Forums Latest Members

Omega GMT Seamaster repair advice sought

1. geepeetee Mar 2, 2016

Hi

(Apologies for the post length but the full story may help)

A couple of years ago my 50th anniversary model GMT developed a problem, the 12 hour hand was moving on intermittently and did not jump one full hour when crown turned. The guy who usually looks after my watches was too busy so i found another repairer quite local. Watch was serviced and all appeared well but after several weeks i noticed the date was changing at 0600 hours. I sent it back and it was rectified but after a few weeks it was doing the same. This went on for a while but communications broke down between us so i just wore the watch as was.

The 12 hour hand is now sticking at 1000 and twitches but doesn't move on. The guy i know is not as busy now so has the watch but he can't seem to identify the problem. He is well experienced (50+ years) but doesnt use the internet hence me seeking advice. He has replaced the 24 hour wheel, setting wheel and experimented with various tensions on the date change wheel. He has said close inspection of wheels show no signs of wear and damage and there are no setting / timing marks he can see. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary

2. geepeetee Mar 2, 2016

Forgot to mention movement is 1128 24 hour.

Thanks

Gary

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2016

Does it looks like this when you try to set the time?

Common failure on this movement, and any others that have the hour hand that jumps in 1 hour increments. It's the hour wheel that has failed:

[​IMG]

As you can see it's 2 wheels in one, and the mechanism that keeps the 2 wheels coupled to each other eventually fails.

I replace these automatically on every watch I service with this style of hour wheel. He will need to ensure that he orders the right height for this wheel - there are several different heights depending on the specific model that the movement is used in. For example the black GMT will use a shorter version that the white GMT (Great White) will.

Cheers, Al

Jensop, beatlunch, Latvas and 3 others like this.
  4. geepeetee Mar 2, 2016

Yes that's it, guess i must have ordered the wrong wheel.

Cheers

Gary

5. speedbird Apr 26, 2016

I've read this a few places over the years. Does it have to do with the thickness of the dial? I mean the reason for there being 2 different thicknesses in what is essentially the same watch

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2016

Yes. The white dial is quite a bit thicker than the black dial version. All the posts are longer, and it uses a different case also.

7. Baz9614 Apr 26, 2016

This exchange of experience and knowledge is awesome and why I enjoy OF. Thanks for sharing Archer!

8. speedbird Apr 26, 2016

Any idea why they used different cases? Seems like a lot of effort

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2016

If you look at the 22345000 and compare it to the 25382000, there are some very obvious differences. The case finish is different, and the bezel is different. So either of those would generate a new case reference. But the differences are more than just cosmetic.

Because the dial is thicker on the 25382000, and the movement locates on the dial inside the case, the thicker dial moves the entire movement back in the case, towards the case back. If you tried to install a movement, dial, and hands from the Great White into the regular black GMT case, the winding stem will no longer come out the middle of the case tube, like this:

[​IMG]

When the crown is aligned on the case tube, the stem ends up being bent. Although it will go together, every time you turn the crown the stem will flex, eventually work harden, and snap off.

Cheers, Al

10. speedbird Apr 27, 2016

Very interesting Al,

I never would have guessed they'd have gone through all that trouble to make those changes when they could have simply put a white dial and all-silver bezel on the 2534.50/2234.50. Quite different than the modular approach rolex takes.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2016

Not sure what you mean by "modular approach" but often there is more to these things than people realize. Certainly some dials on Omegas (and Rolex) can be just swapped straight up, but others can't.

Cheers, Al

12. speedbird Apr 28, 2016

Of course but Rolex uses many core components. Crowns, cases are shared across several lines, i.e. the Explorer case is shared by the OP39, as is the movment, the new AirKing shares the Milgauss case and movement. Bracelets are largely modular, sharing a lot of common parts. Until recently, case backs as well.

All I'm saying is that there are a lot of differences for two watches that look very similar

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2016

Do you know all this for certain? All I'm saying is that many people would look at the 2 GMT watches discussed in this same thread, and make the same assumptions you are about Rolex... :)

14. speedbird Apr 28, 2016

Having a conversation with you is difficult. Ypu always take such an imperious tone

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 28, 2016

Okay - I tried to answer your questions in as much detail as I could. All I'm trying to point out is that after you realized this about Omega:

Is that the same can apply to other brands, including Rolex. Most people who don't work with these every day would not know that there are different heights of many movements out there, so even a standard ETA 2824-2 comes in six different heights....six! Before I became a watchmaker I had no idea of this either...

Jensop likes this.
  16. geepeetee May 8, 2016

Hi again

Ive had my watch to an authorised omega repairer and it seems better. I have noticed that when i set the date on 1st click (12 hour hand jumping 1 hour at a time) it does go out of sync (date change not at midnight) but can be corrected. I ve never noticed this before, is this normal. Is there a procedure to follow when setting the date? Also a little annoying the minute hand is on 10 past when hour hands on o clock but i cant correct this.

thanks

gary

17. beatlunch Mar 18, 2017

A helpful thread - my 'Great White' Seamaster GMT is experiencing the same hour hand problem. Currently seeking estimates as to possible repair costs associated with this. Can someone ballpark the repair estimate please? Thanks.

18. Latvas Nov 24, 2017

Where Can i bye that part

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2017

Unless you have qualified for an Omega parts account, you can't unless you are lucky enough to find one on the open market somewhere.

If you take your watch to a watchmaker that has an account, they can buy the parts directly from Omega and perform the repairs for you.

Cheers, Al

20. rob#1 May 8, 2022

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I have my eye on a 2534.50 GMT - it’s circa 2006 with an 80****** serial number (so that seems to match OK), and I have a couple of questions about the 1128 caliber:

1. Did Omega automatically change the faulty hour wheel on the later serials of this watch, once the fault had been recognized (or was it never officially recognized…)?

2. If the quick set hour change wasn’t employed (by just winding the watch forward with the minute hand) does this circumvent the problem?

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup: