Forums Latest Members

Seamaster 300(2019) vs planet ocean (2020)

1. sean2k Aug 29, 2020

Hey boys and girls I have the seamaster 2019 which I love very nice watch indeed but when I saw the planet ocean 2020 wow different league altogether have a few questions for you guys... The movement is a 8900 what's it like to live with vs the 8800 in the seamaster? Is it worth the extra money from the seamaster? Is it just a bigger looking seamaster or is it in its own league altogether cheers guys

2. sean2k Aug 29, 2020

Would like some input on this question please

David J likes this.
  3. isgrb Aug 29, 2020

They are very different watches for sure. The PO is thicker but has more of an elegant, refined feel in my opinion. The bezel action is a perfect example, the PO feels much like a rolex, silky smooth and crisp but the SM 300 is harder to grip and requires more effort. I also prefer the PO’s handset to the the 300M but that’s just personal preference.

For what it’s worth I just bought my first PO a few days ago and now I’m going to sell the Seamaster I bought last October. I just know it’s not going to get enough wrist time now to justify owning it.

In terms of moment, i haven’t had the PO long enough to really compare but i will say the accuracy on the Seamaster is fantastic, easily one of my most accurate watches. Was my most accurate Omega by far until i added the 50th anniversary Apollo 11 speedy (steel/gold version). They’re basically tied but I have no reason to expect the PO to be any different.

Ultimately you should go with whichever model you like the best. If movement is a concern I’m sure they’re a wash in terms of reliability. The other difference is you can adjust the hour hand of the PO without hacking the movement. Nice touch if you travel.

sean2k likes this.
  4. sean2k Aug 31, 2020

Hey thank you so much for that What planet ocean do you have?

5. gbesq Aug 31, 2020

When you say the Seamaster 300, I assume that you mean the SMPc (Seamaster Professional diver with the ceramic bezel) and not the Seamaster 300. If so, I would characterize the SMPc as more of a "desk diver" and the PO as more of a traditional workhorse diver, albeit a very elegant one. The SMPc has some style cues like the scalloped bezel that make it more appropriate for business wear. The PO is much more like the Rolex Submariner. Both great watches. You really can't go wrong with either one, but I would view it as a bit redundant to own both.

sean2k likes this.
  6. sean2k Aug 31, 2020

Yeah it is the SMPc its my first automatic watch it's the blue dail version it's the orange and white just looks a mega combo together on the PO cheers for the info/help