Sending newish 1861 Speedy to warranty repair for a THIRD time :,,(

Hey all.

I just want to vent, and gather some advice on how to handle this.

I bought my watch in October of 2020, new from an AD

1. I had to send it back for warranty repair because it was gaining over a minute per day. Came back running good, but then the chrono seconds hand, slowly shifted to the right. It would not reset at 12 (or zero), it would reset about 1.5 seconds past the 12.

2. I sent the watch back, asking them to please reset the chrono seconds to 12 (or zero).

The watch came back a FEW DAYS AGO. Has been running good.

Yesterday, I used the chrono to time my parking. It took about 2.5 hours.

When I clicked "reset," everything reset back to zero, except the hour counter. That one got stuck at about 1.5 hours.

I started the chrono and reset it again, and it worked fine.

I started the chrono again, just to test it.

A few minutes in, the chrono function stopped all together, and so did the watch. The running seconds hand was "HACKED."

I clicked start and stop again (no reset) and got it back to normal.

I am now thinking of taking it back for warranty repair AGAIN.

I've owned the watch less than a year, and have already lost about 3 months of wear due to frequent repairs.

Any advice?

It's time to demand a new watch. That's ridiculous.
So I was thinking of that.

But one problem is that the watch is discontinued.

So maybe ask for a refund?

I also feel like they wouldn't budge. They might just tell me to do a warranty repair 10 times if I have to.

Part of what is interesting to me is that Omega is kind of a big deal. Omega is rumored to make better watches than some more expensive brands, like Rolex.

And I agree, to a certain extent.

I also respect the watch, the history, and iconic styling...

But gosh, 3 times in less than a year?!

I suspect a bit of bad luck. There may still be new watches around , it wasn’t discontinued that long ago, so I would see if the AD or Omega can source one for you. If not, I do think they will get it fixed.

I suspect a bit of bad luck. There may still be new watches around , it wasn’t discontinued that long ago, so I would see if the AD or Omega can source one for you. If not, I do think they will get it fixed.

Thank you for that. I will ask and see what happens, then report back.

I hope they get it right the third time.

I am sure that assuming they would isn't that far of a stretch.

Chronographs in general can be kind of glitchy from time to time, but for a new-ish watch what yours is doing is not normal or acceptable. It does seem like a replacement of the watch may be the best way forward for you, and I am quite certain there are still plenty of new 1861 Moonwatches floating around among all the Omega Botiques and ADs out there. Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

So I was thinking of that.

But one problem is that the watch is discontinued.

So maybe ask for a refund?

I also feel like they wouldn't budge. They might just tell me to do a warranty repair 10 times if I have to.

Or - credit towards a new 3861 Speedy.

I guess this may come down to the nature of your relationship with your AD.

I doubt the OP is going to get a refund or replacement on a watch that was sold 10 months ago. Depending on his relationship with the AD he MAY get a credit on a different watch. Plead your case to the AD and see where it goes. You may get a sympathetic ear, or not. As someone said, chronographs can be finicky sometimes. Sometimes one of the hands won't reset completely, usually because the pusher wasn't pushed all the way home. It happens.

Take a deep breath, wear the watch and play with the chrono and see if you have the issue repeat itself. And a simple question, is the watch fully wound when you experienced the issue? A watch low on power can act squirrelly.

Chronographs in general can be kind of glitchy from time to time, but for a new-ish watch what yours is doing is not normal or acceptable. It does seem like a replacement of the watch may be the best way forward for you, and I am quite certain there are still plenty of new 1861 Moonwatches floating around among all the Omega Botiques and ADs out there. Best wishes for a speedy resolution.

I'll try!

Thanks for the support

Get a new watch... Don't know where you are but 186X are still out there.

And if they don't try asking your credit card if there are any purchase protections for something like this.

Man, I'm glad you didn't get it from Jomashop. Imagine trying to get them to repair it again and again and again...

Man, I'm glad you didn't get it from Jomashop. Imagine trying to get them to repair it again and again and again...

Amen to that. Talk about a nightmare. I just shivered.

Those prices are so tempting! But then I read a story like this one and think, "Maybe not..."

I am now thinking of taking it back for warranty repair AGAIN.
Have you been sending it to SGUS in Secaucus, NJ?

Or - credit towards a new 3861 Speedy.

I guess this may come down to the nature of your relationship with your AD.
All I've ever bought there is that one watch. But both managers treat me very respectfully.

But I'll ask and see what happens.

I've never worked with Jomashop, but it is comforting that the AD told me that is what the warranty is for, the 2nd time I went in.

I just wasn't expecting to go back again.

Those prices are so tempting! But then I read a story like this one and think, "Maybe not..."
Well I'm sure people here would argue that it is a great watch.

It is very well known, and popular, and I hadn't read anything bad about it before buying it.

To me, mistakes happen, maybe it sat for too long in a case somewhere before I bought it.

What is bothersome, is the Omega service.

I would think they would've gotten it right the first time.

If not that, then maybe the second time.

But here we are again.

Have you been sending it to SGUS in Secaucus, NJ?
I bought it at Jared Jewelers.

I took it back to them, and they "send it to Omega."

Then it comes back with a red zipper pouch, and a card from Omega.

But I'm not exactly sure what service center they send it to, or what.

I would keep testing it for a few days and see what the failure rate is. Sometime glitches do happen. Make sure watch is fully wound. If you can repeat failure, then take it in. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect new 1861 or credit against a 3861, but it’s not really ADs fault so they should engage Omega on your behalf or you can contact Omega directly too.