing is this --
    1. I see a watch I like and I think I will wear (no safe queens with any of my stuff)
    2. I add $350 to the asking price in my head. (estimate for basic service)
    a. If the price is acceptable I purchase
    b. if price is unacceptable I try and negotiate the cost down.
    c. if neither a or b are true I walk away from the deal. Unless of course emotions or stupidity rears its head as they sometimes do, then I buy and make excuses.