Forums Latest Members
  1. BGBC Jan 4, 2022

Apologies for the poor pictures - I asked for some better ones and this is the extent of what I've gotten. This is from a Craigslist ad with limited info ("gold-capped, excellent condition").

I'd appreciate any insight from the community on potential concerns with this watch as a potential purchase (dial fonts, crown, case, etc). It's nearby and I can take a look at it in person too.

Thank you in advance.

DeVille1.jpg DeVille2.jpg IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1303.jpg DeVille3.jpg

2. PlainVanilla Jan 4, 2022

Hello!

The case is in bad shape, the glass needs to be changed and misses its tension ring, it seems. The crown is wrong.

3. janice&fred Jan 4, 2022

hard to tell by those pictures if the dial is clean and the markings are just on the crystal. the crown for sure isn't Kosher. I think price will be the deciding factor ;)

4. janice&fred Jan 4, 2022

the tension ring is clearly visible in the pics, and the crystal should be able to buff clean I would think. What's wrong with the case?

5. PlainVanilla Jan 4, 2022

My bad, I thought the ring was missing.
    The first pic shows heavy scratching on the crystal. It this buffable?
    Concerning the case, the lugs seem gummy, especially the bottom right one, which can turn some potential buyers down, I think.

6. PlainVanilla Jan 4, 2022

7. Caliber561 Jan 4, 2022

The crystal may be deformed and scratched, but I'm pretty sure the dial is refinished. I'd pass if I were you. Better examples are plentiful in the wild.

8. BGBC Jan 5, 2022

Gummy is a new term for me. Are you referring to the polishing or a bend in the lug or something else?

I was pretty sure the crown wasn't correct, thanks all for confirming.

Was hard to tell on the dial, especially with the poor photos.

9. PlainVanilla Jan 5, 2022

I'm referring to the polishing. The edges don't seem to be present here.

10. DON Jan 5, 2022

Two lugs appear bent. Upper and lower left from back image. usually done to attach a wider than required strap due to laziness to use the correct one.

Wouldn't buy it unless really cheap and then try to bend back to shape

DON