Forums Latest Members
  1. Rix Mar 17, 2019

Hi Omega fans,

My name is Lasse and I am 31 years old , and live in Denmark.

For some time ago I purchase at second hand Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean year 2015. And I love this clock:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last week I needed to change, the date on the watch and something seems not right!

Every time the clock passes 9 o'clock the watch just stood still. Also when I was trying på set the time på 10 o'clock it seems to get back to 9 hr.

I made a little clip on my phone, so you and the dealer can see the problem.

Thank god there is still warranty on the watch, and it is now on its way back to Omega factory :)

But is it normal with falls on this 8500 Clockwork ? Or have someone in here heart about falls on this model ?

Also, do you think that Omega will make a service on the watch now they opened it to fix the problem?

Best Regards
    -Lasse

Edited Mar 17, 2019
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 17, 2019

They will fix it under warranty. It’s not a common fault.

3. Rix Mar 17, 2019

Yeah iknow they will , but do they make a service to the watch also hm......

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 17, 2019

What do you mean by service?

5. Rix Mar 17, 2019

This watch need a Service for every 5-8 years, new oil and checking all pieces
    And now they got it in,i was thinking when they open it up maby they make a service also!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2019

It is actually. Hour wheel failure.

nurseford25, Foo2rama and rainking like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 17, 2019

By common... I mean reported on the forum.

You of course see many more failures then we hear about.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2019

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2019

So he should worry and the 8500 and related break all the time?

10. nurseford25 Mar 18, 2019

Happened to my aqua terra. It was an hour wheel failure.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2019

::facepalm1::::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

I don't know why you are suggesting such extremes, but this has clearly hit some nerve with you. I wasn't intending to, but the fact is this is a fault that comes up pretty frequently on forums. It used to be just the 1128 GMT watches, but as Omega has rolled this out to other movements, I see it talked about more often.

I'm not saying watches with this feature fail "all the time" or that anyone should "worry" (WTF?) just that it is a common failure I see in my shop and I see reported on watch forums. It happens enough that I've seen some people avoid this feature entirely, while others love it. I've serviced watches where the hour wheel felt fine at service, and within a couple of months the hour wheel failed. That's why I now replace it on every watch I service with this type of hour wheel, even if it looks and feels fine.

If the hour hand advance has been used a lot, to either change the time or run through many cycles to correct the date, it's more likely to fail between services. If you don't use this a lot, it might be fine until the next service, where Omega is also replacing this wheel each time they service the watch.

Jensop likes this.
  12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 18, 2019

What was his question? Depends on what you think he is asking.

Is the way it breaks common across when it breaks? Or is it a worry some movement with a common failure point which means you should be worried after warranty?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 18, 2019

There were several...

"But is it normal with falls on this 8500 Clockwork ? Or have someone in here heart about falls on this model ?

Also, do you think that Omega will make a service on the watch now they opened it to fix the problem?"

Is it "normal'? No, I don't consider failures normal.

Have some heard about this kind of failure? Yes definitely, because it's not at all uncommon.

Will Omega perform a full service when they fix this? Yes, based on the age of the watch they will (or should).

It's a common failure point on watches equipped with the quick hour change. It always fails in a similar way, where the hour hand stalls out around the 9 or 10 area as you advance the hands...

Again how likely it is to fail between services depends on how much it is used. I don't have exact numbers, but I would think most watches make it through to a service without this part failing, but there are also a lot that don't. This is not a part that Omega has updated because it fails "prematurely" or at least causes them enough warranty repairs to redesign the part - it is replaced with the exact same design at service.

People often think that because they personally haven't seen something, that means it doesn't happen. If that's what drove your initial reply to say "It’s not a common fault" then that's fine and understandable (human nature), but it does happen, and pretty frequently in my experience. There's no need to apply the hyperbole you are to this question - I'm not saying anything here that I haven't said many items here and in other places, and there are plenty of watch owners who have experienced this fault. Saying it's a common fault in no way implies that this is some disaster waiting to fall upon every watch as you are trying to imply it does.

It is not an uncommon fault...