Forums Latest Members

Scratches from bracelet removal - Merely cosmetic?

1. rahul718 Mar 31, 2021

Hello everyone,

I'm normally not one to remove bracelets and straps often, if ever, but my PO2500 was on very old spring bars and I wanted to swap them for new OEM replacements. In the process I noticed a few scratches on the lugs, probably due to previous bracelet/strap removals, but I also noticed a very slight indentation that the bracelet end links left on the case. My question is are scratches on lugs from spring bar removals and end link indentations the kinds of things that can remove the finish over time and lead to corrosion? Not at all concerned about cosmetic blemishes. This thread shows what I'm referring to, along with the scratches that come along with bracelet/strap removals.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/end-link-tabs-eating-through-the-lugs.60883/

Yes, I know tape should be used for bracelet removals and the proper spring bar tool.

I know 316L Stainless steel is used for these cases but can corrosion/rust still occur if scratches get through the surface?

Thanks!

2. wsfarrell Mar 31, 2021

It's extremely unlikely that that something like that would lead to corrosion.

3. Bp1000 Apr 2, 2021

Nothing will corrode. Some gold watches of past would discolour which is why these days gold is mixed with other metals to keep the colour consistent. The new seamaster 300 bronze/gold is a great example of this.

Spring bar dings are usually masked with a very simple polish at service.

Deep indentations are usually corrected to some extent with a simple polish, but still exists and will be noticeable at certain angles, in certain lighting if you go looking for it.

A pristine watch is actually the least I enjoy a watch. Naturally you don’t want to scratch it but once it gets a few scratches dents and dings you put it on your wrist and enjoy it to it’s fullest.

Older steel watches do have pitting due to corrosion but I’d be extremely surprised if this happened on a modern PO with modern cases. You’d have to really abuse it and not keep it clean.

Edited Apr 2, 2021
  4. scapa Apr 2, 2021

It's an interesting question. I know that it's something we are aware of with some medical/surgical tools (generally made from 316 or 416l), where contact with various organic and cleaning fluids can produce light pitting and maybe localized corrosion, but I'm not sure that you'd see it often in the kind of marine-grade steel I imagine Omega uses, which should retain its resistance to corrosion all the way through the metal. Have seen it on hardened metals from Sinn and Damasko, but never on standard SS sports watches, especially from a brand like Omega.

Edited Apr 2, 2021
  5. Dan S Apr 2, 2021

I can't say that I've generally seen significant corrosion associated with that type of indentation on the backs of the lugs due to the end links. More often I will see some pitting on the actual case surface between the lugs. Perhaps that could be partly promoted by constant wear (and removal of a passivating layer) by the end-link or perhaps because moisture is retained in that area.

Edited Apr 2, 2021
  6. SkunkPrince Apr 2, 2021

I pay zero attention to it. If the backs of my lugs are all scratched up, too bad whoever ends up with my watches when I'm dead!

nismo likes this.
  7. watchfisher Apr 2, 2021

Depends on where. The link the OP posted appears to be from contact between the bracelet end link and the lugs on the case. If the bracelet isn't removed, you'll never see them. That said, that pic shows improper fitment between bracelet and case, and motion between the two allowed the surfaces to grind, leaving marks.

On the inside of the lugs, when changing straps, extra care needs to be taken to keep the spring bars from grinding prior to them seating in the hole. Depending on the owner, and how carefully the bracelet / strap was installed, these can look like light marks, or deep grooves.

My 2 pesos? I think any evidence of markings shows carelessness in one form or another.

8. rahul718 Apr 2, 2021

I guess I’m more concerned with the scratches that come with the changing and removing of straps and bracelets. As mentioned it’s something I rarely do and when I do I use a proper spring bar tool. You mention deep groves can result .... I wouldn’t say I have those, more like light scratches. Based on the replies here it seems like corrosion/rust is not likely so I’ll leave it at that. Even though theoretically it still is possible.

I look at it this way.... Stainless steel Omegas have been around for a long time and people have been changing and removing bracelets/straps for just as long. I’d like to believe if there was a high chance of this happening we would have heard more about it

appreciate the comments guys