Forums Latest Members

SERVICE/REPAIR 17 YEAR OLD SPEEDMASTER AUTO CHRONO

1. USMCJS Jun 16, 2020

In 2004, I and my Omega Speedmaster had a close encounter with a rocket in Iraq. I was OK, and as best I can recall, my Omega never left my wrist, and was not banged into anything. But, it has never worked right since. The sweep second hand won't return to 12. The watch will not run for long periods. I have had it in a box since and now would like to repair it, maybe restore it to like new and pass it along to a nephew. I would appreciate any suggestions for the best place to have it repaired and made to look nice again. I have it on now and it's working but it will not work for long. Thanks for any recommendations.

20200616_203434.jpg
    timecube likes this.
  2. Canuck Jun 16, 2020

It might help if you gave us a general idea of where you live.

3. USMCJS Jun 16, 2020

Near Missoula, but I will ship to the best place.

4. Canuck Jun 16, 2020

Not finding much choice in Missoula. You might try The Last Wind Up in Bozeman. Talk to Dave. They have a website.

Edited Jun 16, 2020
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 16, 2020

It's an eta 7750 based movement, if not actually a 7750. Almost anyone can work on it. I'd look for someone with an Omega parts account preferably.

Omega and ETA are owned by the same company, and many Omega's from that period are based on ETA movements.

Since 1973, the 7750 and its variants have found homes in IWCs, Montblancs, Panari, Omegas, Breitling, Sinns, Fortis, Tudors and under dials bearing just about every other name you can think of.

6. timecube Jun 16, 2020

Re:
    You'll find some differences of opinion on that, here.
    If by "looking nice" you mean cleaning up/replacing the crystal, cleaning the watch itself and its band, virtually any watch-maker can do this quite inexpensively. If you mean polishing and removing scratches from the case to make it look shiny and new- almost any watch-maker can do this as well but the near consensus from the community of collectors would be NOT to do that.

Polishing removes metal and it rounds the distinctive and unique sharp edges of the case design. It can make logos look muddy. It can dramatically decrease the resell value of the watch. It can also make the watch look prettier. Only you can decide what the fair balance is between the two. If you think your nephew might someday come to be a watch collector, I suspect he will someday appreciate if you didn't have it polished or refinished. The scratches and dents and bruises it obtained while fighting a war add to its character.

If that's unlikely, (and you know your nephew far better than we do) and you think he'll be more impressed and grateful for a shiny, "new" looking watch- go for it. Any watch-maker can do it; its not rocket science, even if your watch has already endured the abuse of "rocket science" in the memorable past.

7. SkunkPrince Jun 16, 2020

You might tell the collectors to get bent on this one and send it to Omega. Your watch is by no means vintage. That would cost you $750. I have had Omega service before and my experience has been unusual for sure.

That said, I just sent my 2254.50.00 Seamaster Professional to Nesbit's in Seattle. They are factory authorized. They are also required to follow Omega's guidelines to retain their factory authorization.

As mentioned above, it is your watch and your money and your choice.

timecube likes this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 17, 2020

This is a relatively modern Omega with Superluminova lume material. It is not really old enough for collectors to cherish any patina it may have acquired, though the military backstory makes it much more worthy than most on that score. If you want it like new, then Omega is your best bet. If you want it serviced with a new crystal but still showing the patina, then use an independent. The latter course will be cheaper but the watch will still look lived in. Usually on a post ~1998 model I would say a full factory refinish is the best course, after all patina on a vintage piece is charming, on a modern piece it is just damage. Maybe not so here. Were I your nephew, I would want the battle scars, but that is me.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 17, 2020

This is a ref. 35135000, and it will have an Omega 1152 inside most likely. Certainly based on the ETA 7750, but with differences that mean that all regular 7750 parts are not necessarily compatible.

Foo2rama likes this.