Forums Latest Members

Of course it was an Omega! Interesting read in NY Times

1. wkimmd Jul 5, 2018

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 5, 2018

? EC7A00B8-E5EF-48FB-8D5D-7B9AC194C730.jpeg

3. ulackfocus Jul 5, 2018

Yep, that is DEFINITELY an Eterna Centenaire 61.

Of course, the article does have the word "Omega" in it, and if the OP had taken the time to actually read it instead of skimming over it, he would have seen that the Omega was a watch the spy had once returned from Switzerland with, and not the watch pictured. :rolleyes:

4. wkimmd Jul 5, 2018

Haha - you got me. I read this line - “From one visit to Europe, he returned with an expensive Omega watch. The Mossad has found documents showing the watch was purchased in Switzerland.” and assumed it was the pictured watch.
    Well done @Vercingetorix and @ulackfocus

I will self-:whipped: now

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 5, 2018

I stared at the dial thinking "That says Eterna, but maybe I'm wrong" for two whole minutes until I decided you were wrong.

Waltesefalcon, SteveZ28 and Lonestar like this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 5, 2018

Well technically Eterna became ( ok spawned) ETA which is under the same roof as Omega...

:Edit: Fixed to correct vagueness inherent to the English language.

Edited Jul 6, 2018
    SpeedyPhill, ulackfocus and wkimmd like this.
  7. wkimmd Jul 6, 2018

thanks for the support :cool:

Davidt and ulackfocus like this.
  8. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

Uuummmmmm, not exactly. ETA was spun off Eterna in 1931, when ETA was recognized as a movement maker while Eterna was still known as a complete watchmaker. Eterna still exists separately of ETA to this day.

SpeedyPhill and Foo2rama like this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

The picture of the watch is so out-of-focus, I can see why someone would think it is an Omega.

It is also possible that he owned more than one watch.
    gatorcpa

10. rcs914 Jul 6, 2018

The article is pretty clear that the "Omega" he purchased and the watch that they recovered were supposed to be the same watch, which they obviously aren't.

"Mr. Cohen occasionally traveled to Europe, and from there to Israel to meet with his operators. He used to come back from these visits, like a wealthy business executive, with luxury goods. From one visit to Europe, he returned with an expensive Omega watch. The Mossad has found documents showing the watch was purchased in Switzerland.

Forensics experts, photo experts who examined pictures of Mr. Cohen with his watch, and other experts were recruited. Swiss archives and records were also examined. About three months ago, the experts concluded that this was the famous spy’s timepiece."

Now I'm going to guess that there was a mistake in translation, or that the writer of the article summarized a bit too much there, rather than believing that the Mossad's forensic experts authenticated an Eterna as an Omega. :D

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 6, 2018

Perfectly plausible that he bought an Omega in Switzerland. Also plausible that he bought an Eterna on another trip. The watch on his wrist in the picture might be the Omega. I'll take their word on that.

I suspect there is a very good reason for the discrepancy. I doubt we will ever know what it is.
    gatorcpa