Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300 Titanium: Revolution on the Wrist

1. MikeJF Dec 13, 2019

Good afternoon folks:

As a newer member to the forum, I wanted to create a post that would generate meaningful discussion. I also wanted to address a topic I’ve researched a bit and help educate those who may be in the same boat I was a couple months ago. I know there are contributors on the forum who know more than I do so your feedback/comments/questions are always welcome.

Today’s review/discussion is on the Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium (Ti).

One of my first luxury watches I purchased was the SM 300 SS and it was hands down my favorite watch. I loved the retro aesthetics, the bezel, the size, you name it. The watch felt like it was made with me in mind. A couple months ago, I had the opportunity to add a new watch to my collection: The Trilogy Railmaster. Although excited about my acquisition, I had difficulty justifying keeping both the Railmaster and SM300 since the dials were so similar. I loved the construction of the SM300 and figured I could sell my SS and upgrade to the Ti. I currently do not have a blue dial in my collection and felt it was a perfect fit.

Let’s dive in!

Titanium

Alright, let’s address with the elephant in the room: Titanium. As a watch material, titanium is extremely polarizing; you either love it or hate it. I’ll be honest, I had my doubts about purchasing the SM300 Ti. The purist in me felt SS was the only option, but the more I sit and look at this watch, the more I can honestly say I’m happy with my purchase. Omega upped the ante with its titanium alloy, and it is extremely fitting for this “tool” watch. The Grade 5 alloy Omega used makes for a much harder, scratch resistant alternative to steel and even grade 2 titanium. Omega uses a 90% titanium, 6% aluminum, and 4% vanadium combination. Although I have seen conflicting reports, the Grade 5 titanium is more scratch resistant. I obviously have those hairline nicks on the bracelet, but I have noticed a good cleaning cloth and a dab of water and I can usually “blend” the marks into the metal. It is a huge upgrade from the soft Grade 2 Ti.

The color of grade 5 was a pleasant surprise. I was preparing for a drab grey, however, the grade 5 presents itself as a warmer alternative. You still get that steel look (especially in the polished center links), but you have what appears to be this matte glaze that takes away some of the sharpness of SS when hitting light. The feel of the ti is warm to the touch and it feels great on your wrist.

Weight

No doubt the biggest draw to the SM300 Ti is the weight. There is about a 30-40% reduction in weight compared to its SS counterpart. I was shocked first putting this on. Although a noticeable weight reduction, there’s still a heft to this watch. The casing and movement still provide a solid feel; “top heavy” is a good way to define it. If wearing a NATO or leather band, there’s little difference in weight from the SS model.

Dial

Lastly, I wanted to take the time to gush over this dial. I am absolutely in love with this shade of blue. It’s warm, welcoming, and sparks joy each time I read the time. It’s not your standard blue. It doesn’t come off as annoying and in your face like a lot of blue dials. The matte sandblast finish helps soften it a bit. The beauty of this shade is the way it interacts with the light. The dial and light are in this constant dance, weaving in and out of sharp and dull qualities. It is what you would imagine a dive watch dial to look like. The indices work so well with the blue(s) as well. I know faux-tina is another controversial topic, but the cream/beige tones of the indices mesh well with the dial. It’s a beautifully crafted dial and it is very pleasing to the eye.

Overall Score: 8.5 out of 10

Overall, I am very pleased with the SM300 Ti. As much I have enthusiastically described my watch wearing experience, this is in no way shape or form a knock on the classic SS model. The SS is a beautiful piece and works well with most budgets. However, the SS has been done before. Omega has essentially developed a market on matte black and patina/faux-tina indices. It is tried and true. But the SM300 Ti is revolutionary. It’s off the beaten path and for that, strikes a chord with me. If you are looking for something new on your wrist, this is the watch for you.

59793490533--55042490-2BBB-4B24-B19A-EE194DA91FFC.JPG IMG-4749.jpg IMG-4751.jpg IMG-4752.jpg IMG-4753.jpg IMG-4754.jpg IMG-4755.jpg
    asrnj77, 64Wing, munichblue and 11 others like this.
  2. YY77 Dec 13, 2019

I'm considering this ref myself because of the material use which appeals to me, I saw it listed for 30% off MSRP at an AD. I have 2 holdbacks, I already have a blue dialed watch and the prospect of a possible A13 50th next year leaves me holding funds for now.

