Forums Latest Members
  1. iamvr Nov 18, 2020

Dear OF members

I dare to reach out to you again for advice, this time with with a bit more homework done myself than my first poor attempt when I joined the forum a bit over a month ago. Since then I have spent a considerable number of (working :D) hours on OF, Desmond's blog and other resources..

While I am still on a hunt for one Constellation (for the record, my preferred refs are 167.005, 168.005, 14381, 168.010 and 168.004 in that order ;)), I'm additionally also looking for a more affordable daily wear option.

I have until recently also focused on the mid 5xx movements and avoided the earlier bumpers as they are less advanced and apparently more costly to service, but I keep getting drawn to the watches they power as they are just plain beautiful. I particularly like the ones with the sub dials. So my resolution for focussing crumbles and I cave in.

After all the intro here's the watch in question, a 2576-11. I'll have a go with assessing this item, but surely need your help:

Case: Seems in a good condition for me. It may have been polished shiny for sale, but it doesn't bother me.

Dial: Looks authentic to me, I have seen many similar dials on the net. Some have Seamaster written on it, some like this one do not. I'm not usually a fan of patina, but on this one it's fairly even, and it gives me some assurance that the dial has not been repainted. What I noticed is that the lume dots on hour marks look brighter than on the hands, so they may have been re-lumed in the past.

Crown: Looks original for this reference according to cross comparisons on the net, but please let me know if I'm wrong.

Movement: While it is more common to see this ref coming with a 342 cal, at least when searching the net, this one comes with a 344 cal. and according to the OVD it's correct. The serial number dates the watch at sometime around 1954. Overall, I think the condition is OK for the age of the movement, but again please let me know if you disagree.

Price: It's on a Swiss auction side and currently goes for CHF 342 (or USD 375). It's up for grabs at CHF 600 (USD 658). What do you think is a fair price? There is no service history, so I will have to factor in a service.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Here are the pictures:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. onlyomega94 Nov 18, 2020

I would agree with your research although I think the case has been polished more than just lightly. 658 is IMO not way off but a tad on the high side - especially since you have to get it serviced.

3. Rudi99 Nov 18, 2020

Hey, I would say it is most definetely not a redial.

Movement seems also ok!

I have to agree with onlyomega94, the case does look very very polished and to my eye, the inferior right lug looks even thiner than the other one. It might be the angle, or the strap though.

I think the price is not super expensive and with the servicing costs it might be plus 150 or 200€, so it is up to you. If you really like the piece, and the looks of the watch, there is no red flag for me.

4. onlyomega94 Nov 18, 2020

I agree that the case upon closer inspection actually looks very unevenly polished. For that reason I would stay away if i were you, OP.

5. Rudi99 Nov 18, 2020

Yeah, just to maybe make it clearer: I mentioned no red flag, but this polishing would bother me too. It might not bother other people, but for some it would distort the visuals of the watch a bit.

Again, your call, iamvr!

6. iamvr Nov 18, 2020

Thank you @Rudi99 and @onlyomega94 for taking the time and sharing your opinion, really appreciated. I did not notice the uneven lugs, now I do, and they start bothering me as well. Man, knowledge can hurt sometimes. I will pass on this one following your advice. Even if I got it for a lower price than the max, I would not want to spend the same amount on servicing of a watch that has this flaw. And then the purchase wouldn't make any sense at all. I will save the bucks for the real deal. Thanks again for your help.