Forums Latest Members

Safe Deposit Boxes Aren’t Safe - NY Times

1. Morlock Jul 19, 2019

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 19, 2019

Yes Interesting...Insure and document your watches. Its expensive but so are stories like this.

MarktheTime, billving and CJpickup57 like this.
  3. rkman11 Jul 19, 2019

And of course it’s Wells Fargo...

byunjoe, Etp095, KingCrouchy and 2 others like this.
  4. calalum Jul 19, 2019

That is truly f@#$&ing scary.

MarktheTime likes this.
  5. CJpickup57 Jul 19, 2019

That is a terrible story to read. I cannot even imagine that man's sadness.

Syrte likes this.
  6. billving Jul 19, 2019

I agree, need to insure. But sadly, I do agree that the bank should be responsible. I can see where they can claim they are not in many cases because anyone can claim that anything is in there later (unless they want to disclose, and I bet some cash only businesses would not want to!), but in this case they opened the wrong box, they inventoried it, they did not have a notary, and they lost items in storage. I don't see how they are not totally responsible for it.

kkt likes this.
  7. flw history nerd Jul 19, 2019

Very disturbing indeed. I remember my dad keeping a number of small family heirlooms in a safe deposit box at his local bank in rural Maine, which he used for years. He recently told me that he had withdrawn everything and was keeping all of the items at home. I wasn't sure what to think about that, but it looks like it was a good idea.

It doesn't surprise me that the bank is fighting the court battle tooth and nail ... no matter how much they pay in attorneys' fees, they don't want to end up being found liable and having a precedent set for other possible lawsuits.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  8. septentrio Jul 19, 2019

I hope the pieces one day end up in his rightful possession again... terrible story.

9. Evitzee Jul 19, 2019

A truly bad story but there are some things we can learn from this debacle.
    1. These things seem to happen at large banks. Really no surprise there, they are always consolidating, selling, transferring and staff turnover can be high; standards are often lax or criminal as we have seen at Wells Fargo. Yet I'm sure there are some OF members who still bank there. It is worthwhile to seek out a smaller, community bank for your banking and SD box needs. You know them, they know you.
    2. Don't ignore correspondence from your bank, the victim always claims 'I never got the letter', but it was probably overlooked, ignored, thrown out, spouse opened it and never told the other, whatever. Keep on top of your financial stuff.
    3. Don't put stuff in the box and leave it there for years. Go in to the bank once or twice a year, sign in, open the box, make sure everything is ok. Make sure there have been no unauthorized intrusions.
    4. Do not automatically assume that if you insure your watches that you are on easy street. Unless you have strict documentation, recent appraisals, receipts, photos, etc every insurance company is going to scrutinize a claim, especially if it is a massive loss like what occurred here. An insurance company will look for every way possible to deny, or reduce, any claim of loss. Don't get complacent on values.

Personally, I live in a town of about 12,000, I've been banking at the same bank, which is part of a small bank chain, for over 16 years. Although the bank has changed hands several times the people remain the same. I have no fear that they are accidentally going to drill my box open by mistake. But if I was in a large city they probably wouldn't know me from Adam, and wouldn't care. So choose your bank carefully, in this case small is probably better.

And let's remember, losses like this are very rare, most SD boxes are never tampered with or broken in to, or what happened in this case. Keep it in perspective.

10. Gstp Jul 19, 2019

Banks are so passé

Benbradstock and Spacefruit like this.
  11. Texasjohn Jul 19, 2019

Nothing in life is guaranteed, mason jars and a shovel is the only other option.

12. jhross98 Jul 19, 2019

For me a safe deposit box cuts insurance costs like 90 pct vs watches i keep at home. I just tell the insurer when i swap watches out. Why on earth someone wouldn't insure contents is beyond me

jetkins likes this.
  13. Muddlerminnow Jul 19, 2019

My mother tried something like that: mason jars in the attic insulation. Filled with silver dollars and stuff like that. Then when she died--oh, but you know that part already.

14. calalum Jul 19, 2019

Which insurer and do you need to get regular appraisals?

15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 19, 2019

Never store your valuables in a bank which is not a stand alone building. Too easy to break in from the neighboring basement.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 19, 2019

My father used to say

Never let anyone else look after your Wife, Kids or Valuables

marco, KstateSkier, noelekal and 7 others like this.
  17. CaptainWinsor Jul 19, 2019

When I was a kid I remember being at my grandmothers digging in the yard. Her husband went nuts because of where I was digging. We found a jar of nails buried there. We always wondered what else might have been there

18. timjohn Jul 20, 2019

Clearly some people still believe in them. I went into the headquarters of a large Hong Kong bank a month or so ago to ask about hiring a box and the nice young woman told me that the waiting list was 20 years...

19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jul 20, 2019

Unless you and the bank together inventory every item in the box carefully and with excruciating detail how is this even possible? You would have to document all details of each item every time time you enter the vault...this is simply impossible and a setup for enormous fraud. Especially with vintage watches or coins...even if you did jointly inventory the contents, who is to say they are not fakes...or how do you determine value when condition is the difference between 6 figures and 5 figures. It is impossible. And frankly the majority of those storing items in a bank vault don't want this information shared or recorded. This is precisely why safety deposit boxes are not covered by the same regulations as your cash.

As the article points out...in most cases people simple forget exactly what's in the box, or that they removed an item years earlier...or that a relative had access.

20. Kokito Jul 20, 2019

My national brother, it's so frustrating. Take care Mr. Poniz.