Forums Latest Members
  1. emagech Apr 14, 2021

Hi,

I just got an Omega Deville Prestige (caliber 2500) today and I’m surprised about how loud the rotor is. -> https://imgur.com/a/isrHuVS

Is it normal ?

cheers

2. timoss Apr 14, 2021

I've never had one of those but the automatics I have do not sound even close to that loud. That's what rotors sound like on the fake knock offs I have seen on Canal Street...

emagech likes this.
  3. Donn Chambers Apr 14, 2021

Look at this thread:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/no-time-to-die-rotor-noise-updated-with-video.115982/

Not your exact watch, but if yours has the new ceramic bearing on the rotor, it can be that loud. I don’t know anything about these resurrected 2500 movements in the new DeVille’s, but the older ones are not that loud. I suspect they “upgraded” it to the ceramic bearings in the new release. If you purchased it brand new from an AD and are certain it is real, then I would assume it has the ceramic bearing mentioned in the other thread.

I doubt you will notice the noise when it is on your wrist unless you are really swinging your arms around.

emagech likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 14, 2021

Is this a ref. 42413402001001? If so, this would have a 2500D - uses the same steel ball bearing that the 1120's and 2500's have used forever. No ceramic upgrade.

If this is a new watch, I would take it back - there's something wrong.

Donn Chambers likes this.
  5. emagech Apr 15, 2021

Thanks for your feedback. Yes its it's this ref indeed. The watch is not really new, bought in 2016 but never worn by his ex proprietary.

eternalover likes this.
  6. eternalover Apr 18, 2021

Mine sounds a bit scrapey. I have a brand new minute track black face co axial non power reserve and a 2018 power reserve and they have the same thing it is a feature of these watches and sadly sounds a bit cheap . But I am happy w watches and they keep good time.

Alfista88 likes this.
  7. Alfista88 Apr 18, 2021

Agreed with eternalover. I got rid of my 8800-caliber Seamaster triology because the rotor spin sounds reminded me of cheap Miyota movements. Sadly, that characteristic is tied with the technology of the present. With JLC, Omega, Rolex, VC, and countless big names adopting ceramic ball bearing rotors over the last 10 years.

I'm glad Omega still gives us a choice with some silent-rotor movements like the 89xx range.

emagech - both watches I've had with 2500-caliber movements also had audible rotor sounds. One a Deville Prestige, and the other a Seamaster 300 (2220.80). However, both were noticeably quieter than the current generation 8800 caliber. On models like the 39.5 PO and Seamaster divers, I can hear 8800 rotor-spin in boutiques even when holding the watch at an arm's length.

8. emagech Apr 18, 2021

Thanks for your elaborated feedback, appreciated.
    I have an appointment tomorrow at Omega’s store with their watchmaker, wait and see.

9. emagech Apr 19, 2021

So, the watchmaker from the Omega flagship store opened the watch and inspected it closely, since the watch was not being used since years the oils were a bit dry.

He spent 15min with it, did some oiling and screw checks and now the watch’s is way better. Still on the loud side compared to other models (due to the case shape/design regarding them) but definitely less annoying.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2021

Hang on...a proper watchmaker at an Omega store just added oils to a dry watch?!

11. emagech Apr 19, 2021

Well I wasn't there to see exactly what he did but it's what he said. Yes, a proper watchmaker with a branded gown in the flagship store.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2021

Well, just so you know it's very poor practice to just add oil to a watch. It should be fully dismantled, cleaned, and fresh oils applied to only cleaned parts. Did he mention at all that you should get it serviced sometime soon?

13. Bugbait Apr 19, 2021

Ouch. When my NOS Omega DeVille developed timing issues (loosing time in all positions and out of spec) they first tried to regulate it (good for a few months then issues again) before performing a full service on it. Sure, they screwed up the first 2 times but when they got it right it was a full overhaul, not just re-oiling some parts.

14. emagech Apr 19, 2021

Thanks for your insights. The watch has never been worn and spent the last 4 years in a safe so I assume it wasn’t that dirty. When I mentioned the need of a full service he told me that the watch was fine for at least the 3 upcoming years.

15. Butik Apr 19, 2021

Yeap, pretty old movement with one-way winding and it may get bit noisy when speeds up. I have same effect on mine Prestige Power Reserve, just live with that.

16. Donn Chambers Apr 23, 2021

can you tell us where this Omega store is so I know to avoid it in the future for service? As Archer said, this isn’t a really good practice. While it might have made you happy and cost you no money, your watch probably needs a full service. If the oil dried up in the bearing for the rotor, it’s probably dry everywhere else.

I know a lot of people complain about watchmakers (or auto mechanics) pushing “unnecessary” repairs, but I frankly have never experienced that because I go to people I trust. I worry more about the techs who tell you everything is okay and it isn’t.

17. Hugo stuglitz Nov 13, 2022

Hello everyone,
    I just bought my first Omega (De Ville), brand new, from an authorized seller, year of manufacture I think 2021 (it's on the box in which the watch came). After reading many posts, I know that rotor noise is to be expected, but I wonder if the one in my watch is correct (it seems louder to me than when I used to watch it in the store).

There is always some noise in the store, so I can judge it all wrong. I'm a bit surprised that such a brand as Omega produces such loud mechanisms nowadays (considering that Tissot or Longines are silent).

The watch was sent to me by parcel, so I thought maybe something happened in the transport. At the seller, after sending the video, they say that it is ok.

Attached video - owners of their 2500 movements, please judge if I should be worried or everything is fine.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 13, 2022

Seems louder than it should be...

19. Hugo stuglitz Nov 15, 2022

I think so too.

I sent it back to the seller - waiting to see what they say.

Thanks for the answer.

Edited Nov 15, 2022
  20. morethan1 Nov 15, 2022

sounds like the rotor is touching the movement