Seamaster 1000 'The Grand'....?prototype

Hi All

Last week I was not looking to make another purchase but stumbled across this watch in my travels and was immediately interested because all the parts look to be original (albeit well worn!). But then I noticed the serial number stamped on the case and realized I potentially may have a rare bird in hand (of course I couldn't help myself and grabbed it).

That being said, I can only find piecemeal and very limited info on these 'prototypes'. As I understand it, Omega gave them to important dive organizations back in the 70s for 'testing'. Does anyone know anything more about these watches? And does the provenance have an impact on it's value? (Disclaimer; not looking to sell just curious what I might have here).

I have yet to open it up so do not know the serial of the movement. But that's next!

Cheers

Very nice watch! I strongly recommend to apply for an extract of the archive since many of these watches went through movement swap during service.

Very nice watch! I strongly recommend to apply for an extract of the archive since many of these watches went through movement swap during service.
That is the plan once I crack it open!

Yes I have seen this excellent website. However the info on these 'prototypes' is pretty thin. I was hoping someone in the community could add?

The man with the answers can be found on the AUTHOR page

In order not to hamper his research he prefers to remain anonymous
however he can be found on Instagram @t_solo_t.

He’s happy to be emailed for all or any questions at [email protected].

What did you pay for it?