Forums Latest Members

End link tabs eating through the lugs?

1. Skyblue44 Jul 18, 2017

Hello everyone.

I took off the 1479 bracelet on my 3590.50 Speedy, and noticed that there are significant gouge marks made by the endlink tabs, probably from rubbing against the backside of the lugs.

I have noticed this happening to my other Speedies with the newer bracelets (1498 and 1998), but this seems to be slightly more significant as I can feel the scratches when I run my fingernail over them. They are definitely deeper than the marks caused by the newer bracelets.

I cannot remember if these marks were here when I first got the watch 2 years ago, and am wondering if there was something I did since getting the watch that caused these marks or made worse something that was already there.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or is this normal? It doesn't bother me tremendously, but I would like to prevent this from getting worse.

20170719_074246.jpg

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 18, 2017

You have two metallic surfaces in constant contact with constant movement (when worn). It's just a fact of life and there would be hundreds of thousands of others just like yours.

You could always put it on a NATO though, problem solved.

(That was a joke).

Cheers

Jim

wsfarrell likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 18, 2017

I would check the end links for any excessively sharp burrs - if there are any I would stone them off to create a more rounded surface.

You ant as little movement between the end link and the case as possible, so for the style of end links that can be bent, making sure they are tight is a good idea. Also using the correct spring bar can prevent abnormal movement (a thinner bar can allow more movement).

Cheers, Al

4. Skyblue44 Jul 19, 2017

Yes, I also think that this would be a common issue, but in this case it seemed a little abnormal since the endlinks seemed to be actually digging into the back of the lugs somewhat instead of just leaving friction marks.

5. Skyblue44 Jul 19, 2017

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Al. I did suspect one of the end link was moving around a little more than it should and that the spring bar inside had something to do with it.

I will also take a look at the endlinks. They are solid so no issues involving bending, but there may be a sharp bur I suppose.