Seamaster 176.007 with 1041?

Hello everyone. New member here with a question I am hoping you can help me with.

I am trying to restore my grandfather's Seamaster in the 176.007 case. It is the gold dial with gold plated case.

My grandfather has passed, but I believe he is the original and only owner.

This watch has the 1041 movement in it but my understanding is that movement only came in the speedmaster.

Is everyone 100% sure the 1041 never appeared in a seamaster?

Some photos attached. Thanks in advance and please let me know of additional photos would help.

Could be a long wait for a response from either I would think, seeing they last visited OF 1+ year and 8+ months ago respectively.

Like 1
Could be a long wait for a response from either I would think, seeing they last visited OF 1+ year and 8+ months ago respectively.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

That is interesting. The 1041 was used only in the Speedmaster 125 (or so I thought) and all other Mark III type Speedmasters and Seamasters got the 1040.

Looking at your picture of the movement, it is definitely a 1041 and not a 1040 with a 1041 plate (where the movement # is stamped). The bridge (where the serial number is) has the “adjusted five 5 positions” text, which was only on the 1041.

Only way to know for sure if that movement came with the watch from the factory would be to get an extract from the archives (which I don’t think is available anymore). But I suspect it was replaced at some point in the life of the watch.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight Donn

Inside the case back it is engraved (pi)W6246. It has the actually pi symbol, I just don't know how to type that. Perhaps that marks the replacement.

get an extract from the archives (which I don’t think is available anymore).
Just a little wait to get one again:
upload_2024-6-23_14-57-38.png

Inside the case back it is engraved (pi)W6246. It has the actually pi symbol, I just don't know how to type that. Perhaps that marks the replacement.
That is just a watch makers mark, most likely has no meaning at all, except to that particular person.