Forums Latest Members
  1. andreluizpd Dec 2, 2022

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy my first vintage watch and was looking into the seamaster deville with the black dial and crosshair.
    I found one on ebay and was looking for some advice:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3047187382...sUyMh7qWFgpTtW9ciaaBqNNK/z|tkp:Bk9SR4jDweKZYQPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've made an offer for $1350 but I don't know if it's a fair price and can't tell if it's a redial ou there's something wrong with the watch. If someone with more knowledge than me could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. janice&fred Dec 2, 2022

I'm surprised they didn't add Tiffany along with Turler...

Mark020, krogerfoot, Vitezi and 5 others like this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 2, 2022

If you won it, you just pissed away $1350. Was this not a red flag: Original Omega Dial Professional Re-done Cross Hair in Black Color Mint condition. Ask for advice before making an offer. The upside is you have paid the noob tax and will hopefully learn for future purchases.

river9 likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 2, 2022

Sorry, we only had the Türler pad. We can make another pad with Tiffany and Türler if you think it would make more.

Caliber561, Mark020, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  5. Davidt Dec 2, 2022

Certainly a redial. Look at the position of the minute markers.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 2, 2022

The listing says it is.

7. Bruce235 Dec 2, 2022

Harsh.
    Well he did get a nice serviced movement. The dial is not terrible looking . This watch can be worn daily.
    The resale will not be very good, but if he keeps it a long time he can get lots of enjoyment from it.

Spruce likes this.
  8. PlainVanilla Dec 2, 2022

There's a cool trick for you:

If you see WHITE inscriptions on a black dialed Seamaster deVille like this one, it's fake.

Originals have SILVER or GOLD inscriptions.

"AUTOMATIC" and "Seamaster" should be silver and reflect light like metal on an original Don Draper.

Like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Dec 2, 2022
    RevZMan123 likes this.
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 2, 2022

10. PlainVanilla Dec 2, 2022

11. janice&fred Dec 2, 2022

How so? The watch was advertised as a redial, yet the OP made an offer then asked us if it's a redial. If he has to pay for this piece of crap then THAT'S the only thing harsh going on.

Mark020 likes this.
  12. Bruce235 Dec 2, 2022

The post above yours was harsh in tone I thought. OP is not hurting anyone he just paid too much for a worked over watch.

13. janice&fred Dec 2, 2022

Well Bruce, I'm sure the OP didn't mean to come off as harsh. :D

14. TexOmega Dec 2, 2022

:coffee:

Y'all keep falling for the bait

janice&fred likes this.
  15. Bruce235 Dec 2, 2022

This one doesn't bother me. The seller took a beat up de ville with a damaged dial polished and repainted it to a decent standard. Then sold it stating it was refinished. The buyer got a decent watch that he likes that will last a long time.
    A run down de ville lives again.
    As long as no one misrepresents it in the future then good.
    The price paid is not terrible either compared with a broken Speedy and frozen up Air king that I saw sell for more this week

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 2, 2022

Sorry but I disagree. Stating twice that the dial is mint as well as also implying that it is somehow original is blatantly false, clearly done to deceive and rack up a big profit from some nubie that doesn't know any better.

We see it time and time again.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 6.42.59 PM.png

Davidt, dsio, janice&fred and 3 others like this.
  17. Nepomuceño Dec 2, 2022

How do you know it was previously damaged? For all we know they repainted a dial black so they could maximize profits.

janice&fred likes this.
  18. Bruce235 Dec 2, 2022

I don't, but to maximize profit buy the worst example redo the dial and sell. No use buying an nice expensive one to repaint.

19. krogerfoot Dec 2, 2022

I’m not a fan of piling on a neophyte and trying to make them regret a purchase they were happy with, but in fact this kind of behavior seems less frequent than it once was here (maybe I’m just not seeing it). However, this site has an ethos and the OP haplessly tripped over some of the most deeply held principles of many members:
    - Do your research before committing to a purchase
    - Read the seller’s description critically
    - Value originality and condition above all (this is a collectors’ site; if you believe a gleamingly polished case and a repainted dial makes a watch better than an original one that shows its age, that’s great for you, but you’re arguing against settled law in this court)

Given the above, the reaction to the OP is not nearly as harsh as it could be. I really do agree with the generous spirit behind your comments, but as others have pointed out, the misrepresentation in the ad needs to be emphasized for the edification of others who visit this thread. The buyer does not need anyone’s permission to enjoy the watch if he ends up with it, but he said he didn’t want a redial and then offered way too much for a watch that the seller states has been redone right in the title. No one need applaud this deal.

Edited Dec 2, 2022
    Spruce, janice&fred, Mark020 and 3 others like this.
  20. Bruce235 Dec 3, 2022

I am very new around here so my perspective is influenced by that. I like this forum and can learn from the tremendous knowledge here.
    I think a few kind words and some education are what's needed which some members provided . Harsh criticism of an unwitting purchase by a person who didn't likely know that OF existed prior to buying just humiliates and chases people away. Nothing gained only the loss of a potential Omega fan and watch friend.

I note that OP has not commented.