Seamaster Bumper ID and Advice?

Greetings all! New to the forum and to Omegas. I have received my late father’s watch from my mom. This Seamaster has been in a lockbox for over 30 years. It is 34 mm and the watch has a noticeable internal bump to it when rotated…leaving this novice to believe it was internally damaged. After weeks of admiring the watch and doing some research, I gave the watch a winding and rotated it repeatedly, hoping not to further damage the watch. It has kept perfect time for a week now.

I can’t remove the back, so I don’t know the serial number. I am going to have the watch restored and after speaking with Omega, am considering sending directly to them.

Any ideas about the model or suggestions for service and restoration (or any other advice) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Edited:

It would help to know where in the world you are located.

In general, it is recommended to use an independent watchmaker versus sending a vintage watch to Omega, as they may refinish or replace items you would like to keep as-is.

Like 1
It is 34 mm and the watch has a noticeable internal bump to it when rotated…leaving this novice to believe it was internally damaged.
There is nothing wrong with your watch. That is how a bumper automatic watch works.

Regarding service, Omega can certainly do the work you need, but it is going to be expensive and they may insist on refinishing the dial, which I would not do here.

There may be independent watchmakers in your area that can service the movement and give the case a light polish and charge only a fraction of Omega’s price.

Here is information on your watch from Omega.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ck-2576

Yours is one of the nicer original examples I have seen in a while.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Like 1
IMG_7370.jpeg IMG_7370.jpeg IMG_7371.jpeg IMG_7372.jpeg
There is nothing wrong with your watch. That is how a bumper automatic watch works.

Regarding service, Omega can certainly do the work you need, but it is going to be expensive and they may insist on refinishing the dial, which I would not do here.

There may be independent watchmakers in your area that can service the movement and give the case a light polish and charge only a fraction of Omega’s price.

Here is information on your watch from Omega.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ck-2576
Yours is one of the nicer original examples I have seen in a while.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Thank you! Much appreciated!

It would help to know where in the world you are located.

In general, it is recommended to use an independent watchmaker versus sending a vintage watch to Omega, as they may refinish or replace items you would like to keep as-is.
I am located within driving distance to Atlanta, Georgia. I am skeptical of the few places that I’ve been able to locate and speak with over the phone. I’m willing to ship the watch to a highly reputable independent company. I would like to keep the patina of the watch face, have a new crystal installed, have the internal workings and case refurbished. Thanks!

I would be careful with the case too. Don't refurbish it, a good cleaning is all that is needed. Polishing will degrade the sharpness of the edges and greatly reduce the value and honesty of the watch.
Go ahead with the new crystal, that alone will make the watch look great and not hurt value.
Bumper autos are fun to wear. Enjoy it.

Like 2
I have some concern that the dial may have been refinished in the past. The seamaster font appears heavy and the "e"s are different. Automatic may be incorrect and minute marks are inconsistent.
The word SWISS may be tucked under the crystal, but I can see it.
Better pics would help to be sure.

I am located within driving distance to Atlanta, Georgia. I am skeptical of the few places that I’ve been able to locate and speak with over the phone. I’m willing to ship the watch to a highly reputable independent company. I would like to keep the patina of the watch face, have a new crystal installed, have the internal workings and case refurbished. Thanks!
@dougiedude Any changes to the Atlanta watchmaker situation?

I have some concern that the dial may have been refinished in the past. The seamaster font appears heavy and the "e"s are different. Automatic may be incorrect and minute marks are inconsistent.
The word SWISS may be tucked under the crystal, but I can see it.
Better pics would help to be sure.
Here are more pics. I originally stated in my hasty post this morning before work that the watch had been in a lockbox for 30 years. My father past away 30 years ago…that watch has been locked away for likely 50 years. There is little to no chance it has been touched by anyone to alter/re-do the face or inner workings. The word “Swiss” is visible. Any imperfections to the letters on the face are due to scratches on the crystal.

A new crystal is going to really help that watch look beautiful. Thanks for the close-up photos; the lettering looks much better than it appeared in the initial photos.

