Forums Latest Members
  1. Capt Cave Man May 20, 2020

Just before lockdown in the UK way back when, I went to my AD to pick up my wife's De Ville, 551.0066 after receiving a much needed service... yes... I know... never send a vintage to Omega... as it was in such a bad state my SO or as I prefer, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) was over the moon with the results so, brownie points earned for when I do eventually buy another piece :cool:

Whilst browsing in said AD, I noticed they still had a Seamaster 1948 Small Seconds LE available and I was able to try it on... bare with me, I know this is a modern piece and I'm posting in the vintage forum...

Now being at home all this time, and being unable to drive my toys and also being in a good place with other collections such as my vintage Staw Wars figures I've found myself browsing and reading up some of the posts relating to this and the consensus seems to be that the Seamaster 2576 is the model it was based upon.

In my weird world (read head), I've imagined purchasing a limited number of pieces and possibly to buy a vintage and it's modern re-issue or as close as, some examples:
    Constellation pie-pan vs. the Globemaster
    Seamaster 2576-1 vs. the Seamaster 1948 LE
    Speedmaster Prof vs. the err... Speedmaster Prof*

As such, over this extended period I've found my myself googling the likes of fleebay, C24 as well as monitoring Private Watch Sales here on OF.

My reason for posting is that there doesn't seem a huge amount out there and that 'refinished', 'redialled' or 'polished' appear to be the main options whilst prices appear to have only recently exceeded the £1k figure so am unsure of realistically priced pieces.

I'm continuing my homework but in general, does anyone else have similar 'issues' :confused:

Regards,
    Lee

*This may or may not involve infinitum versions of such pieces :whistling: ::facepalm2::

DaveK and pdxleaf like this.
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! May 20, 2020

I like your plan and have gone a little down that road myself at times. I have owned ‘40s Seamasters and ‘60s Speedmasters (I couldn’t stretch to a 50s one). I also applaud your inline linking, classy netiquette! If you are looking for a good 2576 I would think you’d eventually find a nice one for no more than £600-700. Less even. There seem to be fewer sub dial ‘76s out there than the centre seconds 2577, that would be easier to find. This was released along with the ‘76 in 1948 and also was reissued in 2018 so is a viable pair. When you can, post a WTB for an all original 2576 and be prepared to weed out the chancers asking too much.

Edited May 20, 2020
    Capt Cave Man likes this.
  3. Capt Cave Man May 20, 2020

@padders I had considered the centre seconds paired with a 2577, I've followed the more popular choice and as such, rarer of the two - it's a bit more quirky, I guess that's the appeal...

Whilst I'm hopeful (at least until October) to get on some sort of list for a Snoopy Award anniversary piece and saving like a mad man, I'm maintaining some resemblance of sanity in looking to pick up a 2576-1 as a celebration piece for when we end lock down.

Oh, thank-you re: netiquette :D I really need to consider a modern phone as well to take some decent pics, then I'll be fully sorted with no excuses :thumbsup:

4. pdxleaf ... May 20, 2020

I know little to nothing about vintage seamasters but I have also considered the original vintage vs modern approach.

Please continue to share your experiences with the 2576/2577. I am intrigued.

5. DON May 20, 2020

I always got a premium on the sale of the small second models as they were more popular than the sweep

Mine got the full restoration and majority didn't last a day before they sold

People hanging onto them I guess

DON