Forums Latest Members

Service/Regulation advice for a newbie

1. AxeGekko Feb 8, 2020

My 2019 black wave Omega SMP 300m Diver is running roughly +6.9secs. When's it's 3 o'clock up it runs around 2. But much more worn or dial up. I don't know if I knocked it or what. But would love to have it checked out. What would be best route... Service Center, ad watch repairer, third party watch repairer?? Also what would be the rough cost?

InShot_20200208_230204743.jpg 20200208_225106.jpg
  2. gabs2012 Feb 9, 2020

Check if the Omega Service Center will take care of it for free under warranty. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it unless it gets much worse or it's time for servicing (that won't be for quite a while). Seems like as long as you wear it or keep it in the 3 up position, the timekeeping is within the acceptable range.

Edited Feb 9, 2020
    AxeGekko likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 9, 2020

Have you tried other positions overnight, like dial down?

AxeGekko likes this.
  4. mk2rick Feb 9, 2020

Yeah I’ve done that once for my ck2998 .. they gave me a full report

AxeGekko likes this.
  5. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

Have not, it's either in my watch box, on my desk at 3 o'clock up cuz my MacBook eats bracelets, or on my wrist. I'll try some other positions.

6. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

Did you email them to ask and send it in? I think saw a list of IL Service Centers pinned at top.

7. Donn Chambers Feb 9, 2020

You definitely don’t want to take it to an independent watchmaker who can’t perform Omega warranty service. If you ever need warranty service in the future and Omega can tell someone has opened the case that wasn’t an official service center, you have just voided the warranty.

Frankly, based on the numbers you posted, I wouldn’t worry. The average rate when you have worn the watch is pretty good, about +3 sec/day. I assume when you have stated “dial up” for several days in a row it is not worn. It might be that it doesn’t have a full power reserve when you stop wearing it for a few days — I.e, it wasn’t wound fully or you weren’t active enough for the auto winding mechanism to wind it fully. If it keeps good time when worn, it’s working fine.

AxeGekko likes this.
  8. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

I guess you're right. Prob just my OCD that would like it to be in 1s at most. Not gonnaie, if I can at least get a free report, maybe a free quick regulation I'll give it shot. But for a couple hundred bucks I'll deal.
    Thank your for your advice/thoughts.

Edited Feb 9, 2020
  9. Dan S Feb 9, 2020

I don't know what the specifications are for this watch, but I'm pretty sure it's not +/-1s per day. You can't expect a watch to perform substantially better than it's specified timing tolerances. That's the nature of the movement and there's no reason to think that further regulation will improve things significantly. If you require better timekeeping, a quartz watch would be a good choice for you.

AxeGekko likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2020

This watch has a Cal. 8800 inside, and the timing tolerances are as follows:

Average daily rate, measured over 6 positions: 0 to +6 seconds per day

Maximum variation in rate (Delta) over 6 positions at full wind = 14 seconds

Maximum variation in rate (Delta) over 6 positions at 24 hours after full wind = 16 seconds

Given these numbers, your expectations that the watch can run at a max. daily deviation of +1 seconds, is unrealistic.

I would suggest the first thing you do is experiment with various storage positions to find the one that slows the watch down the most overnight.

Cheers, Al

11. Cancun95rm Feb 9, 2020

My new 300M is 7.5 spd fast when face up (e.g. stored in display case). When stored 3 o'clock up, it loses about 1 spd.

AxeGekko likes this.
  12. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

Gotcha! Thanks! I believe for the new 8800 caliber in there, it's certified for 0 to +5 secs. And you can see thru Omega's website your specific watch's Master Chronometer tests and it was I believe +1.4secs.

(I also am in the market for a quartz to have one in the collection. The GS SBGN001 is top of the list so far)

13. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

Ahh OK... Guess that makes me feel better that it's not just mine with a big diff in face up and 3 up. Thanks

14. AxeGekko Feb 9, 2020

Fanatsic simple explanation. Until recently I never kept track or noticed the diff in wearing and storage in my watch box. Thank you.