Forums Latest Members

Seiko SKA727P1 Kinetic Feedback Needed

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 16, 2021

Thinking of tracking down one of these. Seiko SKA727P1 Kinetic
    [​IMG]
    Any feedback or experience would be much appreciated

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2021

That's a no battery quartz movement that charges a capacitor with a rotor right?

kingsrider likes this.
  3. LuckyLes Apr 16, 2021

Hi,
    If you are wearing the watch regularly they are very accurate. I have a Coutoura perpetual Kinetic dress watch and unfortunately it doesn't get worn very often, sometimes it may be months between outings. It has run down a couple of times and is a real pain to reset. I think the solar would be a better option.
    Cheers
    Les

time flies likes this.
  4. Walrus Apr 16, 2021

Hey, just out of curiosity what is the “pain to reset” I know nothing about the kinetic watches I actually bought a seiko kinetic as a gift for someone, they had requested it so I assume the know about this issue, I hope

5. LuckyLes Apr 16, 2021

No different to any watch but being "aged" and fumble fingered I found the process of setting a perpetual movement a bit of a minefield. A normal day date is no problem. For an every day watch no problems.

6. wsfarrell Apr 16, 2021

You have to spin the rotor a lot to charge it. I ended up opening the caseback, putting a dab of rodico on the rotor, and spinning it a couple thousand times with a drill. Worked great. Don't tell Archer.

kingsrider and Walrus like this.
  7. Walrus Apr 16, 2021

That is a fantastic story but with that info I think I’ll pass I am glad I asked you should have filmed the event that is very precise drill work

8. time flies Apr 16, 2021

@LuckyLes has it pretty much right on in my experience. But don't let that stop you. There's always room for one more. Here's my ska371. 20180914_141134.jpg

have fun
    kfw

Walrus likes this.
  9. time flies Apr 16, 2021

I'm told, though I've not tried it, a charging station for a cordless toothbrush will charge a kenetic. Others claim a contact phone charger. I've tried neither. Also heard watch winders won't. Anyhow.

have fun
    kfw

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 16, 2021

I don’t see how those would work.

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 16, 2021

The explanation of the kinetic movement seems very straight forward. I am just curious about the reality of the movement. Does it hold the charge as described. Descriptions talk in months not days or weeks.
    I really like the case and dial. I am wondering if the case is a little thick. It seems like a block of a watch and I'm OK with that.

12. Canuck Apr 16, 2021

Nor do I! The watch doesn’t move, the capacitor doesn’t charge, as far as I am aware.

Don’t buy one of these to save money by not having to buy batteries! When the time comes that you have to replace the capacitor, you’ll probably spend more than you saved,

Pazzo, marco and Foo2rama like this.
  13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 16, 2021

Wait a minute! is it a Flux Capacitor?

Great Scott!!!!

14. LuckyLes Apr 17, 2021

My watchwinder won't wind mine. I have also read about the toothbrush charger but haven't tried it, I wish someone on here would, and let me know how to do it.
    Les

15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2021

I will believe in the toothbrush charger / contact phone charger when I see a qualified example of the procedure.

Seiko accumulators/Capacitors only cost an average of $AUD20 to 30 each and are no more difficult than changing a battery and probably last much longer than an equivalent size battery.

16. Canuck Apr 17, 2021

You might find answers to some of your questions, here:

https://drop.com/buy/seiko-kinetic-field-ska-watch

If, suddenly, my collection of (about) 125-130 watches was gone, and this Seiko Kinetic stuff was all that was available to me, I’d go without a watch! Good luck trying to have a capacitor replaced for 20 or 30 Aus. dollars! (Or the equivalent).

Pazzo, kingsrider and marco like this.