Forums Latest Members
  1. McKinley Oct 23, 2017

Hello all. I am a fairly new member and still learning the ropes of watch collecting. Something is already telling me I am never going to stop learning. I have been trying to learn to fish on my own, but I would appreciate some feedback on this eBay listing if you would.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Om...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I would like to have a 50's or early 60's stainless Seamaster on a beads of rice bracelet. I was going to go without the date, but this date at 6 o'clock looks really good to me. It doesn't leave the dial off balance and as I get older, having the date in front of me, only a glance a way, would be a benefit. ;-) However, this particular watch looks off to me, but want to have more knowledgeable members confirm it for me. I am wondering if the dial is original, as I think from the one other thread I started, that the fish hook S should be present up to about 1962 and this watch is from nearly 10 years earlier. I am unsure if the crown is original. I thought that Seamasters from that time period, 1953 had the crowns with the 4 indents like on my Seamaster from '57. I am also thinking that this beads of rice bracelet is from later, even though it is listed as original. The seller does have a 100% rating, but I am still doubtful, but I am just learning. Then there is the matter of the what looks to me to be a very dirty movement. Should that be enough to make me run not walk away from this watch? I may go and see my lil old retired watchmaker today also and ask if he would tell me to leave it alone based on the movement condition or if he has regularly brought such dirty movements back to life, not that the watch isn't working, it is supposedly keeping good time. I know, an awful lot of questions and I have much more to learn, but I hope you folks don't mind me leaning on you for help. I wish I knew more and could be of help to someone myself. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

McK

2. DON Oct 23, 2017

Movement is toast. Done and over. Bracelet not a match to the case

Look for something better

DON

McKinley likes this.
  3. McKinley Oct 23, 2017

^
    Thank you, Sir.