Forums Latest Members
  1. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

Hello! Been a looooooong time and with this post, at risk of getting burned on my return....

I’ve been a very bad watch owner and have never serviced my watches (my first “significant” purchase was an engagement present 12 years ago).

I have looked to find a thread on this but without success: if I’ve looked in the wrong place or missed it, please do let me know.

I live in the uk and I’m looking for recommendations of where or who you might use?

Any suggestions??

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 10, 2021

The answers will depend a great deal on what the watch is. Is it modern, vintage?

hamster likes this.
  3. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

Good point. I have three that I’d like to get serviced, 2 x modern (the oldest is 12 years) and 1 x vintage (a chronostop).

cheers for the speedy response - and the clarification question.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 10, 2021

Should we assume they are all Omegas then? Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

For example - if the 2 modern are Omega and co-axial, you either need to find an independent watchmaker who has an Omega parts account, and has been trained on co-axial, or you need to send them to Omega.

For the vintage Chronostop, Omega would be the last place most here would want to send it.

5. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

Thank you for persevering @Archer and sorry for the poor response.

1 x omega chronostop
    1 x Maurice lacroix chrono (12 years)
    1 x ball moon phase (8 years)

I was looking at STS (for all three) and I was sure I’d read good things on here before but I couldn’t find those threads again.

6. KstateSkier Mar 10, 2021

Do your watch a favor and send it to Archer for service. You won't be disappointed.

hamster likes this.
  7. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

@Archer - do you service watches?

Observer likes this.
  8. Braindrain Mar 10, 2021

@hamster is in the UK. Probably easier to find someone there as there will be zero worries about VAT added on, post service.

But, it seems the UK watch makers that I know of aren't taking any new business at the moment...

hamster likes this.
  9. Dan S Mar 10, 2021

The modern watches presumably have factory authorized service centers.

10. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

I am indeed in the UK....

11. hamster Kung Fu Hamster rules! Mar 10, 2021

Yeah, STS for the modern ones. But wasn’t sure if there’s be a view that an alternative would be preferable.

12. Dan S Mar 10, 2021

Honestly, I don't think there's any reason not to use the authorized service center for most modern watches. Sometimes they are the only ones that have access to parts. And they often have a fixed price, which could be beneficial for you if your watches end up needing a lot of parts replaced.

SpikiSpikester and hamster like this.
  13. melanieux Mar 10, 2021

I can second that. He did a beautiful job with mine!

I was just looking at the service DVD yesterday, actually :) watch is still going strong.

hamster likes this.
  14. ExpiredWatchdog Mar 11, 2021

Pray tell, what's a "service DVD"?

melanieux likes this.
  15. Croc Mar 11, 2021

I had a watch serviced by Russel Talerman in London a couple of years ago. They were recommended by the makers, an independent, and are also Omega authorised. Was happy with the service and the price and turnaround was fast too.

hamster likes this.
  16. melanieux Mar 11, 2021

Haha..

When I sent my watch to @Archer for service, he returned it with a DVD filled with pictures he took of the watch on arrival - the outside, the inside/movement, pushers, etc. With the pics, I could see the work that he was recommending, which was a neat way to keep me involved in what he was doing.

It's also a nice, thorough record of the work that was performed and when.

I thought it was pretty cool.. but what really got me emotional was that he managed to return my fathers watch to me just a few days before fathers day. That brought tears to my eyes - and it is again now just thinking about it (I didn't expect that).

So, maybe there's another name for it..? I just figured it was a service DVD :)

Archer likes this.
  17. Braindrain Mar 11, 2021

Yes, that level of detail (ie. the DVD) is something pretty much only @Archer does. I don't know of any other watchmaker who does that.

melanieux likes this.
  18. amcclell Mar 11, 2021

Ashton Tracy in Canada prepares a photo-rich report for every watch that he services.

melanieux likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2021

There are others who do it to a lesser degree certainly, often through the use of web pages like watchguy in the UK. Pretty sure @ChrisN here does this as well, and yes Ashton does something similar, but with less detail (he recently described my documentation as "crazy" on another forum).

How long the document is depends on what is wrong with the watch, and what I have to do to fix it. I think the record for a 3 hand watch is 120 pages (2 photos per page), but more complicated watches can be longer.

Many customers appreciate it, and for me it is borne of my own disappointment in getting exactly "zero" details the first time I had a high end watch (Rolex) serviced. Being an engineer, I wanted to see details, and when I asked I received a blank stare. So when I became a watchmaker I did for my customers what I would have wanted to see, and it's generally well received.

Cheers, Al

Oh, and because many no longer have disk drives, I've moved on to using USB's recently...;)

apsm100, Molko, Larry S and 8 others like this.
  20. Mr Blond Mar 11, 2021

+1 for chrisn https://cjnwatch.co.uk

Excellent attention to detail, great communication and service, can’t recommend him high enough

Private_Doberman likes this.