Forums Latest Members
  1. dallas7 Feb 5, 2018

• A nice estate find: Omega Seamaster; calendar; cal 562; 18K 0.750 352 14770-SC-61; no original box, band or papers. Ran well and kept time for the two weeks I test wore it.

An Omega certified watchmaker opened it up and confirmed it to be original in all respects and once he related the specs I decided it was worthy of service: main spring, gaskets, reverse gear, crystal, crown all replaced and case light polished.

Anyhow, in scouring the online images I've noticed over the ages the vintage "Seamaster" script on the face varies to some degree. In the majority it's quite uniform; in some others way off, particularly the "S" and somewhat the "r," the latter on mine being particularly funky. And the length of the cross of the "t."

Not knowing precisely which keywords to use/boolean in teh google, my knowledge of that penmanship remains at zip.

Can anyone point me to online references? Or impart some aficionado insight?

Does the nature of the script impart any uniqueness, making some Seamasters stand out from all the rest with respect to collectability and worth? Or is it, "A vintage Seamaster is a vintage Seamaster, you look for and pay for the gold and the jewels"?

Thank you!

Edited Feb 6, 2018
  2. Bumper Feb 5, 2018

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 5, 2018

It’s been redialed. You can easily tell by the minute track not lined by up with the hour markers. Hence the wonky Seamaster script. This alas highly diminishes the value to collectors. This means the dial was faded and someone reprinted the dial. Alas common in the 70’s.

The inside of the case-back has the model number. If it’s a Stainless back it’s gold filled or plated. Once you get the model number you can search past sales on eBay.

Nice looking piece.

Edited Feb 5, 2018
  4. dallas7 Feb 5, 2018

Edited Feb 6, 2018
  5. Bumper Feb 5, 2018

It's difficult to assess the dial from 1 pic, close ups ( like those in the link) & more photos would certainly help. Certified watchmakers may not always know anything about every model.

6. Gordon Heavyfoot Feb 5, 2018

7. kreyke Feb 6, 2018

Back then, redials weren't frowned upon. They were commonly done to "give the watch a new lease of life" Just because you know the owner and states that he is not stupid is irrelevant because it wasn't stupid to redial a watch in the past.

You're aware that you've uploaded a terrible photo that is useless for any evaluation. And that includes evaluation of the dial as well. So it baffles me why you would still upload it, despite being aware of it's usefulness. Like the rest have stated, you need to take the time to upload the high definition photos. You can't really fault anyone's assessment with the photo you uploaded.

It's good that you've done your research and all before coming to us. We just need a little bit more to help you :) Also, don't polish the case!!

8. 77deluxe Feb 6, 2018

+1 redial.

9. dallas7 Feb 6, 2018

All I asked about was the script which was perfectly viewable in the image I uploaded. No assessment was asked for. No evaluation was asked for. No help is needed.

All I had was a curiosity in an historical construct in what may have some limited edition or cult significance about the scripts which vary to such a degree.

However it seems such history was never documented and any knowledge has been lost in the sands of time. As well, I no longer care.

10. kreyke Feb 6, 2018

It’s not sporting to delete the original post.

Keeping the photos and original posts allows for other forum users to use the information discussed on the forum for future reference/research.

cbruce and Bumper like this.
  11. ac106 Feb 6, 2018

How else is going to sell it as “all original” when it’s outed as a redial here.

Guy was a jerk from the jump

12. Vanallard Feb 6, 2018

OP doesn’t strike me as a considerate type.

13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Feb 6, 2018

great first (phantom) post

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 6, 2018

Well to follow up. The minute markers are off centered compared to the hour indices a clear sign of what was common practice and being redialed . As the dial was redone the Omega logo is now in question and not a one of a kind as you alluded to in your original post.

Which I’m sorry you did not understand from my post answering your question in which the evaluation of the watch was central to the evaluation of the logo.

Most watchmakers will not spot the redial, as they are not Omega experts and have viewed thousands of watches from that period that come up for sale.

I’m sorry your disappointed or you took it the wrong way but you asked a question, I’m sorry you did not like the answer.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 6, 2018

The S in Seamaster he posted was almost a circle and not very italicized . It was not something I had seen before. If I remember right.

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 6, 2018

I'LL SAY IT ONCE AGAIN.

REPLY TO THESE POSTS. THAT WAY WE CAN SEE WHAT THE ISSUE IS AND ASSIST OR LEARN.

PRICKS LIKE THIS WHO JUST GET WHAT THEY WANT AND DELETE INFORMATION THAT CAN HELP OTHERS ARE A WASTE OF OUR TIME.

dan7800, Lucasssssss, Davidt and 3 others like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 7, 2018

I'm sure the mods can restore the photos and missing posts...

Davidt likes this.