Seamaster 2551.80 advice

Hi all!
New to this forum, so this is my first post.
I am looking to obtain my first Omega. Currently I’ve found a seller selling a Seamaster that has got a crown that doesn’t screw all the way in - problem is not very clear. Price most certainly reflects that. I’m aware that service could be costly, but that could possibly lead me to a great serviced watch for a reasonable price. Currently the watch is offered at £1.2k with an extra leather strap. Last time it’s had a service was in 2020 and from what I understand runs well except for the crown screw in problem.

I’d appreciate advice if this seems reasonable, if anyone knows what the crown not screwing back in could be and anything else anyone could add.

thanks!
Edited:

You know it’s a mid sized model right? Its not a 2531, it’s a 2551.80. The middies trade around £1600-1700 even when mint as a full set which is around £400-500 less than a full size. Either the tube or crown need replacing. Or both. Reckon on £200 minimum at a guess, though it may still need a full service which would be rather more. It’s still quite cheap but it’s not a 2531, and those are nicer IMO.
Edited:

Like 3
You know it’s a mid sized model right? Its not a 2531, it’s a 2551.80. The middies trade around £1600-1700 even when mint as a full set which is around £400-500 less than a full size. Either the tube or crown need replacing. Or both. Reckon on £200 minimum at a guess, though it may still beed need a full service which would be more. It’s still quite cheap but it’s not a 2531, and those are nicer IMO.
Thanks for the reply.

My bad regarding the ref no, will correct that. Thanks for the info on pricing. I was aware it's mid size - I don't mind smaller watches since I'm wearing a 34-36mm watches regularly. Spending this much money I'd want to see it flesh and put it on, as I have no idea how it will feel/look on the hand since it's a relatively smaller dive watch with a bezel, so no real understanding on how big/small the dial is.

The dial on the 36mm SMP is very small. It feels like a porthole and the hands are stubby as a result. I’ve owned both and the full size is just nicer. I’d only recommend the mid size if your wrist are less than 7”. The SMP is slim and wears small for its size, even the bigger one. .

Like 1
The dial on the 36mm SMP is very small. It feels like a porthole and the hands are stubby as a result. I’ve owned both and the full size is just nicer. I’d only recommend the mid size if your wrist are less than 7”. The SMP is slim and wears small for its size, even the bigger one. .

I’d only recommend a mid-size if your wrists are less than 6 inches in diameter, or you really like small watches. The full-size of that era wears a lot more compactly than the modern version. I wore one for years on my 6.5” wrist and it did not look too big.

Like 2
I'll stand up for the mid size. I've had both sizes as well and if I could only keep one it would would be the mid size. My wrist is just under 7 inches. I actually find that while the mid size obviously has a relatively small dial due to being a diver, it's still very legible and for me the hands suit the dial size. The full size actually feels like the dial is a bit big with some wasted space and especially on the 2531.80 before they increased the length of the hands, they do seem a little small for the dial, which is relatively large for a 41mm case compared to something like a Seiko SKX which has a 43mm case but a smaller dial.

Although undoubtedly a slimmer watch compared to the modern variants and very wearable, the bracelet is of a somewhat chunky style and doesn't taper, so that certainly gives the watch more presence than it otherwise might have. I wear both of mine on the bracelet, but on a rubber strap it would be a different story and there's no question the larger size would then be the choice.

Like 2