Forums Latest Members

Seiko 7005-7080 looking for info

1. wavey Jul 20, 2021

Hello everybody,
    I am looking for information about the reliability and I’ve movement of said seiko.
    There is a nice one for sale on the forum at the minute but I am undecided and haven’t been able to find out that much information about it. Has anybody here got anything they would be able to share with regards to the movement and it’s reliability?

I assume there would be no wise decision in trusting the water resistance either and as such I would probably be saving it for best.

thanks
    Josh

2. Walrus Jul 20, 2021

wavey likes this.
  3. wavey Jul 21, 2021

Thank you, I hadn’t come across this one before. It’s a very interesting article… I think I’ll spring for it as one of the main points of note I’ve seen are it’s ease of repair and availability of parts. Fingers crossed it should be a nice work horse

Walrus likes this.
  4. tritto Jul 21, 2021

The 7005 is a perfectly robust early 70s Seiko movement. It has a quickset date but doesn't hack or hand wind. Should it ever need parts, donor movements are cheap abs easy to find. It can likely be made as water resistant as it ever was, but I still wouldn't swim with it.

5. tritto Jul 21, 2021

If it's been serviced by SirAlan then it's been done right - he's well known in the Seiko community.

Ricbo2010 and wavey like this.
  6. wavey Jul 21, 2021

Do you think there’s likely a decent chance one running at this time will have had some work in the past in that case? The seller says it runs okay but he can’t accurately measure it but if worse came to worst i think I’d be able to get it serviced A-okay going off what I’ve read. I compared his pictures to pics of the 7005a movement on google and it checks out fine

7. tritto Jul 21, 2021

8. Ricbo2010 Jul 23, 2021

If this is the watch Wavey is interested in then it is mine. It has indeed been recently serviced by Sir Alan (full strip down with lots of photos). I don't know about trusting it to be 100% watertight but new gaskets were fitted as part of the service. Again, I have photos.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like any further info or have any questions.