Seeking advice/ guidance regarding trying to get a signed crystal

Hey guys. Im seeking guidance from anyone who has ever obtained a signed omega crystal for their vintage watch. I got a '69 seamaster that currently has an acrylic crystal. 20200902_113739.jpg 20200902_113729.jpg

I was thinking of how it would look with a signed crystal but before I get fixated on this task, I'd like to know what im getting myself into. How difficult would it be to find a signed crystal that would fit a vintage watch? Should I chance grey market sites or just go to a reputable watch place to assist me. Would they be able to contact omega and see if any of their current crystals would fit ( or did I just make this up and this is not a thing people do)? How much should I expect a crystal to be?

Personally, the dome look of the acrylic is ok. But I think it makes the watch look less sexy and more clumsy. How do you guys feel?

If you can tell the omega logos on these crystals which one is fake, which one is authentic, you are ok to go.

( I am not talking about the sec hands and the dials)

20201210_124419.jpg 20201211_194719.jpg

If you can tell the omega logos on these crystals which one is fake, which one is authentic, you are ok to go.

I had no idea that they faked the crystals.....I'll need to stay on the lookout for that. I can definitely see a big difference between those two photos that you included.

If you have the reference number of the case.

Call a parts supplier and see if they have in stock

Otto Frei, Jules Borel in the US

H W Perrin in Toronto

Cousins in the UK

Haven't bought from my supplier in years, but last one was $35.00 Canadian installed

DON

Small nit, but I always asked that the open end point towards the 6

Haven't bought from my supplier in years, but last one was $35.00 Canadian installed

$35 is a bargain. I would pay that no question over a generic, but the last time I called in to a supply house, I was quoted $75 USD for a crystal and ended up going generic. Even the sealed ones on eBay seem to be going between $50-75.

How difficult would it be to find a signed crystal that would fit a vintage watch?

Personally, the dome look of the acrylic is ok. But I think it makes the watch look less sexy and more clumsy. How do you guys feel?

OP, its not extremely difficult to get an original signed Omega crystal, you just have to call or search around for the one that you need. As mentioned, first find the reference number and then there are a few threads you can find on the forum with lists that have the corresponding crystal. That being said, you will not be able to fit any modern/non-acrylic crystal. There will alway be a dome and that is unavoidable.

Sorry to divert this thread slightly but what is it with the 2 oc marker on the watch? Just noticed it and strange no one else has mentioned it

20201212_085129.jpg

Sorry to divert this thread slightly but what is it with the 2 oc marker on the watch? Just noticed it and strange no one else has mentioned it

20201212_085129.jpg
Glad you asked, I was wondering about it too😁

Yeah. I would say the lack of a crystal logo is the least of your originality worries there!

20201212_085129.jpg
TV channel?

Probably belongs to the same group that has an air- freight business with a flying dog logo.

20201210_124419.jpg 20201211_194719.jpg

I can definitely see the difference. Buying a signed crystal on grey market sites is challenging as the title of the listing will say "signed Omega Crystal", but the photos they incorporate are useless as they are zoomed out pics most of them.

20201212_085129.jpg
20201212_071300.jpg
The watch was a gift to the OG owner for some award won. I believed he worked in a hospital/ Healthcare field but not too sure.

20201212_071300.jpg
The watch was a gift to the OG owner for some award won. I believed he worked in a hospital/ Healthcare field but not too sure.

A well-known search engine find most results for +2 awards are Rotary Clubs. Seems to be a world-wide thing.

OP, its not extremely difficult to get an original signed Omega crystal, you just have to call or search around for the one that you need. As mentioned, first find the reference number and then there are a few threads you can find on the forum with lists that have the corresponding crystal. That being said, you will not be able to fit any modern/non-acrylic crystal. There will alway be a dome and that is unavoidable.
Thank you. So replacement crystals will always be a domed acrylic. I was hoping there's a way to get a sapphire crystal. I have the case ref. # 6292, ill look for the forum that lists corresponding crystals

Thank you. So replacement crystals will always be a domed acrylic. I was hoping there's a way to get a sapphire crystal. I have the case ref. # 6292, ill look for the forum that lists corresponding crystals

You will only find domed acrylic for that reference. And as I said, I'm pretty sure the crystal you're looking for is 063PX5072.