Commisar and MikeJF like this.
  3. stevec14 Dec 13, 2019

I like the watch but it’s too long lug to lug for me.

4. MikeJF Dec 13, 2019

I know it can be a turn off to some. I have 7" wrists and I like smaller cases. The three other pieces in my collection are the Seamaster 1948, Railmaster Trilogy, and Heuer Carrera Calibre 18 (all of which have cases between 38-39mm). I will say this is definitely the largest I would go in a case. At 41mm width and lug to lug 48mm, it sits about the length of the wrist. The nice thing about the Ti model is you get that reduction in weight, so it doesn't feel overwhelming on the wrist.

5. funkright Dec 13, 2019

Ti watch on Ti bracelet is just great. Have had several of these watches in the past. It gave me an 'almost lighter than air' feeling. Still on the search for a newer series Omega that has the GMT complication but comes with bracelet (and that isn't a Planet Ocean). Maybe Omega will issue the new Omega Seamaster Chrono GMT in Ti! The original (sans GMT) did come in a Ti version. Keeping my fingers crossed

[​IMG]

6. stevec14 Dec 13, 2019

Yep, but when you include the end links it’s about 51 or 52. Makes it too big for me.

7. MikeJF Dec 13, 2019

Beautiful piece! And I completely agree with you. As much as I love the bracelet, I’m not going to lie, I want to try my SM300 Ti with a NATO or deployment buckle. The brown leather would mesh well so well with the matte blue.

8. MikeJF Dec 13, 2019

If you do decide to purchase this, it will not disappoint!

YY77 likes this.
  9. trama Dec 13, 2019

Having worked as an an idiot machinist, this downright work of art carved out of this particular grade of titanium (that is such a PITA to machine), makes this ti watch an absolute steal! Wear it well.

10. MikeJF Dec 14, 2019

Well that’s great to know! I’ll definitely keep on enjoying it. Any recommendation on upkeep/cleaning/care/etc.?

11. Fabrice M Dec 14, 2019

A beauty, I am considering one for myself.

MikeJF likes this.
  12. trama Dec 20, 2019

Yes. I’ve certainly come to count on my SS version, it’s a fixture for me. Have it serviced at the recommended intervals, all new gaskets etc. It’s only as good as the seals. Dunk in freshwater after a soak in the sea. Play with nylon straps, it’s cheap fun. Enjoy! Post lots of pics.

13. DNX Jul 18, 2020

I just got one of these Seamaster 300 Ti (Blueface with Bracelet) today, new from an AD online - should be delivered early next week - excited to add it to my SMP300m and De Ville collection. Question, how does it wear in size compared to a 2012 SMP300m which for me feels perfect on the wrist in terms of size...i know it will be lighter and thats fine, but at almost 40% off RRP it was a steal for the quality, workmanship and style IMHO.

MikeJF likes this.
  14. MikeJF Jul 18, 2020

Hey congrats on the Seamaster. You won’t be disappointed. That blue dial is just gorgeous and you don’t see very many around. For a 41mm case, it wears rather small. Not having the helium escapement valve has a lot to do with that and obviously no crown guard. It’s very straightforward on the wrist. I’d say the biggest issue I have with it is in thickness. It’s nearly 15mm so it definitely sits high on the wrist. I dress it up often for work and don’t have much trouble wearing it under a jacket sleeve but it will definitely sit higher than an SMP300m.

15. kelpie Jul 19, 2020

Very nice looking Seamaster.

MikeJF likes this.
  16. DNX Jul 26, 2020

Update - the OB called and said they were out of stock so were refunding me the monies...I then enquired about the steel/gold version and they had one left (allegedly in the country) so ended up with 40% off and this beauty instead...

Anyone had one in precious metal or two tone?

Sea300.jpeg
    reeder1 and SkunkPrince like this.
  17. Joeplanetocean Oct 23, 2020

18. Joeplanetocean Oct 23, 2020

I want one but I would like to see it with a black dial.

19. ex-rolex Oct 28, 2020

A really nice watch.

20. UCZ_15 Nov 11, 2020

I never realised how elegant this thing could look in two-tone. Belated congratulations on your purchase!