Forums Latest Members
  1. djc1980 Dec 3, 2020

Good morning,

I have recently received an Omega Seamaster 300m with a 3330 Caliber movement as a gift (very lucky).

I am very new to owning a watch of this kind and have no experience of an automatic winding mechanism at all, so please excuse me if this is a very naive question.

Is it normal for a watch of this kind to make a noise when the wrist is moved? I only noticed it today after wearing it for a couple of weeks. The more excessively move it the longer it seems to last. If I had to describe it, it sounds like something spinning around for a few seconds followed by a winding click noise. It actually sounds like something is loose inside.

Common sense would tell me this is just the automatic winder doing it’s thing but I’ve read so much conflicting information online I thought I would ask on here to put my mind at ease. Sorry if this is old ground that’s been over a hundred times already.

Thank you!

2. amfalconer Dec 3, 2020

Not being familiar with that movement, I can't be sure, but sounds like it is the automatic rotor, some make more noise than others.

djc1980 likes this.
  3. Gui13250 Dec 3, 2020

If the noise come from the rotor rubbing against the caseback, it is an issue.
    But with your watch, I’ve heard people saying that it is just the noise made by the barrel when winding due to the material used (can’t remember which one)

djc1980 likes this.
  4. amfalconer Dec 3, 2020

OP, is this a new watch? And if not has it been serviced that you know of?

djc1980 likes this.
  5. djc1980 Dec 3, 2020

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it’s a brand new watch, fully certified and from an official retailer.
    I do believe it is just the rotor movement making the noise as mentioned, however it would be nice to have confirmation from someone else with the same model.

6. amfalconer Dec 3, 2020

Worth checking, I'm sure someone better qualified will come along soon to set your mind at ease

djc1980 likes this.
  7. PRW Dec 3, 2020

There are a few threads regarding this.
    Mine also has the noise!
    I think the most informative post was from Archer?
    The noise is apparently due to ceramic bearings.
    I saw a post from someone who had just bought the LE No Time To Die 300 and that had the same issue.
    Yes it's normal, hope this eases your worries.

djc1980 likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2020

Cal. 3330 means this is a Seamaster Chronograph, correct? The Cal. 3330 is based on the ETA 7750, and yes the rotor can be noisy. You may also experience what is know as the 7750 wobble - the rotor free spinning in one direction. This is all normal.

Cheers, Al

9. djc1980 Dec 3, 2020

Thank you all for your helpful replies