Seiko Redial? Dial Originality Check and Opinions

Posts
79
Likes
45
Hi everyone,

Came across this one and was considering it, but is it a good redial?

your thoughts
regards

 
Posts
18,730
Likes
38,879
Hi everyone,

Came across this one and was considering it, but is it a good redial?

your thoughts
regards



What makes you think it's a redial?
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
the A in high beat and the 6 in 36000, just looks too thick?
 
Posts
3,145
Likes
6,541
the A in high beat and the 6 in 36000, just looks too thick?
not for me....check the case-back.
 
Posts
9,229
Likes
76,850
Don’t forget that refraction can sometimes distort the image.

If you look closely at the location of the minute markers in relation to the model number, if it’s a redial, whoever did it is exceptionally good.
 
Posts
18,730
Likes
38,879
everything else checks out. this is what spooked me...
If you're going to compare two examples and expect a valid result, you need to use:
Identical reference models (preferably close in production dates), identical camera/lighting/angles/focus.

I can't see an issue with your original item.
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
Hi everyone,

Came across this one and was considering it, but is it a good redial?

your thoughts
regards

I'm a bit concerned about the texture of the dial. This picture and the comparison shot you posted seem to suggest a sunburst dial or something with a similar texture. I think a 452X-8000 should have a more flat white dial, like the 4522-8000 in your comparison shot (which is the same model but with a date complication).
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
If you're going to compare two examples and expect a valid result, you need to use:
Identical reference models (preferably close in production dates), identical camera/lighting/angles/focus.

I can't see an issue with your original item.
Yes I understand. But that would be in an ideal world. As it is often we have at best high resolution pictures. My concern was just with the typography. But I am released that you don't find much concern with as. As I am now the proud owner of my first vintage grand and. 😁
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
If you're going to compare two examples and expect a valid result, you need to use:
Identical reference models (preferably close in production dates), identical camera/lighting/angles/focus.

I can't see an issue with your original item
I'm a bit concerned about the texture of the dial. This picture and the comparison shot you posted seem to suggest a sunburst dial or something with a similar texture. I think a 452X-8000 should have a more flat white dial, like the 4522-8000 in your comparison shot (which is the same model but with a date complication).
It is a star burst on the photo, but as far as I know 4520 8000 came in white sunburst dial
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
If it did, I’ve never seen one. But perhaps it’s some specific kind of patination.
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
Also the ‘HI-BEAT’ seems located too close to the GS logo and too far from the ‘36000’ and the Daini logo is a little off. I wouldn’t buy it.
 
Posts
237
Likes
549
The OP dial looks good. A star burst finish is correct. I'd be suspicious if it were flat white, as it is much more likey to be a redial. If the casback is also good, then I think it looks to be a nice pick up.
 
Posts
10
Likes
100
I don't think the sunburst effect is correct for this model.

Here is a picture of the GS 4520-8000 I own :


This video appears to confirm this (around 10:00) :
 
Posts
122
Likes
388
I don't think the sunburst effect is correct for this model.

Here is a picture of the GS 4520-8000 I own :
That is indeed a correct 4520 dial.
 
Posts
79
Likes
45
OK so the consensus is that this is a redial as the sunburst did not come on these watches. As the seller did not disclose this I will have to send it back.
 
Posts
8,245
Likes
29,122
I'm no expert on the model, but will add that there have long been excellent redials of various Seiko models emerging from South Korea.
 
Posts
3,596
Likes
7,812
Here are 2 that I own
I look closely at the Daini logo it should have a very narrow pencil thin waist. The redials tend to have much thicker waist.
With high magnification some texture is visible on original dial.