Seamaster 1948: deal or no deal

First, this is a reissue of the Seamaster from 1948, so the hand set is exactly correct vis a vis the original watch. Criticism of the hand set is completely nonsensical in that context. Second, it is not a so-called “dress” watch like the JLC or the other alternative watches being suggested. In 1948 it was a sporty watch designed to be worn in the city during the week then at home at the weekend without having to worry about activities like sailing or tennis etc. once you wear one you will realise the watch has quite a presence on the wrist and is most definitely not simply a dressy trinket. Third, the 1948 Seamaster is one of Omega’s more limited Limited Editions with 1948 of the centre seconds version in steel plus 70 in platinum and the same number for the small seconds version. Compare that to the 7007 Seamaster Professional James Bond “limited edition” from a few years ago or the thousands of Speedmaster limited editions and there are not many of these about. While it may not go up too much in value yet it will not lose too much either. As for the case back it is a non-issue, you do not see once you are wearing it and it is fare less fussy than non-owners make out. I have the 1948 Centre Seconds, the 1948 Small Seconds and the much earlier 1948 London 2012 Olympic as well. I like the design and so can say that they all wear well but the Centre a seconds is my favourite as it is actually fairly unique looking watch given that Omega do lots of small seconds watches. It also has SLN on the hands and markers making it useful at night.
If it were a faithful reissue of the 1948 watch the hand and case sizes would be the same as on the original, they are not. The original second hand extended to the tick track and no further. To my eye the other hands are also out of proportion. Criticism of the hand set is utterly sensical in fact…

Thank you. The GS you referenced is very nice. Probably speaks to me more than the Glashutte, due to its simplicity and overall looks. Will definitely try this one on the wrist before I pull the trigger on any purchase. Thanks again for your suggestions!

Wishing you a fun journey in discovering and evaluating each option in person. Enjoy, and please keep us posted on your final selection!

Wishing you a fun journey in discovering and evaluating each option in person. Enjoy, and please keep us posted on your final selection!

Thank you - and yes… I will share my final decision (and compulsory wrist shot) here!

Thank you - and yes… I will share my final decision (and compulsory wrist shot) here!
Late to the party here, but I am fortunate enough to own both the central and small. Love them both and pairing them with various nato straps. They work with a host of colours.
Good luck with your choice.

Josh

IMG_9718.JPG

Late to the party here, but I am fortunate enough to own both the central and small. Love them both and pairing them with various nato straps. They work with a host of colours.
Good luck with your choice.

Josh

IMG_9718.JPG

Thank you… they both look great on the green nato and the brown strap!

So first off, thanks all for the opinions and suggestions. Your comments all provided helpful perspectives as I considered my decision.

After thinking it over, I have taken the plunge and am now a proud member of the 1948 club! Picked up my central seconds model yesterday and couldn’t be happier with it. I love the JLCs (also looked at the Master Ultra Thin date). The GS Elegance is also a very nice piece.

Ultimately though I chose the 1948 because, to me at least, it is so distinctive with its bold vintage design. I know there is criticism of the case back, but for me that was never an issue. And I actually like the proportions of the hands and dial a lot on the central seconds, although I know not everyone will agree (it’s appearance is what led me down this path in the first place).

I’m very happy and feel lucky to have been able to get my hands on what seems to be one of the few “new” 1948s still available.

Thanks again! Compulsory wrist shot below 😀

So first off, thanks all for the opinions and suggestions. Your comments all provided helpful perspectives as I considered my decision.

After thinking it over, I have taken the plunge and am now a proud member of the 1948 club! Picked up my central seconds model yesterday and couldn’t be happier with it. I love the JLCs (also looked at the Master Ultra Thin date). The GS Elegance is also a very nice piece.

Ultimately though I chose the 1948 because, to me at least, it is so distinctive with its bold vintage design. I know there is criticism of the case back, but for me that was never an issue. And I actually like the proportions of the hands and dial a lot on the central seconds, although I know not everyone will agree (it’s appearance is what led me down this path in the first place).

I’m very happy and feel lucky to have been able to get my hands on what seems to be one of the few “new” 1948s still available.

Thanks again! Compulsory wrist shot below 😀
Congratulations. 😀. It looks fantastic on that strap. What is it?

Regards
Josh

Congratulations. 😀. It looks fantastic on that strap. What is it?

Regards
Josh

Thank you! The strap is the regular blue one it comes on (maybe the lighting in the shop is playing tricks with the colour).

Thank you! The strap is the regular blue one it comes on (maybe the lighting in the shop is playing tricks with the colour).
Yes, looked black to me 😀. Going to find my blue strap later and put it back on. Inspired by yours. 😀

Yes, looked black to me 😀. Going to find my blue strap later and put it back on. Inspired by yours. 😀

I’ve gone the other way! Couldn’t wait to try it on the brown strap 😀