Forums Latest Members

Selling of watches that are unserviced

1. ddurham Jul 24, 2018

If your conclusions are correct then I have to say that I'm happy to find myself in the minority, and will continue to be extremely cautious of the majority.

Deafboy likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 24, 2018

A fellow collector who I bought a beautiful watch with no known service history (thus not worn) said : you can wear it as is, it is correct at least twice a day ... I almost pissed my pants at the thought of walking around with a watch on my wrist, not ticking ... some kind of crazy joke ... but you say people actually do this ...::facepalm1::

Nathan1967 likes this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

Hey chief...how many watches have you owned and currently own?

Syrte likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2018

There is certainly a kernel of truth here, as I've bought watches that appear to have been bought new, ran until they stopped, and stuck in a drawer, and they were pristine after a good cleaning. But for every one of those, I can show you 10 or more that didn't stop, continued to be worn, and when they did stop they were a mess inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So again, I would caution taking to heart the idea that watches that don't get serviced are ones that don't get used, and that will be in better condition than those that are serviced. I would say those are the exception rather than the rule.

Cheers, Al

5. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 24, 2018

Haha I like the last one, with the oval hole in the jewel. It's metal pivot must had been pretty sweet too!

6. ddurham Jul 24, 2018

Right now I have 8 or 10 that are worth mention, have owned many more than I'd care to mention.

7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

I assume all 8-10 are serviced, correct? Did you service the “care not to mention”?

Syrte likes this.
  8. ddurham Jul 24, 2018

Either serviced or on the waiting list.
    Not myself but none have left my hands without a full service unless previous service history was documented.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

That is very impressive, and if you can do it, great.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time nor funds to afford to do so.

In a perfect world, I would love to have all my pieces serviced, but alas, I’ll live with most “as-is”. I mean Rolex movements are like Toyota anyway, you cannot kill them.

Uniqez likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 24, 2018

I love this thread ... ::love:: ...

Sorry Matt, as an avid follower of your IG feed, and with all due respect (thus no disrespect meant), I find it hard to believe you don't have the funds to service your 8 beauties ... time, sure, as quality watchmakers have a long turnaround ... but all that costs is patience...

Edited Jul 24, 2018
    watch3s and gostang9 like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2018

::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

kkt, Deafboy, shishy and 1 other person like this.
  12. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

It’s true...I am watch rich and cash poor. All of my watches are funded by soft dollars, and service is hard dollars, which are much harder to come by.

I could service all of my collection, but it would mean that I would have to sell something to fund it.

Right now, the only watch that I plan to service is my 5513.

gostang9 and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

I knew you would like comment!

watch3s likes this.
  14. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 24, 2018

Know the feeling :)

What I am doing a.t.m. is to send them in one at a time. Stagger the cash-drain over turnaround time per watch...less pain ... anyhoo ... as said, no disrespect / negative vibes meant :thumbsup:

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2018

Yes...because physics....

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2018

This is simply a choice you have made - others may make a different choice. I was always taught that if you could not afford to maintain an item you have purchased properly, then you can't really afford to own said item. But I understand not everyone has that attitude, and I see the results of it on my bench every day. BTW the first two photos I posted above are from a Rolex...

kkt, heavenscloud, airansun and 4 others like this.
  17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 24, 2018

Apologies as I said I was done with this thread but cannot resist approving— hence I suggest, since many people here live in the so-called Western world, we all ensure at the polls that our respective governments stop living above our means, and ensure that all of the following public property be all maintained properly or liquidated: hospitals, roads, classrooms, police stations, public train systems- public utilities from electricity grids to power plants, airports - have I forgotten something?
    (The Versailles Castle and the Eiffel Tower, on the other hand, are maintained very well).
    :D

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2018

You weren't fooling anyone - your likes gave you away long before you made this post...;)

And yes I agree completely. Unfortunately the vast majority of voters do not, so the various political parties tend to give voters what they want to get into power, which is clearly not what you are suggesting. If we can't expect people to take care of their own possessions, then what does that say about how the society in general is liable to vote? All symptoms of the same thing IMO, but before we get too political, I'll stop there...

To be clear, I don't care if people here service their watches, run them into the ground, or smash them with a hammer. But please don't let anyone suggest that not servicing them when you wear them regularly is not doing damage, because it is. That's just a fact...and not an alternative fact...

Cheers, Al

19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

I should do better, and every year I say that this is the year I’ll get my watches serviced and I never do.

The funny thing is that I cannot afford any of the watches I own...I’ve just been lucky and hustled so that I can own them.

20. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 24, 2018

My collection does beg the question, so thanks for asking.

Thank goodness the DRSD is fully serviced!