Seamaster honeycomb with poor accuracy [advice needed]

Hi all,

I found this SM honeycomb which I quite like:

Flaw Vintage OMEGA Näher Automatik Kal.471 33 mm Wabe Herren um 1957 #1092 | eBay

The description says that the accuracy is poor - can that be fixed during service?

And do you see any other flaws from the photos?
From my homework, I notice that the seconds hand is odd as extends beyond the seconds marks, the case has slightly polished edges and the back of the case does not have the SM logo.
Is that something bothering and do you see any other flaws?

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Hi all,

Flaw Vintage OMEGA Näher Automatik Kal.471 33 mm Wabe Herren um 1957 #1092 | eBay

The description says that the accuracy is poor - can that be fixed during service?

And do you see any other flaws from the photos?
From my homework, I notice that the seconds hand is odd as extends beyond the seconds marks, the case has slightly polished edges and the back of the case does not have the SM logo.
Is that something bothering and do you see any other flaws?
Please post photos not just links.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Accuracy can be fixed by service, sure. The rest of it's a matter of taste/preference. I suspect the red second hand is incorrect, and the crown and crystal aren't Omega. If that doesn't bug you, and you don't mind the stains on the dial, you're fine.

I suspect the back does read Seamaster; in the caseback pic, it's be opposite from the Waterproof marking. The caseback has been put back on incorrectly—the words should be at 6 and 12, between the lugs, not 3 and 9. Annoying, but likely not a huge deal.

Please post photos not just links.

It is currently listed for USD 450 - is that a reasonable price for this piece?
See photos below:

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.png s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.png https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TVwAAOSwYullAUFX/s-l1600.jpg

It is currently listed for USD 450 - is that a reasonable price for this piece?
See photos below:

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.png s-l1600.jpg s-l1600.png https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TVwAAOSwYullAUFX/s-l1600.jpg

That's very much a personal decision. Most collectors here would pass on this due to the condition of the dial. Check recent sales of 2802s on ebay and decide if the price is right for you. It's (imo) probably close to correct in terms of the market (which make sense, given that the seller's clearly a seller of vintage watches).

If you don’t love it now, it might not grow on you. Walk on, save the money, there is a beauty waiting for you!

Those hands would bug me, the dial is not terrible. A service would help with accuracy.
But new hands, new crown and a service would make it an $800 to $900 watch worth $500. Keep looking.

It's the length of the hands that indicate they are incorrect replacements, red is possible but this one is too long and so is the minute hand.

It's the length of the hands that indicate they are incorrect replacements, red is possible but this one is too long and so is the minute hand.
I tend to agree about the sweep hand, it's a bit long and the tail doesn't look quite right. But the minute hand is not necessarily too long, in fact it might be too short. It looks funny, but Omega used two lengths of hands with these dials. Some reach the minute track and some reach the ends of the markers.

s-l1600.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.23.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.25.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.28.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-06 at 1.31.04 PM.png

I have a soft spot for red second hands, they remind me of the watch I had as a kid (Datum Datex). If I didn't know better I would like it on this watch. The price is OK and it all depends on your taste.

Add to the purchase price the parts cost and labour involved to return the watch to acceptable performance, and it may help you decide if this is the watch for you. That, plus parts availability might be a problem! More likely will be a problem! I’d steer clear.