A new crystal is going to really help that watch look beautiful. Thanks for the close-up photos; the lettering looks much better than it appeared in the initial photos.
Thanks! Now the obvious (and previously stated) question as to who and where should I have this done?

I think a 'local' was paged above for advice in your area.

And some of the Florida members may have recommendations as well.

Like 1
Here are more pics. I originally stated in my hasty post this morning before work that the watch had been in a lockbox for 30 years. My father past away 30 years ago…that watch has been locked away for likely 50 years. There is little to no chance it has been touched by anyone to alter/re-do the face or inner workings. The word “Swiss” is visible. Any imperfections to the letters on the face are due to scratches on the crystal.
These pics do help. I can see that the crystal scratches are causing the letters to look off. I think it is most probably original now. Minute markers look better too. Sub-dial looks good too.
A new crystal is going to transform this watch!

Like 1
Nice original watch. The Seamaster font appears correct for earlier bumper era heres another example from sales post on C24 looks like your exact reference 2576-4. It looks good on Omega Beads of Rice bracelet the one in photo is 8220/11. I would only use independent watchmaker with Omega parts account who is respectful of wishes regarding vintage watch.
I would not ask for any case restoration or polishing. Just have it serviced and replace with Omega crystal. Then you are wearing the watch just as your father saw it. If you restore/polish case you can’t go back.
Enjoy and wear in good health !!!! Welcome to OF please post pics after service
IMG_7773.png

Like 1
My watchmaker is Kelly Hunter at artofthewatch.com. He is Omega-trained, is very good on vintage Omega (and Rolex) and understands the collector community's concerns. He gets watches by mail from all over the US. So, he is an option.

Like 1
My watchmaker is Kelly Hunter at artofthewatch.com. He is Omega-trained, is very good on vintage Omega (and Rolex) and understands the collector community's concerns. He gets watches by mail from all over the US. So, he is an option.
Thanks for the referral! I have reached out to Mr. Hunter. We’ll see what he says about the service etc. thanks again!

Like 1
Your father had good taste! Always glad to see an heirloom piece getting some care, especially an early Seamaster.

Watch repair in Atlanta is a tough game in my experience. Many of the best watchmakers in the city are employed by Hodinkee (formerly Crown & Caliber) and other grays, and are unbelievably slow in accommodating service requests on the side. In my experience, the grays in Atlanta that do take on service requests understandably prioritize their own inventory first - meaning the watchmakers are often busy and not always available to talk to one-on-one, which stinks if you have something important about your watch they need to be aware of (too often, crucial info gets lost in the handoff without direct communication).

Lionel at It’s About Time is absolutely top notch, as is the apprentice watchmaker he’s training. Both are very meticulous and follow best practices. However, I’ve dropped off a vintage Speedmaster with the company’s front desk twice, and asked for the watch to only go to Lionel - and it’s gone to lackluster contractors instead (both were sloppy, and left my watch worse than how I dropped it off).

If anyone knows of an accessible watchmaker in Atlanta that has certifications for OMEGA, Wostep, or CW21, please share!

Watch repair in Atlanta is a tough game in my experience. Many of the best watchmakers in the city are employed by Hodinkee (formerly Crown & Caliber) and other grays, and are unbelievably slow in accommodating service requests on the side. In my experience, the grays in Atlanta that do take on service requests understandably prioritize their own inventory first - meaning the watchmakers are often busy and not always available to talk to one-on-one, which stinks if you have something important about your watch they need to be aware of (too often, crucial info gets lost in the handoff without direct communication).

Lionel at It’s About Time is absolutely top notch, as is the apprentice watchmaker he’s training. Both are very meticulous and follow best practices. However, I’ve dropped off a vintage Speedmaster with the company’s front desk twice, and asked for the watch to only go to Lionel - and it’s gone to lackluster contractors instead (both were sloppy, and left my watch worse than how I dropped it off).

If anyone knows of an accessible watchmaker in Atlanta that has certifications for OMEGA, Wostep, or CW21, please share!
Thank you! Finding someone to do the work is proving to be a difficult task. I’ve dropped a thread asking for members to point us newer members who are struggling to find the right direction. Thanks again! Yours and the other responses are greatly appreciated! CBM