Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300m diver basic design here to stay?

1. Bucks Jun 2, 2021

The Speedmaster has a timeless design because it has been virtually unchanged for 50+ years. Do you believe that Omega will try to keep the basic design language of the 300m diver the same so that it ages well? I understand that dial colours, waves/no waves may come and go but the bracelet, He at 10 o'clock, scalloped bezel and skeleton hands- will they stay? If it's kept similar it will look good in years to come but if they change it too much it may look dated. What say you?

Commisar likes this.
  2. abrod520 Jun 2, 2021

Probably. It's a unique design in a fairly homogenous segment and it's worked for 25+ years now, so I think it's staying. It's grown on me quite a bit over the last couple years, too

Bucks likes this.
  3. bradurani Jun 2, 2021

Yes, it's a unique, distinctive and successful design

Bucks likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 2, 2021

50 years? The Bond SMP with the He valve, scalloped bezel and skeleton hands was rolled out in 1993-4. I make that 28 years. Perhaps you see an earlier model as its inspiration?

EDIT: I see I misread the original question. Oops!

Edited Jun 2, 2021
    Commisar and Alphasports like this.
  5. PRW Jun 2, 2021

I think the first sentence with 50 years in it was in reference to the Speedmaster?

padders likes this.
  6. DoctorEvil Jun 2, 2021

I think it's a definite "yes" that Omega will keep the basic design features of the Seamaster Pro 300m diver. It's styling is unique and it's still a best seller. Why change a successful formula now?

Bucks likes this.
  7. scapa Jun 2, 2021

Yep.

It's a successful design (very much so, in this version) and is instantly recognizable in a way few watches are. My partner and I were recently watching an episode of a so-so show based on an Aussie forensics team and one of our kids wandered through the room and said "Hey -- that's your watch!" -- and indeed star Ioan Gruffudd was wearing a previous-gen Seamaster pro.

It's also a design that lends itself to various iterations of colour and pattern, not easy to manage, and showcases Omega's technical and finishing chops in interesting ways while being noticeably different from the PO, MC and other lines. So yeah, I think they hang onto those designs cues for one of their main bread n' butter lines.

Bucks and padders like this.
  8. Lbennett Jun 2, 2021

I think it will, it’s just odd bc so many of the cues they are doubling down on are somewhat divisive - he valve aesthetics, scalloped edge ease of use, skeleton hands legibility

9. dukeskd Jun 2, 2021

I love the fact that we have a Submariner versus Seamaster choice to have. The Seamaster in my opinion looks more "sporty" than the Submariner.

10. gbesq Jun 2, 2021

Yep, it’s a classic and the basic design language will remain essentially unchanged. You don’t mess with success.
    image.jpg

Bucks likes this.
  11. WhiteThorn Jun 2, 2021

I love mine and it was a toss up between a sub and this. Created my love of omega (I’m new to this game!).

image.jpg
    Bucks and pete91m like this.
  12. richiv Jun 2, 2021

IMO it is too popular to wholly redesign so I'd expect smaller evolutionary/incremental updates.

Bucks and WhiteThorn like this.
  13. Commisar Jun 3, 2021

Almost certainly. No massive change in 25 years plus it's now a movie star.

Good on Omega for locking down a "modern" diver design.

Bucks likes this.
  14. abrod520 Jun 3, 2021

It's been a movie star almost since the beginning!

upload_2021-6-3_15-55-43.png

Bucks and DoctorEvil like this.