Forums Latest Members
  1. semroc Apr 13, 2020

Hello all. I'm new to selling on eBay. Just starting to sell my collection. Looking for advice on the best way to sell my Omega. Serviced last year, loses about a minute per day. What's a fair buy it now price? Or should I not have a buy it now, or make offer? Starting price suggestions? Thank you, much appreciated. I don't have a tool to open the back. 20200325_161553.jpg 20200325_161527.jpg 20200325_161500.jpg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 13, 2020

Check the sold listings on eBay for that reference.

3. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

Unusual case-back.

The best thing you can do to have a successful sale is to have good images and a clear and accurate description. Including photos of the inside is important, so you might want to hold off on listing it until you can get those photos. BIN or auction is a matter of personal preference, but if you do an auction, I suggest doing it with no reserve and a low starting price, so that you can get some bidders engaged and develop momentum. A high starting price for an auction can lead to problems.

wagudc likes this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 13, 2020

Adds or detracts from value, in your estimation?

Dan S likes this.
  5. cristos71 Apr 13, 2020

Hmm, an unserviced watch with damaged dial, wrong crown, missing hand lume, case back engraving and unknown movement type/condition. I'd say it has some value but how much is anybody's guess...

I think your best bet is a no reserve auction starting at €0,01.... let the market decide

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  6. ZIELSZIEK Apr 13, 2020

Ummm... Make sure to mention that. Having "serviced" in a watch's description only to have it lose one minute per day will lead to an instant negative feedback from whoever will buy this
    Edit: I doubt it was a proper service anyway.

KingCrouchy, Archer and Dan S like this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 13, 2020

In my opinion unless the buyer is someone from that Lodge, or a relative of the person the watch was presented to, the caseback will detract.

Dan S likes this.
  8. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

I would guess minor detraction, just my own feeling. It's nice to have the year, but the engraving itself doesn't have a lot of charm IMO. Aside from the engraving, I also don't see these polygonal casebacks so often on Omegas, which is interesting, but makes it hard for some people to open.

Yes, the OP should know that one minute per day error is not considered acceptable.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 13, 2020

Ignoring the inscription for a minute (and I agree it detracts from the value) the caseback is unusual. I have never seen a Swiss Omega case with that shape, at least I can't remember one. That along with the lug shape suggests to me it is a local production case. If it is local, It may be hard to identify which model it actually is.

Dan S likes this.
  10. semroc Apr 13, 2020

Thank you all for the suggestions. Just what I was hoping for. I'm not trying to falsely advertise, or screw anybody over. I just don't collect omegas. The watchmaker has serviced over 30 watches for me in his 10 years of business. I should have had him take pics of the movement, but I actually traded it to him for a gruen. He felt guilty and just sent the omega back. Ill try to get movement pics. Now where's my old rusty adjustable wrench? Thanks again everyone.

11. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

When he services watches for you, do they generally have timekeeping error of one minute per day? That seems very unusual to me, and totally unacceptable.

KingCrouchy, ZIELSZIEK and BlackTalon like this.
  12. semroc Apr 13, 2020

No they don't. They are usually right on. Unless they are an Illinois that isn't a 307 movement. Then they're all over the place. Dang Illinois watches. I have a bunch of watches serviced by him that are right on after five plus years.

Dan S likes this.
  13. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

If it were running a minute fast, it would be easier to explain by magnetization or something like that. But a minute slow is unfortunate.

14. wagudc Apr 13, 2020

If the watchmaker serviced it last year, and it is now losing a minute per day, I would take it back. It sounds like you are a regular customer, he/she would likely help you out. Plus you can get some movement shots.

semroc likes this.
  15. wagudc Apr 13, 2020

I would get an estimate of sold listings on EBay as @efauser suggests, come up with a fair price and then see if anyone at The Valejo Elks lodge #559 is interested:

https://chea-elks.org/category/chea...ifornia-hawaii-elks-lodges/vallejo-lodge-559/

You might not get as high a price as you potentially get at auction, but connecting watch with someone who has a tie to it brings good karama.

I once found a watch with an inscription on EBay, and then tracked down the former owner's family.

16. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 13, 2020

From Facebook in 2015:
    Elks Lodge to hold liquidation sale Saturday, Sunday
    Times-Herald staff report

The Vallejo Elks Lodge #559 will hold a liquidation sale from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

Of fice equipment, kitchen appliances, and other items will be sold. All reasonable offers will be accepted.

The building was closed in December as dwindling membership and fundsforced the group to voluntarily surrender its charter until a smaller space could be found to house the group.

For more information, contact Bob Meador, chairman of trustees, former Vallejo Elks Lodge #559 at 480-7866 and/or [email protected].

The Vallejo Elks Lodge #559 is located at 2850 Redwood Parkway.

wagudc and Dan S like this.
  17. semroc Apr 13, 2020

Thank you efauser. I just sent them a message, and email.

18. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 13, 2020

I hope it works out.