Forums Latest Members
  1. Fulton8or Jul 27, 2022

I purchased an Omega PW late last year as an impulse buy, it was the most visually appealing PW I'd ever seen. That and the backstory was great. It came with its original purchase paper from a jeweler in Krakow, Poland 1931. I had the paper translated - the buyer also bought a 1.05 carat diamond ring. The Omega was listed as 14k extra and ultra-thin. When it came in, it was just as nice as the listing pictures. Since then it has been to Biel for restoration including a replacement balance staff. My question for the forum is on the 38M movement. I can find nothing on Google search and Ranfft pink pages does not list it. Does anybody have one or know the technical specs specs? Thanks in advance! OmegaPWback.jpg OmegaPWdial.jpg OmegaPWpaper2.jpg OmegaPWsellerback.jpg OmegaPWsellermvmt.jpg

2. Vitezi Jul 27, 2022

Hello @Fulton8or and welcome to the forum! You have a 38 M-L movement, circa mid-1920s (and not to be confused with a 35ML). I seem to recall that these were the thinnest movements available at the time. Hopefully @OMTOM can offer you more insight :)

In the meantime, add pictures of yours to this thread:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/pocket-watches-out-with-em-come-on-lets-see-them.71420/

That's a lovely pocket watch case. Is it a Swiss case or Polish? Could you please post a picture of the case maker marks?

Fulton8or likes this.
  3. OMTOM Jul 27, 2022

You ask for some information on the Omega 38M calibre.

The 35M and 38M were sister calibres. The ‘M’ is from ‘mince’ (French for thin). Each had a thickness of only 3.15 mm – amazing! Wristwatch thickness. The 35M was introduced in 1924, only in lépine version, the 38M was launched one year later, in both lépine and savonette forms.

The Omega book AJTT tells us that they produced 3000 35M L and 3600 38M (L & S).

The serpentine layout did not follow previous Omega styles, nor was it continued (like this).

A high-quality movement, generally found in high-quality (expensive) cases – as indeed yours would appear to be.

Fulton8or likes this.
  4. Fulton8or Jul 27, 2022

Thanks for the welcome! I will check the restoration photos that came in the folder, I don't recall if the inside caseback was included or not. If not, my next question would be does a case opening void the two-year warranty Omega provides with the restoration. I will add this watch to the thread you mention. I'll also post another PW I picked up locally that is just as rare, a Waltham Bridge Model. Cheers, Tom

5. Fulton8or Jul 27, 2022

OMTOM - Cheers from another Tom often called Ommie! Thanks for this information, could I trouble you? Does Omega book AJTT tell us what ligne of the movement? It is quite a small movement, certainly smaller than the vintage Seamaster chronometer I wear today. And it is amazingly thin!

6. OMTOM Jul 27, 2022

Tom, the diameter of the 35M is shown as 35.5mm – and (unusually) referred to as being 16 ligne. The 38M is shown as 38.5, 17 ligne.

These watches were made at Omega’s Geneva factory – which at that time was operating in parallel with Biel/Bienne, mostly with ‘special’ calibres. But some calibres at the time (such as the 23.7) were produced at both Geneva and also Biel/Bienne – with numbers in batches that were pre-allocated and are therefore quite different for the two factories. This can be very confusing when trying to date watches! Regards, Tom