Seamaster 600 & 30 with Black ‘Military’ Style Dial - Reference Thread

Thanks @size11s ill update my database.

Interesting that yours also had an inscription on the caseback. Makes me wonder if these were issued or perhaps bought in bulk by the stores.
The chap I bought it from was the said name on the back, he bought it privately and had it inscribed. These weren't issued. I think the dial design, being reminiscent of military appeals to the military personnel so it isn't really a surprise that a few turn up personalised by military folk.

Like 1
The chap I bought it from was the said name on the back, he bought it privately and had it inscribed. These weren't issued.

Great to know, thanks :thumbsup:

It’s still intriguing why so many of these specific dials seem to have an engraving of some type, when compared to other dials/references

Apologies, I just edited my previous post to say why I think they are sometimes seen inscribed......

Like 1
Good discussion. I never really thought they were officially issued but around two thirds of examples seem to have an inscription to the caseback which includes a number.
Your theory sounds reasonable. I also wondered if due to their ‘military’ styling, the stores/NAAFI stocked them, purely for private purchase, but offering an engraving service.

The chap I bought it from was the said name on the back, he bought it privately and had it inscribed. These weren't issued. I think the dial design, being reminiscent of military appeals to the military personnel so it isn't really a surprise that a few turn up personalised by military folk.

Coincidentally a dealer reached out to me on Instagram this evening to ask if mine was for sale. His research suggests these were favoured by servicemen in the far east in the mid 60’s (but likely purchased privately)

Like 1
Yes, if my memory serves me correctly my chap said Singapore was where he bought his, but he didn't mention the naafi, so I presume the high street. On that note I am surprised how infrequently naafi catalogues are seen for sale.

Yes, if my memory serves me correctly my chap said Singapore was where he bought his, but he didn't mention the naafi, so I presume the high street. On that note I am surprised how infrequently naafi catalogues are seen for sale.

Great, good to confirm that rings true with yours.

I’ve been thinking about an extract for mine so may well have to do so to see if the delivery country matches.

Great looking Seamaster watches, what's their diameter ?

Case measures 34mm without crown.

Hello everyone!

I would like to contribute my Geneve here. Just got it back from service and trying to learn more about the watch brought me to this thread.

Congrats, the dial is an original one.

What’s the country of purchase? There’s a chain of thought suggesting these ‘military’ style dials were originally sold in Asia in the late 60’s.

Congrats, the dial is an original one.

What’s the country of purchase? There’s a chain of thought suggesting these ‘military’ style dials were originally sold in Asia in the late 60’s.
Malaysia. The record indicate that it was purchased in 1969 from a high street retailer.

Like 1
Malaysia. The record indicate that it was purchased in 1969 from a high street retailer.

Thanks. It’d be interesting to see if anyone has any other examples with papers/extracts/provenance to back up or challenge the claim that these were only sold in Asia

Like 2