Forums Latest Members

Seeing movement photos before buying online

1. danielbird193 Sep 17, 2019

I'm keen to get some thoughts from the experienced collectors here about how necessary it is to get photographs of the movement of a watch before buying online. I guess any reputable "professional" dealer should be expected to provide movement photographs, and not to do so would be a bit of a red flag. But there are plenty of amateurs selling on eBay and elsewhere who are unwilling or unable to provide photos (perhaps they don't have the tools, the right knowledge etc.).

Do you always want to see the movement before you buy a watch so you can judge its condition? Does the lack of a photo affect the price you're prepared to pay? Or is it a total red flag that would put you off buying the watch altogether?

2. Bille Sep 17, 2019

For me it´s pretty simple. I always ask for pictures of the movement - especially if the price is in the upper class. I learned from bitter experience. One time I bought a watch, and the movement looked like somebody threw a hand granate :-(

3. BradleyJ. Sep 17, 2019

I want to see movement pics to verify the correct movement but after that I wouldn't really know what to look for Haha. I do however look at all the screws to see if they are mangled by hack watchmakers and noobs.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 17, 2019

Have bought several without movement
    A) from seller who obviously doesn’t know about watches
    B) cracking example of a watch from a member here before he had time
    C) from a antique shop
    D) 1000m dive watch with recent service receipt
    E) brand new watch

Buy the seller.

Wouldn’t pay like 3k for a vintage watch without a movement shot from someone I didn’t know. ( under 1k maybe )

SG90 and connieseamaster like this.
  5. Donn Chambers Sep 17, 2019

I don’t know of many big online “professional” dealers who actually show pictures of the movement. They just state their crack team of watchmakers has inspected the watch and verified it, etc. Perhaps some smaller ones do, but i don’t think it’s as common as you think for the “professional” sellers.

I’m all for seeing the movement if I can, but it always amazes me when rather amateur sellers uncase the entire movement to show it, sometimes even holding it in their ungloved hand! Sorry, but that isn’t going to convince me to buy the watch!

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 17, 2019

Hodinkee always gave advise to collectors to always see a movement shot, when they started selling vintage watches not a movement shot to be seen :rolleyes:

7. BradleyJ. Sep 17, 2019

Do as I say, not as I do syndrome lol

8. Dan S Sep 17, 2019

You need to use your judgement. Amateur sellers may not be capable of showing the movement, and if you are rigid about it, you can miss out on some good deals. It's a risk vs. reward situation that takes experience ... similar to poor photos in a listing.

connieseamaster likes this.
  9. Perseus Sep 17, 2019

With the exception of the last watch I sold, I've never opened up a watch to take movement photos for a listing. I've become friends with a local watch maker who was willing to open it up for me at no cost while we chatted.

10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 17, 2019

I haven't been collecting for even a year yet, but I have seen too many photos of scratched watch backs that have fallen victim to needle-nose pliers or those crappy case-back wrenches that you can easily find on Amazon. Sometimes you'd rather that the seller didn't try to open the watch :cautious: I think I read on OF that a wadded up piece of packing tape can open just about any screwback case - I tried it and it's delightfully simple to do. As is said above though, it is always a bit of a gamble, thus buy the seller. If I take a risk on a watch, I aim to not spend more than I plausibly would on lottery tickets

impalla62ss and connieseamaster like this.
  11. danielbird193 Sep 17, 2019

Thanks for all your thoughts. Sounds like the risk of not seeing photos is pretty much balanced with the risk of someone who doesn't know what they're doing unscrewing the case and damaging the watch in the process.

On a slightly related note... Once you do get those movement photos, what are the things you should be looking out for? What would make you think twice about hitting 'buy' if you saw the insides of a watch?

12. Dan S Sep 17, 2019

The wrong movement. Mismatched parts. Rust or bad water damage. Missing parts. Even extreme wear and tear might cause concern.

13. aginoz Sep 17, 2019

Its a numbers game for me. Anyone I know, and have dealt with, will post a movement pic. A watch that is being sold by an estate maybe perfectly fine and I’d hesitate to ask for the case to be opened. We have all seen too many screwbacks and snapons with gouges that make one shed a tear. I don’t want to be the cause of unfixable damage by someone who I believe will hack at the case back with pliers etc. There are watches that can have different movements for roughly the same watch and on a ‘40s 2-reg Wittnauer I want to see a Valjoux 22 and am not interested in something else. Only a pic will do.

14. Vitezi Sep 17, 2019

DaveK likes this.
  15. Wryfox Sep 18, 2019

Movement pics ALWAYS help.

Yes the lack of it affects the amount I would pay, and for vintage watches it will very likely can the sale unless its cheap enough to roll the dice.

16. Dgercp Sep 18, 2019

I always like to see the battery is not leaking :)

17. t268 Sep 18, 2019

"Buy the seller" Yep